It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Earth is 6,000 Years Old"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by wildbillsteamcock

Hhhmm so fruit flies evolve into fruit walks. At least I could get em before they suicide into my beer then.

Considering males have a higher mutation rate than females, what do you think about the idea that all males are a possible mutation of the female form ?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
When I was studying for my theology degree, there was a young man who presented this argument. According to him, GOD put all these "strange things" like fossils and geological records to test the faith of honest Christians.

I've never forgotten how passionately he argued his point. Complete denial of the facts presented, blanket statements about everything.

It disgusted me then; it disgusts me now.

I too have had to stand and hear that argument. Some kind of big dark God conspiracy here, fool us all into thinking Earth is older than it is, fool us into thinking Demons disguised as Aliens built Monoliths all over the world, things humankind today could not build. Scatter and bury Dinosaur bones all over for us to wonder at.
And then surround us with a billion Demons who thirst for our very Souls all the time, always tempting us with things like sex, drugs, alcohol......
Can anyone explain to me how believing all these myths and fictions makes any sense?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Is Not!
/

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Is it? Or is it both 6,000 years old and 6 billion years old and an infinite amount of other possibilities? does it depend on who's observing the moment and what they want to believe?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LexiconV

Yeah...I'm not convinced of that. I'm not sure exactly where the argument that males are mutated females originated, but to me it seems it came from comparing the morphology of the chromosomes; the "Y" of males is a mutated "X" (an X with a leg snapped off). But if you examine the genes, there is a significant difference.

Recent research has shown if you delete the foxl2 gene there can be a transdifferentiation, or "reprogramming", of adult ovaries to testes. Somatic sex reprogramming of adult ovaries to testes by FOXL2 ablation.

Women may need highly regulated signalling to "battle their inner male". Females battle to suppress their inner male

Both cool reads. Also, if you compare structurally the clitoris to the penis, they are pretty close analogs...so its still unclear which way this flows (male to female or female to male).

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
No worries, apparently fundamentalists can just pretend a dy in the bible is 1000 years to "make it fit". Of course they're still off by a few billion years, and but logic isn't high up on their list of priorities

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty
Is it? Or is it both 6,000 years old and 6 billion years old and an infinite amount of other possibilities? does it depend on who's observing the moment and what they want to believe?

Maybe. Or you could just go full solipsism and reject all other realities except your own. But where's the fun in that? I like to believe everyone has a share in one reality. Philosophy: no answers, just more questions.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildbillsteamcock

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty

Maybe. Or you could just go full solipsism and reject all other realities except your own. But where's the fun in that? I like to believe everyone has a share in one reality. Philosophy: no answers, just more questions.

Philophy: The question IS the answer. You just have to ask the right ones. I have the view that a being who is Omnipresent has no definition of actual time,and that the humans who wrote the bible could not understand that concept so approximated it into a form that was understandable.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Half the creationists arent the "young earth" type anyway.

OP needs to realize that " using a wide brush " can be just as ignorant as the belief in an earth age of Six millenia.I have yet to see where God has communicated anything like that to us. So why would I buy into something pieced together by supposed, made to look to obvious, religious fanatics.

For me this is simply a case of " Who really gives crapola ! " God didn't tell us anything that can be acurately deduced into solar years so it couldn't possibly be important. When it comes to my opinion ? I believe that the sciences ( mans knowledge of his world ) can and should be tempered with the history of the Bible. Because I understand that there is a need to know academically. But that isn't anything like what OP presents us with here. Fanatical religious doctrine that as far as I can tell, does a good job of alienating intelligent people.

And that is something that God will have much to say about.

SnFOP
edit on 29-4-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I agree with YOU...and Why on earth would anyone want to believe in or worship a "GOD" with such a mean sence of humour? What is wrong with JUST TELLING THE TRUTH.. why all the riddles. I DO NOT want any part of a "GOD" like that.... I do not like People like that.. Why would I want a "GOD" to be like that?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I homeschool my son ( it's a Christian Program ) Next time I'll use something different, in his Science book they say the earth is only 6,000 years old because of a certain pine tree found rings dated to around 5,400 +- years old. Their argument is that the Bible does not contradict itself. I just laugh and tell him to not believe that, it's not true. He knows it's not true because he laughs.

Here's a Pastor telling you in the first 2 minutes the earth is millions of years old. Been preaching/teaching for over 50 years. This vid. is 1 hr. long just watch as much as you want but the pertinent information is in the first 10 minutes to prove a point. Genesis Lecture 1 - The Creation

Gosh, I love the 6,000 year old lie.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
A day is 1000 years. The resting day is the seventh.
Are you getting this from the verses that say that to god, one day is like 1000 years, and vice versa? If so, you are taking that literally, and not metaphorically....that time does not matter to god? Couldn't the author have said that 1 second is like 1,000,000 years to god, and vice versa, and meant the same thing?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This topic comes up at least once per year. Might want to search for it before beginning a thread on it. It becomes a Christian-bashing every time.

However illogical or comedic it may seem to a non-believer, I believe the World could be 6000 or so years old. I do not put limits on God. Frankly, He can do anything He wants.

One of the assumptions in the thread is that God is "fooling" you. Not really. You have choices and can believe whatever you want. You can do that, and not be subject to the opinions of others. You see, on both sides of the camp, neither of us have lived over 6000 years to see what happened. In the Bible, there is a warning about uniformitarianism coming in the last days. (In other words, what is past is based on our interpretation of the present and an assumption that all things have remained relatively the same: speed of light, orbit of Earth, etc). Since you really do not truly know, but base your beliefs on scientific findings, it seems only fair to allow others to base their belief on the Bible as the word of God. Perhaps the sky was not always blue, or the oceans were not always deep. Perhaps we are actually in a process of extinction, not evolution, since we have gone from about 70 phyla to about 30. Perhaps there were many other types of humans at one time, but we have eliminated them. Perhaps there were dinosaurs (aka "dragons") co-existing with man, but we killed them because we wanted to show how brave we were to our tribes so we could all sleep better at night.

Do you or does anyone really know more than about 1% of all the facts that are available to be known? Isn't it rather assumptive to judge others when you do not know the other 99%? Might want to take a seat.

I love science, just like I love to discuss things on this forum with other intelligent people. However, science cannot and perhaps will never be able to, understand some basic facts about life and existence. That is where faith begins and science ends. As we push the frontier border of facts forward into the world of faith, we must also realize that science is ever-changing and growing. What may seem like a hard fact today may be expunged from the texts and a new fact may replace it. For people of faith, we learn the science, but acknowledge that we do not know all things.

I'll bet you think Adam and Eve were myths, too, and there was no way we could fit the animals into the Ark for a worldwide flood... That's ok with me, so I hope my beliefs are ok with you. Let's agree to disagree, and drop the name-calling. I go to sleep at night knowing there is a great God who watches over me and takes care of me. I want for nothing. As I look back in my life, I can see how he has carried me through hard times by providing for me, sometimes "just in time" the things I needed....not necessarily what I wanted.

I don't get that from a science text, or from Mr. Tyson, as special as he is.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Reality could be 10 minutes old. We could be in a virtual world and all our memories are planted.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Six thousand years ago was when TIME finally became stable enough to be measured linearly.
Before that, time was in its transient and non linear state resulting from the chaos of the big bang effect.
During that period, time did not lend itself to be measured linearly.
Hint, think higher mathematics.

In other words, the first day of creation actually lasted almost one billion years, the second day lasted much less, and so it went with each passing day of creation until about the seventh day when it finally became stable enough to be measured linearly, or rather, in terms we humans can relate to and finally understand.
Hint, think fundamental mathematics.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm a student of archeology. Thus I've become acquainted with some of our hominid ancestors a bit more than the average person. I've looked over the claims that bash evolution (especially human evolution). Their arguments aren't shoddy. They are borderline mental. Total refusal to consider any evidence put before them.

I personally have a huge amount of respect for science and how it is carried out. It perpetually approaches natural truth ever closer. It may be led astray for a moment, but science is self correcting. It is the purest human concocted device that I can think of. And when some body comes at me babbling about there is no evidence of a multi-billion year old Earth or of human evolution I find myself longing for a UN mandated sterilization program.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Nothing more to add.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Six thousand years ago was when TIME finally became stable enough to be measured linearly.
Before that, time was in its transient and non linear state resulting from the chaos of the big bang effect.
During that period, time did not lend itself to be measured linearly.
Hint, think higher mathematics.

In other words, the first day of creation actually lasted almost one billion years, the second day lasted much less, and so it went with each passing day of creation until about the seventh day when it finally became stable enough to be measured linearly, or rather, in terms we humans can relate to and finally understand.
Hint, think fundamental mathematics.

I like this explanation. i've often wondered if there was a way for both to be right. Everything is always one or the other. Black or white? Up or down? well you get the picture. I think religion and science could find a middle ground, if it wasn't for this I'm right your wrong mentality that both seem to embrace.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by smyleegrl
When I was studying for my theology degree, there was a young man who presented this argument. According to him, GOD put all these "strange things" like fossils and geological records to test the faith of honest Christians.

I've never forgotten how passionately he argued his point. Complete denial of the facts presented, blanket statements about everything.

It disgusted me then; it disgusts me now.

I too have had to stand and hear that argument. Some kind of big dark God conspiracy here, fool us all into thinking Earth is older than it is, fool us into thinking Demons disguised as Aliens built Monoliths all over the world, things humankind today could not build. Scatter and bury Dinosaur bones all over for us to wonder at.
And then surround us with a billion Demons who thirst for our very Souls all the time, always tempting us with things like sex, drugs, alcohol......
Can anyone explain to me how believing all these myths and fictions makes any sense?

The reason they do it is mostly for mind control, which really got going when the big 3 monotheistic religions got going post 200 AD.

European's were separate from the semitic religions of Abraham, Jesus, Islam etc.
Then Rome came and scattered them about before it went pop.
Our ancestors pagan ways were incomplete or closely guarded due to the disasters that had raged ten's of thousands of years previous.
In the middle-east they'd been less affected and the high-priests horded the knowledge for control over the peasants.
When Rome came that's when they trampled over our native ways and ever since then we've had the monotheism baggage lingering about.
As this is a part-lie folk like Darwin and his crowd swing the absolute opposite direction and basically demean humanity as evolved apes.

People need to get rid of the fundimentalist garbage, get rid of darwin's dumb-ape theory and take power for their own minds for a change.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
LOL Im having flash backs of the private Lutheran School I went to from K-8. We were told the world was 4,000 maybe 5,000 yrs old. Every year we would always skip the part in our science books where the information about dinosaurs was at and I always asked why we always skipped that section? The teachers always said that dinosaurs did not exist and scientists lie, the whole 9 yards. By the time I was in 2nd grade I wasn't buying it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join