It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haitian farmers call on US to stop subsidizing its own

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Sure its only rice for now, supposedly, but who knows what it will end up[ being after the Senate is through with the Bill.Now as I read the article it seemed somewhat reasonable, I mean I'm all for lower prices at the grocery store, but I don't think it's all the farmer's fault either. But then I don't have a background in farming and have no idea what the bigger picture to all this would bring on implications. I do think it would turn out to be a raw deal for our farmers. So good deal or bad deal let me know what you think.

Jacob Kushner

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Deep within Haiti’s beautiful Artibonite Valley, a man wades barefoot through loose mud that comes up to his knees. .Now, following decades of enormous subsidies to US farmers, Congress is considering reversing that policy. Since 1995 the US has given over $13 billion in subsidies to American rice farmers and continues to provide hundreds of millions each year. That keeps the price of American rice exported to Haiti significantly lower than rice produced by Haitian farmers, who receive no such assistance from their own government.The Senate began hearings last month on the 2012 Farm Bill — the five-year law that dictates America’s fundamental agricultural policy. On the table is the elimination of direct subsidies to US rice farmers, which Haitian agronomists say would give Haitian farmers like Jesu-car a chance to at last compete more evenly with rice from abroad.

edit on 29-4-2012 by 1loserel2 because: correction

edit on 29-4-2012 by 1loserel2 because: typo

edit on 29-4-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The PR department will ensure that corporations get to use Haitian resources (people, land and politics) to continue making profits for themselves.

There is no hope for that island as long as governments are protecting corporate interests under the guise of rebuilding their nation.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

We should end subsidies so.... Haitians .. can grow rice and other crops to sell to the US Consumer? Why the hell should I care about Haitians? I'm going to support American farms, subsidized or not, over foreign growers any day.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Why the hell should I care about Haitians?

Why shouldnt you care about Hatian's?

It is attitudes like yours that helps spread demonic American Imperialism across the world.

And you are happy for the American Government to stick it to Hatians of all people? That is disturbing.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

America should go home and leave the rest of us alone. Eat your own rice.

That’s because this farmer who rents a small plot of land he tends without modern tools or fertilizer is competing with giant American rice companies that produce hundreds of thousands of tons of better quality rice — and ship them to Haiti at artificially low prices.

www.globalpost.com...

This is sickening. More good American's are waking up to these Imperial practices every day. You are the minority.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Why the hell should I care about Haitians?

Why shouldnt you care about Hatian's?

It is attitudes like yours that helps spread demonic American Imperialism across the world.

And you are happy for the American Government to stick it to Hatians of all people? That is disturbing.

America should go home and leave the rest of us alone. Eat your own rice.

Demonic American Imperialism????

The 2010 Haiti earthquake left up to 316,000 people dead and 1.6 million homeless.Massive homelessness and displacement continues and does not appear to have significantly abated. Government agencies were also hard hit. Two days afterwards thousands of U.S. troops arrived to aid in the earthquake relief effort and relief agencies are playing a large role in rebuilding Haiti's infrastructure, while taking care of the short-term emergency needs of the many injured and displaced Haitians

I guess America is really giving it to Haiti then??

What is really hilarious is that you are posting this on an American owned website!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

What is really hilarious is that you are posting this on an American owned website!

Do you really think all Americans cheer for demonic American Imperialism? Many are good people. Most in fact. Also many Americans are informed.

And whats so funny?

Also if you read the article you would see at the top of the page

GlobalPost's year-long effort to answer an elusive, multi-billion dollar question: "Two years after Haiti's devastating earthquake, where did the aid money go?"

www.globalpost.com...

It seems you dont understand how Demonic American Imperialism works. Please read this.
www.la.org.au...

They take your tax money and send it to American owned corporations working in Haiti. Thats how it works.
“Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.” -- Douglas Casey - classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University

I have a thread that explains the 'Aid' scam in more detail amongst other things
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Whats funny again?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You fail to realize that the subsidization of those farms in Haiti is coming out of YOUR taxes. Scrapping all of that would benefit both the American people as well as Haiti.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626

America does not own this website.

The troops hit the ground, to protect the future investment opportunity, nothing more.

The buzzards in Haiti were no different than the relatives of rich guy; waiting to spend whatever they can scavenge.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
www.fourwinds10.net...

"In 1986, after the expulsion of Haitian dictator Jean Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) loaned Haiti $24.6 million in desperately needed funds (Baby Doc had raided the treasury on the way out). But, in order to get the IMF loan, Haiti was required to reduce tariff protections for their Haitian rice and other agricultural products and some industries to open up the country's markets to competition from outside countries. The US has by far the largest voice in decisions of the IMF. "American rice invaded the country," recalled Charles Suffrard, a leading rice grower in Haiti, in an interview with the Washington Post in 2000. By 1987 and 1988, there was so much rice coming into the country that many stopped working the land.

Quigley interviewed Father Gerard Jean-Juste, a Haitian priest and human rights advocate. "In the 1980s, imported rice poured into Haiti, below the cost of what our farmers could produce it," Fr. Jean-Juste said. "Farmers lost their businesses. People from the countryside started losing their jobs and moving to the cities. After a few years of cheap imported rice, local production went way down." By 2008, Haiti was the world's third largest importer of US rice, receiving some 240,000 tons that year alone."

join