It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Earth is 6,000 Years Old"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
this is the sort of crap that happens because the alexandria library was destroyed. it set us back at least by 2000 years of discovery.
it was the greatest setback of human record keeping. They had data in that library that went before atlantis time.
edit on 30-4-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foxy1
this is the sort of crap that happens because the alexandria library was destroyed. it set us back at least by 2000 years of discovery.
it was the greatest setback of human record keeping. They had data in that library that went before atnantis time.

Nothing good can come out of Egypt, even the corrupt line of the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus came from Alexandria, Egypt. There was information in that library that God didn't want released, so it was destroyed. Who are we to judge God's ways?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by netgamer7k

So why create it in the first place? Superstitious woo of any kind is NOT helping ats deny ignorance.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Iconic

Not to mention Ice Core data taken that shows snow falls for the last 50 000 years with seasonal indicators matching current indicators for accuracy of fall time periods.

I have said this before on these forums, eventually we will have the ability to view light bent back to the Earth from a Giant Star/Black Hole which will enable us to see millions of years ago this Planet and this 6000 year nonsense will end.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yeah, but what is really funny is that here in Canada we have a government where some of the members believe this, including the PM. And they govern accordingly.

Truly a funny (aka sad) state of affairs.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
the 6,000 year old earth theory has it's holes to be sure but how do evolutionists expalin the origins of the DNA molecule from the promordial soup ?

how do you go from water with organic elements to the first cell with a membrane that allows matter to flow ?

and from there a nucleus ?

mitochondria ?

spindule fibers ?

DNA ?

even if you say monolith or meteor brought life here, where and how did that life originate ?

You have to say god seems as good an answer as anything when you get right down to it

The "god did it" claim has a horrible track record (comets, plagues, and etc.). And just because science doesn't know for sure how life started doesn't mean you can fill that gap in knowledge with magic (aka god). You are using the God of the gaps argument

for sure ? science doesn't even have an answer at all. all it has is the southpark underpants gnome profit chart

step 1 - water
step 2 - ?
step 3 - DNA molecule !

it's the greatest question of them all, and all I'm saying is there is no answer so the creation theory is as good as any

and fwiw, I believe in evolution, just not as an explanation for the origins of life

just speciation

Just because science doesn't have an answer yet doesn't mean you should believe in stuff that's demonstrably wrong...like a 6000 year old earth :@@;

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

How on earth is anything you posted objective evidence

None of the geometrical shapes and mathematical relations you posted are supporting a 6000 year old earth! In any special or form!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

By the way, what do you mean with the "sun overcoming the effects of the sun almost immediately"?

The sun is 4.57b years old, which is looooooooooooooooooooooooooong after the big bang

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The funny thing is, nowhere in the Bible does it state that the Earth is 6,000 years old. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Evolution is not valid. These things have been made up over time by people. Arch Bishop Ussher of Armagh, Ireland, counted up Biblical genealogies to come up with a 4004 BC date. The Bible doesn't say that. So when you say Fundamentalists take the Bible literally, no, they don't. They are not even relying on the Bible for many of their beliefs at all. They are going beyond the Bible to make these claims.

Having said that, people who point out Biblical errors are not doing much better. "Adam & Eve never existed!" How profound. Even the Church says that. It's a metaphor, a mythological story. The Pope doesn'te believe it literally, either. Pointing out that fallacy isn't saying much and speaks little to your understanding.

The Earth is over 6,000 years old!" Ya think? One look at the Grand Canyon's sedimentary layers should tell you that much. Once again, any Church but the more fundamentalist ones agrees with you. Picking on the mythology and metaphors of the Bible is missing the message.

"Jesus did not ascend into Heaven!" Let me leave the argument itself aside for the moment and tell you something shocking. Most seminarians would agree with you. Don't tell anyone, OK? When you look at Christian scholarship from people like Albert Schweitzer, for example, you will find that the level of skepticism of Biblical stories, including the New testament and Gospels, is equal to your own. Seminarians will frequently make fun of the New testamant as a time when "God was in a much better mood." They will also admit to you, in private when not everyone is listening, that Jesus was a "charismatic man with a message." Then they shut up. Their message to you is: That's all.

So when I read what amounts to superficial rants against fundamentalism used to attack all religion, it's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black because your rant is just as silly.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Darwinian evolution and the Biblical creation story in Genesis are not the only two possibilities... Why are there so many people who cannot seem to recognize this obvious fact?

Saying things like "evolution has so many holes blah blah blah that is why I'm a Bible-believing True Christian" or "The Genesis story contradicts all known science, so we evolved" are both examples of false dichomoty.

We know the earth is around 4.2 billion years old, and we know homo sapiens sapiens (humans) arrived abruptly on earth around the same time the original homo sapiens (neanderthal) abruptly disappeared from earth around 30,000 years ago, both with no apparent explanation but the sooner people stop clinging to dogma of any type the sooner the truth can be discovered as to our true origins

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I guess, I will be the only one here to say I like this.
I remember looking into a this a few years, and I can only come to one real conclusion, there is no real way of knowing for a fact. The Creationist rather people like to admit it or not bring up some very good points, yet at same time so do the evolutionist. I've read boths side on something like the carbon14 dating, and would have to agree with creationist saying its unreliable, yet at same evolutionist bring up some good points, like how does light get here from millions of miles away. Evolutionist say we evolved yet same time seem to confirm a concept like everybody’s DNA can be traced back to one female, which was creationist idea before it an evoluitonist theroy.

I think it’s wrong to bluntly assume because someone opinions are different than yours that everything they are saying is wrong, or assume they are stupid. There must be some smart creationist out there just to put together some of there theories/ideas. Sometimes the creationist do have the better argument, sometimes the evolutionist. I for one like hearing both sides.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
When I was studying for my theology degree, there was a young man who presented this argument. According to him, GOD put all these "strange things" like fossils and geological records to test the faith of honest Christians.

I've never forgotten how passionately he argued his point. Complete denial of the facts presented, blanket statements about everything.

It disgusted me then; it disgusts me now.

Did you get that theology degree?

I also studied theology and it convinced me that God does not exist and a lot of weak people are driven by threats of eternal damnation. Fortunately I was also studying psychology and figured out that these same people are exactly like the German's who supported Hitler even after they had to deny to themselves that all those innocent Jews had been systematically weeded out of their country. They knew those people were being killed and that Hitler was insane, but they were scared so they made up their own reality and decided to support their Fuhrer fervently.

The mind has a switch that can trigger at any time under severe pressure. Every person has a different threshold for that switch. A tragic event often causes people to associate with a religion or cult that makes them feel safe or secure. Once they give themselves over to the religion they become unstoppable. They feel invincible because they have been told they are superhuman and have the power to talk directly to God (through his kid) and are only in this existence temporarily while they prove their worth to this God.

They are actually having a break with reality (legally insane) as can be seen in the crazy eyes of the Hitler youth (especially the young girls) at rallies or other events where Hitler might show up. The nazi regime was founded on Christian values and used the bible to back up it's hatred of Jews since they were the ones that killed Gods kid. The real reason was something personal that happened to Hitler not the bible he used to justify his hatred.

What really irks me is the duplicity these people flippantly display. They can't understand anything that is not explained by the bible so they go around making up their own version of reality to compensate for their stupidity. They are also painfully lazy using denial to justify their lack of investigative motivation in seeking FACT.

If I want to know why plants grow I don't read the bible to tell me, I observe the plants and learn all I can from scientific method removing variables and isolating fact. Sane persons realize there is a lot they do not understand because they have not lived long enough to study everything in the depth required for real understanding. That is why wise men ride on the shoulders of their predecessors always improving the art in which they dabble. Some are fortunate enough to dedicate their life to only one study and they become experts in their field, but they are always surpassed by the new generation who build on their work. That in a nutshell is evolution of our species in real time.

It takes all kinds though. I just feel sorry for the people who will never work to understand reality.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Iconic

"I wear a lab coat!"..... THEREFORE: CREDIBLE.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iconic
He goes to say the Earth is 6,000 years old. That means everything we've ever found, looked at, is false, or lied about.

Yeah - god put it all there just to fool us - god is a lying b-stard

not to mention the problem of how is it we see stellar objects that are more than 6000 light years away??

Either: the speed of light is not constant and/or god put it all in place down to the last photon too

Young earth creationism is just mindbogglingly mind-boggling in it's problems!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Hey there again.

I make a statement in support of the OPs position, provide a solid piece of VERIFIABLE PHYSICAL evidence...

Fact: The mountains of the Earth* are mostly just a few thousand years old...

*(with a few notable exceptions.
)

AND...

Nothing?

What, no takers?

Tsk. Tsk.

Come on guys! STOP believing your FAIRY TALE 'Science' and embrace the REALITY... of the world around you

that apparently my thread mates seem SO content to just ignore, overlook, whatever.

There is so much physical evidence just laying around...

Fact: Siberia was once in the tropics!

Just a few thousand years ago...

No one wants to discuss Velikovsky views on the TRUE age of the Earth?

Too many non-concordant facts?**

**(To quote that famous CIA paid disinformation agent. Henry Bauer (Hic! Methinks he drinks a LOT.
) Carl Sagan, simply wasn't 'available'
)

(It was still a CLOSE vote in deciding who would get the 'credit' for writing that PILE OF NONSENSE, titled Beyond Velikovsky. Henry Bauer, the drunk vs. Carl Sagan, the 'unavailable' guy)

(But I digress...
)

Psst! Evolution is just another one of those PARROTED tales. Does it NOT bother anyone that biologists have NOT witnessed a single example in recorded history of one species evolving into another?

Tsk. Tsk.

Henry Bauer: I'll drink to that!

(You don't believe there is a conspiracy to silence Velikovsky? He is NOT even in the spell-checker for ATS. I'm sorry that is just sad...
)

Till next time.

edit on 30-4-2012 by golemina because: Slight revisions. Carl wasn't dead!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude

Did you get that theology degree?

I also studied theology and it convinced me that God does not exist and a lot of weak people are driven by threats of eternal damnation. Fortunately I was also studying psychology and figured out that these same people are exactly like the German's who supported Hitler even after they had to deny to themselves that all those innocent Jews had been systematically weeded out of their country. They knew those people were being killed and that Hitler was insane, but they were scared so they made up their own reality and decided to support their Fuhrer fervently.

The mind has a switch that can trigger at any time under severe pressure. Every person has a different threshold for that switch. A tragic event often causes people to associate with a religion or cult that makes them feel safe or secure. Once they give themselves over to the religion they become unstoppable. They feel invincible because they have been told they are superhuman and have the power to talk directly to God (through his kid) and are only in this existence temporarily while they prove their worth to this God.

They are actually having a break with reality (legally insane) as can be seen in the crazy eyes of the Hitler youth (especially the young girls) at rallies or other events where Hitler might show up. The nazi regime was founded on Christian values and used the bible to back up it's hatred of Jews since they were the ones that killed Gods kid. The real reason was something personal that happened to Hitler not the bible he used to justify his hatred.

What really irks me is the duplicity these people flippantly display. They can't understand anything that is not explained by the bible so they go around making up their own version of reality to compensate for their stupidity. They are also painfully lazy using denial to justify their lack of investigative motivation in seeking FACT.

If I want to know why plants grow I don't read the bible to tell me, I observe the plants and learn all I can from scientific method removing variables and isolating fact. Sane persons realize there is a lot they do not understand because they have not lived long enough to study everything in the depth required for real understanding. That is why wise men ride on the shoulders of their predecessors always improving the art in which they dabble. Some are fortunate enough to dedicate their life to only one study and they become experts in their field, but they are always surpassed by the new generation who build on their work. That in a nutshell is evolution of our species in real time.

It takes all kinds though. I just feel sorry for the people who will never work to understand reality.

Hey there!

Gotta say kudos to you!

Except for everywhere you say religious type folks... just substitute psychologist/psychiatrist!

(Just think about it for a while... and you will 'understand reality'.
)
edit on 30-4-2012 by golemina because: Removed extra quoted section

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by golemina
Hey there again.

I make a statement in support of the OPs position, provide a solid piece of VERIFIABLE PHYSICAL evidence...

Fact: The mountains of the Earth* are mostly just a few thousand years old...

*(with a few notable exceptions.
)

AND...

Nothing?

What, no takers?

Tsk. Tsk.

Sorry - thought it was a joke.

OK - got any actual evidence to support that assertion?

Come on guys! STOP believing your FAIRY TALE 'Science' and embrace the REALITY... of the world around you

Trouble with this idea that science is a "fairy tale" is that science keeps managing to explain things well, and it keeps being repeatable - you can "do the science" yourself and get the same answers...time after time after time. And it's process keeps finding better and better information overall.

It's just so damned inconvenient that all the theistic explanations simply cannot compete in those terms.

However they try - theists always seem to try to co-opt science by trying to make their ideas sound scientific - trying to copy scientific techniques such as , by trying peer review for example.

And of course invariably failing.

moreover science doesn't suffer from having to think that god has deliberately lied to us, as you must if you actually believe that the earth was created 6000 years ago - why else would he put all that stuff in place that has fooled so many people? Do you really want a god who tries to trick people into evil?? Buggered if I do!

Dashed unfortunate I guess....but that's what the actual evidence supports - either science is "true", or god is a lying bastard.

edit on 30-4-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Sorry - thought it was a joke.

OK - got any actual evidence to support that assertion?

I'm sorry... Were my instructions to climb a mountain and examine the rocks TOO complicated?

What's that? You're too busy being an arm chair 'scientist' to bother actually looking at the data?

Trouble with this idea that science is a "fairy tale" is that science keeps managing to explain things well, and it keeps being repeatable - you can "do the science" yourself and get the same answers...time after time after time. And it's process keeps finding better and better information overall.

Ah! THERE is the rub...

There are a LOT of REAL Scientists. And guess what?

They see that your so-called 'science' simply doesn't match that little tiny thing some of us like to call REALITY.

You dig?

It's just so damned inconvenient that all the theistic explanations simply cannot compete in those terms.

This would be you making an invalid assumption... And being wrong to boot.

However they try - theists always seem to try to co-opt science by trying to make their ideas sound scientific - trying to copy scientific techniques such as , by trying peer review for example.

Quoting Wiki anything?

Please... This is supposed to be a serious discussion.

And of course invariably failing.

moreover science doesn't suffer from having to think that god has deliberately lied to us, as you must if you actually believe that the earth was created 6000 years ago - why else would he put all that stuff in place that has fooled so many people? Do you really want a god who tries to trick people into evil?? Buggered if I do!

Dashed unfortunate I guess....but that's what the actual evidence supports - either science is "true", or god is a lying bastard.

Dude... Let me help you out.

I'm not one of your Bible thumpers...

Yes, a bit of a paradox.

The Earth having been practically destroyed TWICE during the last 4500 years!

Well, you see, it's pretty much a new planet.

Which would make the Bible thumpers you show such disdain for... MORE correct than you.

Ouch!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Care to explain on which two occasions in the last 4500 years the earth has almost been destroyed? I've never heard of any major catastrophes during that time.

Listen, it's pretty ridiculous to think that the tops of mountains (all mountains, or just some of them?) are only made up of rocks less than 6000 years old. Mountains rise and fall, are eroded, and are built up again. The rocks that make up the mountains are not of a uniform age, but most of them are well over 6000 years old. No one needs to climb a mountain.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but don't come on here expecting everyone to believe you and then get obnoxious and condescending if they don't. You may not think that Wiki is credible; well, look in the mirror. It's a lot more credible than the utter tripe that you are spewing.

The rocks making up the mountains were formed before the mountains were raised. The cores of the mountain ranges are in most places formed of pieces of continental crust that are over one billion years old. In the south, an older mountain range was formed 300 million years ago, then eroded away. The rocks of that older range were reformed into the Rocky Mountains.

The Rocky Mountains took shape during an intense period of plate tectonic activity that resulted in much of the rugged landscape of the western North America. The Laramide orogeny, about 80–55 million years ago, was the last of the three episodes and was responsible for raising the Rocky Mountains.[1] Subsequent erosion by glaciers has created the final form of the mountains.

en.wikipedia.org...

Some of the oldest surface rock can be found in the Canadian Shield, Australia, Africa and in other more specific places around the world. The ages of these felsic rocks are generally between 2.5 and 3.8 billion years. The approximate ages have a margin of error of millions of years. In 1999, the oldest known rock on Earth was dated to 4.031 ± 0.003 billion years, and is part of the Acasta Gneiss of the Slave craton in northwestern Canada.[2] Researchers at McGill University found a rock with a very old model age for extraction from the mantle (3.8 to 4.28 billion years ago) in the Nuvvuagittuq greenstone belt on the coast of Hudson Bay, in northern Quebec;[3] the true age of these samples is still under debate,[4] and they may actually be closer to 3.8 billion years old.[5] Older than these rocks are crystals of the mineral zircon, which can survive the disaggregation of their parent rock and be found and dated in younger rock formations.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Hey guy.

Your post has a certain duality (not really, you just pretend to be impartial
), so I will answer each section in two different modes. Real and rhetorical. Cool?

Originally posted by TheComte
Care to explain on which two occasions in the last 4500 years the earth has almost been destroyed? I've never heard of any major catastrophes during that time.

Real: If you're interested, read Velikovsky's several books. They are quite inciteful for the thinking person.

Rhetorical: Dude... You should get out of your man cave more.

Listen, it's pretty ridiculous to think that the tops of mountains (all mountains, or just some of them?) are only made up of rocks less than 6000 years old. Mountains rise and fall, are eroded, and are built up again. The rocks that make up the mountains are not of a uniform age, but most of them are well over 6000 years old. No one needs to climb a mountain.

Real: Well, that is precisely the point and the utter weakness of the school of thought usually referred to as gradualism.

Rhetorical: That my friend is just an excellent example of CIRCULAR LOGIC. One of the symptoms of such a defective approach is in arguing the theory, you use the premise as (an absolute) verification of the theory itself. The second more heinous symptom is refusing to even examine the data presented to you. (A Science no-no, but an everyday event in 'Science'.
)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but don't come on here expecting everyone to believe you and then get obnoxious and condescending if they don't. You may not think that Wiki is credible; well, look in the mirror. It's a lot more credible than the utter tripe that you are spewing.

en.wikipedia.org...

Real: It's a 98/2 world, and what is 'published' in Wikipedia is mostly the (gradualism) NONSENSE that allows the general public to believe that everything is OK, that they are 'informed', allow them to sleep thru the night, and to keep on being a good consumer buying ALL of those fine products you NEED.

Rhetorical: Catastrophism is a turbulent ride... NOT everyone is tall enough to go on it.

and then get obnoxious and condescending if they don't.

What is it EXACTLY that disturbs you? Is it my mastery of the subject? My articulacy? My slightly twisted sense of humor?

Or... Is it the fact that I'm eating you 'Science' wannabes lunches?

(Try that nice filter function. You don't have to listen to ANYTHING I might have to say.
)

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join