The Curse of Coincidence (call it synchronicity if you like)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This is something that I've been experiencing for a long time now - at least 10-15 years. I don't think I'm alone in experiencing it, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there in ATS world might understand it a little better.

I guess what I'm essentially talking about is synchronicity. Meaningful coincidences, and particularly high numbers of these sorts of coincidences. In my case, and to me this is the real curse of it, those coincidences generally revolve around the things in my life that I'm most unhappy with.

For a while there I wondered if they were perhaps signs of some sort, whether from a divine being, some sort of spirit guide, a higher self - whatever. But they never seem to lead me in any real direction - they just highlight the things that bug me in my life. At my most extreme it feels like god himself is jerking me around for laughs - but most of the time I try to approach it a little more rationally than that!

I do appreciate that much synchronicity is probably self-generated, and that we have an impact on the world around us and even events on an energetic level. But I'm really sick of this crap, and I really want it to stop. I do try to stay positive, and even if I don't always feel that way I try to be positive in my approach to the world. Other than that, I don't really know how to stop this sort of thing happening - or on the flip side embrace it and even use it to my benefit.

I'm also definitely aware that even being aware of the concept of synchronicity makes you more aware to these sorts of coincidences in your life - but some of the stuff that happens to me is just mind boggling. These are not just random occurrences that I'm attributing meaning to - there's something going on here!

Over to you ATS. Has anyone else experienced this, and more importantly - are you able to shed any light on what it means or how to embrace it?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I too have for at least 25 years experienced this. My life is so full of it, it is normal to me.

I see it as an acknowledgement of my awareness. At times it does feel like the divine is pulling pranks, but I see it all as a lesson in my spirituality. Did I learn the lesson or am I bound to repeat it?

I see it as a gift either way. We are all connected on a miniscule atomic level anyway and all the interactions you have with the environment affect others in a spider web of synchronicity.....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I really know what you're meaning here,...for the last 10 years it's been the same here.The more i trie to be ''good'' the more my life keeps pointing me to bad ocurrences that i've been trough...over and over again..Maybe something is telling me that those are the things that i need to overcome or let go..but like you said..how can i do that
edit on 29-4-2012 by SoulVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Can you give us an example, I for one find the post rather vague without examples.
Maybe I am just oblivious to details in my life that I don't tend to notice the smaller things.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
You have described my daily life. Over the years, it was not as pronounced..mainly numbers such as times repeating themselves.
This past year has been off the charts.It occurs almost daily and in short bursts of time. Some of them I can figure out, some leave me wondering.
It usually starts as I see or hear of something outlandish, vague or uncommon. Then in very quick sequence, it is repeated at least three times or more (usually within 1-12 hours) in various forms..eg. My mom will text me and tell me something referencing the exact same odd thing, or I will suddenly see it on the news, or read it over and over in various locations. Often, it is a sequence in numbers (such as 11:11, 404, 444, etc.). More lately it has been groups of words or situations.
From Thursday (this would be a good example). I was driving around doing errands and deep-thinking. I asked God aloud who he was, to help me understand, to please show me. I went back to driving and stopped at my son's school to volunteer. About an hour later, I was helping the kindergarteners make clocks. I told them to pick their favorite time and show it on the clock. One little guy said "I made mine say 100 o'clock!" I looked and he had written 100 and drawn hands to face it. I got a chuckle and praised him on his creativity. After that, I went out with my son at recess to push him on the swings. When we came in, another student ran up to me and exclaimed "We had a battle and we won 100 to 1!!" The second 100 sparked my attention but I forgot quickly.
About 20 minutes later, I left and drove to Panera to get some soup (I had a molar removed on Monday and it's all I have been eating
). I got in line, placed my order, and sat down to find that my order number card was 100. That gave me an odd feeling, especially since it is not a common number I personally see. I glanced at my receipt and found at the bottom: "Rachel 100". My name is Rachel, but the girl who took my order is also named Rachel. The receipt made me feel like it was a direct message, as it were. Anyway, the number repeated several times throughout the day. I guess I can say I got my answer!
I looked into it and found the number 100 can mean completeness, a whole, and can also symbolize the Sun (something I have been researching and obsessing with lately).

Anyway, that is just a small example of what happens to me all the time now. It used to be less frequent..now it happens one right after the other.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
thanks for the example bastet you have made everything more clear to me now

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mesaana

I will try to give an example, although in my experience the weight of the coincidence never quite seems to come across in the retelling.

To start with, my name is Steve. So probably the biggest issue I have personally right now is loneliness. I haven't really had a proper girlfriend since I was a teenager, and that's something I crave (perhaps more than most). I happened to meet someone through work who I was interested in, named Alex. I couldn't figure out whether or not she was single, so I figured I would check her out on Facebook just to see. Under the 'About Alex' section, she had a list of all the nicknames people had for her, and one of them was 'Allan, Allan, Allan, Allan'. I had no idea what that was about, but just dismissed it.

The following morning I was reading my favourite blog, and there was a post about all the different things that prairie dogs have words for. In the comments of the post, on of the people had posted a Youtube video and I noticed the title of the video was 'Allan Allan Allan Allan'. Needless to say, I clicked. I don't know if you're familiar with the video, you can find it on Google easily enough - basically it's footage of a prairie dog with voice over dubbed of a guy shouting 'Allan Allan Allan'. In itself, a bit weird that I would see it the previous night and not know what it was about, and then stumble across the origin the following day - the fact that the video ends with the prairie dog saying my name 'Steve, Steve, Steve' just takes it to a whole other level for me.

So there you go, that's an example of one of the synchronicities I'm talking about. And it makes me glad to know I'm not alone, although I personally find it frustrating so I hope it's not as frustrating for all of you! If, together, we can understand it a bit better that alone would probably help me personally.

I guess my biggest question about it all is this: is it entirely me doing this? entirely some other unknown power or entity doing this? or is it just chance and I am (we are) seeing meaning where there really is none? Having experienced what I've experienced I find the last explanation very hard to swallow - but I try to stay open minded.
edit on 29-4-2012 by TheStev because: Forgot to close my tag

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

You know lately I have been going through the exact same thing. I don't know if I am subconciously thinkng about these occurrences or it is a definite sign. For example i would constantly see numbers in groups of three (111, 222,333). When I glance at the clock it is is 1:11 or 5:55. or when I'm driving in my car I would glance at my radio and the time track of the cd is 2m and 22 secs or 4 m 44s. Its been driving me crazy.

It goes beyond these examples throughout my everyday life. But I see it as having a much more deeper meaning than just coincidence.
edit on 29-4-2012 by RiverMike87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It's both a blessing and a curse. There doesn't seem to be any positive or negative slant that I'm aware of. It's simply information in our awareness being reflected back to us from external reality.

As an example, I might ask a question in my mind and some random dude on the TV will answer it, even though the context they are using is totally different. This hints to me of the co-creative possibilities in our reality along with the idea of an over-mind... that is, a mind that binds us all, as if we're all each other's thoughts. I've been using this concept consciously for the past 4 years to interesting effect.

The world is a reflection of our thoughts, but usually there's enough of a delay that it's barely noticeable and as a result, easily dismissed. However I've experienced times when the reflections are less delayed making the synchronicities all the more obvious. The typical mundane explanations don't even come close to explaining the sheer amount of synchronicity events I've experienced.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
You say they never lead to any real direction, but highlight things that bug you about your life. Is it possible that they are trying to get you to take action and change that which bugs you? Have you tried that? Because I have come to view these syncs as self speaking to self. If you don't listen to what self is saying, self (the syncs) just screams louder and louder.

I will share one of my recent syncs, which I thought was cool. A friend keeps posting the Ganesh mantra. He was posting it on FB every day. Then I started getting random emails from a person named Ganesh. The emails kept coming. How does one interpret that? Am I meant to strike up a relationship with this person Ganesh? That wasn't my intuitive sense. My intuitive sense was that I was meant to listen to the mantra. So I did. Then I started doing it every day. That mantra is about removing obstacles. Doing the mantra allowed me to meditate on the obstacles in my life that need removing. The day I started doing the mantra, the frequent emails from Ganesh stopped. I took that as confirmation I'd understood the message and acted appropriately.

Then weeks later I was reading a blog article about the Ganesh mantra, and it mentioned the Gayatri mantra, which I was not familiar with. Just as I was reading that word --"Gayatri" -- some random person named Gayathri emailed me. At that VERY second! Note, I am not Indian nor do I live in India. Okay maybe that's a very common name like John or whatever, but it's not a name that I was familiar with at all. So what am I doing now? The Gayatri mantra. Since I downloaded that from itunes, the emails from Gayatri have stopped. But there's more: the obstacles I'd identified have been removed. One obstacle required me to do something, to let go of a habit. I thought it would be difficult which is why I didn't give it up. It turned out to be so much easier than I thought it would be. The other obstacle gracefully cleared its own self, without much effort on my part, other than finally making a decision.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I see it as an acknowledgement of my awareness

Yes, I believe that if we were more aware of coincidences that surround us most everyday, we could find value in many of them and better understand what our life is really about. Of course some coincidences are just that, and really make no sense to the average person, no matter how much we analyze. I've had them since I was a child---and many times they led me off a crooked path, but usually I feel like God just has a sense of humour! That, to me is a pretty cool thought, as alot of these coincidences happen with songs that come on the radio just as some dilemma strikes me. The words fit exactly to what I was experiencing...sometimes it's so profound I can't even accept that it just happened that way until I look back on it. When I was a teen I had a longtime boyfriend that I spent alot of time with. On the usual Saturday night that we always spent together, he suddenly decided he wasn't going to spend it with me. I was very upset since I had nowhere to go and nothing to do, and as I slammed down the phone after talking with him I turned on my radio and immediately the old Sam Cooke song, "Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got Nobody" came on the radio( Cat Stevens version)! I laughed so hard and needless to say, my night wasn't too bad after that weird coincidence! As a woman in a Seinfeld episode once said, "There are NO little coincidences--only Big ones."

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by circlemaker
It's both a blessing and a curse. There doesn't seem to be any positive or negative slant that I'm aware of. It's simply information in our awareness being reflected back to us from external reality.

You say they never lead to any real direction, but highlight things that bug you about your life. Is it possible that they are trying to get you to take action and change that which bugs you? Have you tried that? Because I have come to view these syncs as self speaking to self. If you don't listen to what self is saying, self (the syncs) just screams louder and louder.

My logical mind very strongly agrees with both of these perspectives. But I guess the problem I find is that if these are signs, it's not like they're particularly clear. I feel like I've tried reacting to these situations in both ways - either considering them a sign of something I should pursue (a sign to direct someone to something) or considering them a sign of something I should avoid (a warning sign) and in both cases my actions have made little-to-no difference in how the overall situation has played out.

What I'm saying is when I avoid the things these signs seem to be drawing attention to, it seems like the wrong decision - and when I seek out the things these signs seem to be drawing attention to it also seems like the wrong decision!

I'm very open to the possibility that these coincidences are some sort of message being communicated to me - as yet I'm undecided whether that message is from my higher self or from some entity/deity. But the fact that they're not exactly clear messages - and that I've tried reacting to them in two completely different ways and the results always seem to be the same - this just makes me think wtf?

Whoever's sending me these messages, it's like they're speaking a completely different language. And when I don't listen, they're shouting louder. But if you've ever tried to understand someone speaking another language - it doesn't matter how loud they speak, it's not going to change whether or not you understand - only whether or not you hear. Believe me, I hear - I just don't understand!!

Also, it comes as no massive surprise - but again it's nice to know I'm not alone - to hear that other people experience the numbers synchronicity along with this stuff. I've never had a massive sync with 11:11, but 12:34 seems to be pretty common for me.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

Just a short reply to say I have the same,it does me head in,,they don't lead me anywhere and there getting stronger. 333/1111/27 and seeing American cars lately in my small town in England.

Also I feel like I'm in a dream state while walking to the shops,like the atmosphere has changed around me.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The book titled Synchronicity by C. C. Jung

Synchronicity is the same as coincidence with a tad bit of metaphysics tossed in to justify a new term.

I've had a life of very GOOD coindences; so, it's not always a curse.

Transmission suddenly quit while driving. I coasted into the next parking lot entrance with just enough force to get there and properly parked in a spot. I look to see where I am and I'm at the ONLY transmission shop within 20 miles.

I get swept down a flash-flooded, rapidly flowing waterway of some sort (wide across as a river) and it is in the middle of absolutely NOWHERE is the one and only person who could have yelled directions to me and gotten me to safety.

Stuff like that.

So, synchronicity/coincidences can be very good.
edit on 29/4/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Jung's synchronicity is not just coincidence with some metaphysics. It is a meaningful coincidence - a coincidence that somehow resonates with a person current thoughts or emotional state.

But I do definitely agree that they can be positive, and that the phenomena itself is not a curse. I also believe some people like myself and, it would seem, others in this thread feel as though it is primarily negative and that it only serves to frustrate and confuse us.

Even though I do often feel like this synchronicity is a curse, that's not to say all the synchronicities in my life have been negative. Certainly there have been some positive ones too - it just seems there are far more negative ones (in my experience), and they are far more outright (ie unable to easily be dismissed as pure coincidence - if such a thing even exists)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by circlemaker

As an example, I might ask a question in my mind and some random dude on the TV will answer it, even though the context they are using is totally different. This hints to me of the co-creative possibilities in our reality along with the idea of an over-mind... that is, a mind that binds us all, as if we're all each other's thoughts. I've been using this concept consciously for the past 4 years to interesting effect.

The world is a reflection of our thoughts, but usually there's enough of a delay that it's barely noticeable and as a result, easily dismissed. However I've experienced times when the reflections are less delayed making the synchronicities all the more obvious. The typical mundane explanations don't even come close to explaining the sheer amount of synchronicity events I've experienced.

Yes, yes and yes...
I relate!

I also have something going on with numbers....11:11 1:11 22 2:22 3:33 5:55 So over the years I have fallen in love with numerology and anagrams...
edit on 29-4-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
Jung's synchronicity is not just coincidence with some metaphysics. It is a meaningful coincidence - a coincidence that somehow resonates with a person current thoughts or emotional state.

But I do definitely agree that they can be positive, and that the phenomena itself is not a curse. I also believe some people like myself and, it would seem, others in this thread feel as though it is primarily negative and that it only serves to frustrate and confuse us.

Even though I do often feel like this synchronicity is a curse, that's not to say all the synchronicities in my life have been negative. Certainly there have been some positive ones too - it just seems there are far more negative ones (in my experience), and they are far more outright (ie unable to easily be dismissed as pure coincidence - if such a thing even exists)

Jung was a brilliant mind IMO...If all coincidences are meaningful, then you can have reflected back to you your state of mind or spiritual path; seeing it as an affirmation of a power that may be greater than yourself, something like an Oversoul, God or Goddess

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

I'm like many of the others who replied to you, and have had this experience to the point of now it is normal to me...and, get this...I said that very thing to my 'other' this morning, even! And it isn't like an everyday subject.
But I said it.

I think that we are given learning tools with these things and can use then meaningfulness to uncover ways to get beyond the places in which we might be stuck that we wouldn't be able to find out in the ordinary way.

But you have to do more than just notice and take note of the coincidences...they are not the meaning in and of themselves, but only the clues or keys that point to where you should start to truly look and notice...

For example, with your "Allan" clue...what I would probably do (just as a suggestion or to give you an idea what I mean) is maybe first look up the meaning of the name Allan...there might very well be some sort of new but related clue that you'll find and then that can give you a hint what to do next...it is hard to explain but the trail will reveal itself and it won't be a wild goose chase...just keep the attitude that there is meaning BEHIND the events and don't let the events themselves bug you so much...I know the repetition can be annoying but that's going to continue until you take some sort of action...because that is the function it serves...a 'signpost' that points to the message but not the message itself.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I've used those synchronicities for many years to guide me... and they're never wrong. In my experience, they almost never show you things you should avoid but things you need to pursue or examine more closely. It's like Hansel and Gretel's line of bread crumbs to guide you along your way, and if you just trust in God and follow, good things will happen to you.

What did you do, for example, to get closer to this Alex you're interested in? Have you done anything at all?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
For example, my husband and I were living in New Jersey when I got pregnant. I hated NJ and didn't feel it was a wholesome environment to raise a child. Besides, I had it in my head that I wanted to give birth in a natural birthing center, not a hospital where they would induce labor, shoot me up with epidurals, and then as a consequence probably give me a C-section.

When I was about 4 months pregnant, we took a weekend getaway to Vermont and loved it. A few months later, we returned, this time with the intent to see if we should maybe move there. From day one, everything fell into place miraculously, as I'd been experiencing many times before that. Almost immediately we found a beautiful for-rent house on a lake, and it was dirt-cheap. Talking to the amazingly nice landlords, one of them mentioned -- without me asking -- that there was a birthing center only two miles down the road (whereas I'd been searching high and low for one in NJ and couldn't find one anywhere).

So we signed the lease, and when we drove home to NJ, the song "I hope you'll dance" played on the radio... to me it was always a song about following your true destiny. Afterwards, we switched radio stations -- and the same song came on! We switched stations again, and "I hope you'll dance" was on there, too! That was three times the same song on three different radio stations, within the span of ten minutes.

That confirmed to me that moving to Vermont was the right choice, and we never regretted it.
edit on 30-4-2012 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join