It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC To Broadcast Live From Abortion Clinic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
An educational opportunity? Hearing the truth on abortion no matter where it leads?
Or just a two hour pro-abortion commercial paid for by the British taxpayers?

Telegraph UK

Due to air next month, it will feature interviews with women undergoing terminations as well as doctors and counsellors at the clinic.

Pro-life campaigners criticised the move, saying it amounted to “free advertising” for abortion, but pro-choice advocates welcomed the programme, saying it was a chance for it to be presented in a way that was not “couched in terms of controversy”.

In case you were wondering what the pro-abortion people think are 'terms of controversy' ... here is a statement from one of their reps ...

Darinka Aleksic, campaign coordinator for Abortion Rights, welcomed the programme. She said: “There is so much scaremongering and misinformation about abortion, in the media and especially online, that any move to destigmatise the procedure is a step forward.

“Provided it is handled sensitively, then this could be a useful way to let women know about the reality of abortion: that it is a safe, legal and common medical procedure. “I am quite glad to see it not couched in terms of controversy for once.”

'Not couched in terms of controversy' ... okay .... So it looks like they will be getting rid of the negative aspects ... not showing the dead children .. the shredded limbs ... the burned bodies from the chemicals ... the fact that many women after having an abortion suffer from depression and fertility issues ... etc. So this is going to be one big commercial by the BBC in favor of abortion?

If they really wanted to let women know about 'the reality of abortion' .. they'd include informatin about how the baby dies, and what the woman will experience because of the abortion (such as the depression and fertility issues that so many have to deal with afterwards).

BBC Criticized for Plans to Broadcast Live From Abortion Clinic

“News that a publicly funded radio station – BBC Radio 5 – is going to record inside an abortion clinic is being seen by many of us as biased support for the abortion lobby,” said Josephine Quintavalle of the ProLife Alliance. Quintavalle called the move “contrary to the neutrality that is obligatory under the BBC charter,” in comments to CNA April 27.

The two-hour live program will take place next month at a location yet to be disclosed. The BBC says it will feature interviews with mothers who are having their babies aborted as well as with clinic staff.

Radio presenter Victoria Derbyshire, who will host the broadcast, told the Independent newspaper April 23 that she wants to give listeners “an insight into an area of British life which is taboo.

The BBC .. where it gets it's funding

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This just seems...off to me. Regardless of your opinion on it, abortions are a medical procedure. Its not like abortions are a "new procedure" that should be documented. The knowledge of how things happen in an abortion clinic are common enough. I'm sure the woman in that clinic may want to option to have the procedure anonymously.
It just gives me a sick feeling. It's not a stunt or a charade, in some cases it's a life-changing medical procedure. Why put these woman through more trauma?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

edit on 29-4-2012 by MarlboroRedCowgirl because: double post

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'll leave my comments until after watching it, but maybe it will not act as an advert , but as an education that may make young people think more carefully about contraception.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Have the BBC broadcast, or do they have plans to dedicate the same amount of air time to the other side of the story, the alternatives, etc? I can bet they have. Contraception and adoption are sure to have had their time on the BBC, so maybe this is just them making sure all angles get a fair hearing.

The BBC may be corrupt, but its not entirely corrupt. It still does offer very good programming in some areas.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It seems you've judged the programme before it's been shown.

And how the BBC get's funded is a matter for British taxpayers.
Personally I think there are some excellent programmes on the Beeb which make the licence fee value for money.....and it's free from incessant interuptions from advertisements etc.

Of course there's a load of crap on it as well and it is often used as a vehicle to promote the government and elite agenda etc.

But we do get the occassional programmes that push and challenge bounderies and ask serious questions of society.

With all due respect, if it's not to your moral liking then I suggest you simply don't watch, pretty simple really.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarlboroRedCowgirl
Why put these woman through more trauma?

I would imagine a person would have to give their 'okay' to be on the BBC talking about their abortion .. or having them in the room when she has an abortion .. or whatever. But still, abortion is a tragedy and it is hard on the women even if the abortion industry doesn't acknowledge it. Those who say 'it's just another procedure' dont' get it. There is a lot more to it than that.

If this is being used for education ... great. But from the sound of it, it sounds like it's going to be a 2 hour pro-abortion commercial rather than a real documentary exposing all sides of an issue .. both good and bad.

I'm wondering how the Brits will feel about their tax money supporting this.
Then again, the Brits tax money supports ol' Prince Charles and Camella ... etc etc.
So I guess they can't be too picky with what is done with their money.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The BBC run radio services too. This live broadcast is on the radio. It's not on television.

That's why they can't show pictures of baby body parts etc. It's on the radio.

And, frankly, the ones most likely to need abortions don't listen Radio Five Live anyway. So it's hardly going to either educate them one way or the other. As to the costs involved, well, they're going to have to broadcast something in that slot anyway ... so the "taxpayer" is paying for those two hours either way.

I don't see what being a monarchy has to do with it, tbh.

new topics

top topics

join