It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis Experience

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Just wanted to share some sleep paralysis experiences. The 'floating down the stairs' thread got me onto this and it's put real shivers up my spine so want to get it off my chest!

The first time sleep paralysis (SP) happened to me, I was about 20, and I can remember the dream to almost exact detail even 8 years or so later.

I was on a coach, nice sunny day and there was a girl sitting opposite me (damn I'm getting the worst shivers typing this!!). It was actually part of a recurring dream where I'm travelling in America, haven't got a clue where I'm going, i'm just sitting back taking in the scenary. However, when I made eye contact with the girl opposite me, her face suddenly changed into what you would imagine a demon's face! The only way to describe it would be the Grudge- mouth wide open, black eyes.

I guess the sudden shift in the dream to a nightmare made me wake up. I was on my back, wide awake, yet I could not move at all! The room was pitch black and at the end of my bed was a figure, it was sitting down facing away from me, I couldn't move and I was terrifed waiting for the figure to turn around and face me.

It lasted for a only a minute at most, but seemed like ages.

I was certainly awake, and gradually the feeling came back to me and I slept with the light on for the rest of the night!

Afterwards I made sure I slept on my side to avoid it happening again, but everynow and then I roll over in my sleep. If I am asleep on my back it is almost 100% certain to happen to me.

The next time it happened, the exact figure was there again and I remember screaming, I got so angry and violent I was petrified yet I wanted to face it, I was screaming at it to turn around and I was willing to fight it no matter what it was! At no point would it turn around. The next day I asked my brother if he had heard me shouting in my sleep because I was sure I would have woken him up but it must have been in my head because he insisted he hadn't heard me.

Since being willing to confront it- and you wouldn't believe how angry I was, I was in a pure rage, I couldn't move but the anger and willingness to fight it was incredible- since that time, the figure has never returned. Whilst I'm aware of the scientific explanations of SP, I find it very interesting it hasn't returned since that time. If I do roll onto my back I wake up and have the SP sensation, but it passes very quickly and I turn back over.

Just wanted to share that. I wonder why the experience of SP is always bad and haunting- what is the scientific explanation for there being a common recurring theme of a figure or presence in the room, and why does this presence feel so evil and negative?

I know there have been similar threads, I just wanted to share my experience.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
i only get sleep paralysis when on my back, the first time i think i was about 4 years old. scared the crap out of me, happend a few times when i was younger and once last year. i think of it as just something that happens now now and then and it doesn't bother or worry me.
my method to escaping the sleep paralysis is concentrating on my arm closest to the edge of the bed and getting it to move off the bed as a kind of shock to wake me up. that and heavy rapid breathing.
not sure if my arm moves or not but i always wake up whithin about 5 secs of trying.

the shift between dream and nightmare is horrible, it is usually the faces that get scary.
once i dreamed i was at some party and was talking to a bunch of people, the party went quiet and everyone started screaming with a black eyed stretched demon like face. dreams are weird.
edit on 29/4/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I think that we can come up with a scientific explanation for just about anything given that those explanations involve facts, figures and other kinds of proof that can be observed or something. But it may not be possible to prove spiritual matters scientifically.
So when such things are put to the test, the spiritual aspect is dismissed yet the scientific information may be a result of spiritual activity.

I also avoid sleeping on my back which is much harder to do when I sleep during the day. So now I just don't sleep during the day. Instead, I go out and move about until the weather improves enough for me to stay awake

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

Hey dude,

you may not like the answer, but there is one...it's the same as people who have recurring alien abduction experiences (at least the spiritual kind...not necessarily the physical kind)

stopsleepparalysis.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

you're account is similar to many people who have SP.

Again, I put a link above but do yourself a favor and investigate what the link has to say...

Also, the link IS current research being done and it's based on testimony, so you can help with it by filling out the survey.

STOP SLEEP PARALYSIS

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I have a similar tale, i went to bed, all seemed normal, turned on my side to go to sleep, then without seemingly going to sleep, almost immediatly, felt a presence in the bed behind me, sending a shiver down my spine and every hair stand on end...i froze awhile then felt more movement and turning over saw a fromer partner lying face down in the bed beside me naked...

My next, somewhat irrational behaviour, all things considered, was to lean over her and initiate shall we say intimateness, at which point 'she' turned her face aound off the pillow and it was that of a classic demon. Now i'm sure up to this point psychologists would be thinking they could make a pretty open and shut case about this 'experiance', but there was much to follow...

Basically there was a struggle, i was pushing the demonette off the bed, finally kicking her off the edge with my legs and feet which she struggled to hold onto, and then when off the bed she dissapeared, i got up to turn on the bedroom light but the power was off, as it had been earleir in the day due to a storm, i went to the bathroom and tried that, the same.

Whilst at the top of the stair i saw ghostly like figures in the dark down at the bottom, which didn't scare me as i decided then i was lucid dreaming, so i went down the stairs and out the front door, were surprisingly it was brilliant in light, i then continued for some time to explore the astral realm.

The fun part of this tale is that eventually i arrived at a house party in the dream realm, were there was what might be described as a cool chick dressed all in black leaning nonchalantly against a wall, i asked her were i was, and she said 'oh you don't know, well sorry to inform you of this but you're dead'...

She went on to explain that what had actualy happened that night when i got in bed was that someone had been waiting in the room, attacked and killed me with a knife from behind, and currently my bloodied corpse was awaiting discovery, the weird demonette struggle was just my minds way of coping she suggested, this seemed plausible and she handed me a drink, and said never mind, you're here now make the most...

At which point i awoke properly and it seemed scarcely a moment had passed from my head first touching the pillow...true story.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Kantzveldt because: typo

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Im not sure the reason for Re-ocurring dreams but im pretty sure they are quite common, ive had a few myself.

I wouldn't say SP is always scaring and haunting. You just have to realise the fact that you cannot get hurt, after you're only hallucinating. But yeah it can quite scary.

There's actually cool things you can do while in SP. There's a lucid dreaming technique called a WILD (Wake Induced Lucid dream) where you can enter lucid dreams through sleep paralysis, but this takes practise unless you are just naturally good at it.

Ive never succeeded with technique but ive been close, ive got to the point where i was hallucinating but then i just fell asleep lol.

But anyway my main point was that i guess its not all that bad since you can enter lucid dreams through it

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FaceLikeTheSun
reply to post by listerofsmeg

you're account is similar to many people who have SP.

Again, I put a link above but do yourself a favor and investigate what the link has to say...

Also, the link IS current research being done and it's based on testimony, so you can help with it by filling out the survey.

STOP SLEEP PARALYSIS

I visited that link and now I'm wondering, I don't think I have any of the other reasons for it apart from obsessive research. Though I wouldn't call it an obsession. I have been visiting ATS for some years now out of curiosity and most of the threads I read are in the Gray area. Before that, I used to search for similar topics on Google.
Does that mean I have to reduce on the 'Gray subjects' or something?

Then my sister told me she had SP but prayed about it and it stopped.
I did the same too and it's been quite a while.
But recently I've had this vibrating sensation when I go to bed and someone told me it was the beginning of an out of body experience. But I don't want that either, it's been a while but I've concluded it's not a safe place to go.
edit on 1-5-2012 by Divinefavor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
if memory serves me right ur on ur path to mastering ur spiritual form, these SP is just a way the soul stays in the body while ur soul tries to be released into lucid dreaming which is a part of the divines from where we r given conciousness these creatures u keep seeing arent tryin to do anything bad to u, more likely aliens or interdimensional souls that r tryin to help u release ur soul and learn to communicate with them without fear or emotions that bring u back to the physical world once u learn to master ur emotions u will be given more visions and they will tell u more about this world but dont let it get to ur head or let ur mind play tricks on u about them or else they will play with ur fear and thats something u do not want to do as well as u will have more nightmaress the more u focus on the nightmares and u will have happier dreams as long as u focus on happier dreams

top topics

join