It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help on a math problem please. Finding Principal Rate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I have figured out all the principal and quarterly questions but I can not figure out the rate of principal on this question. Even by going through the step by step process it is not showing how they are coming up with the problem, it is only shows the answer.

Example problem. Not my problem. As soon as I can figure out how they go through the step by step process then I can figure out mine.

>=Radical

I think what I am having a problem with, is that 9>2 root [9 root radical 2] - 1 and how they are come up with the answer 0.0801 then I know I can times it with 100 for the rate.

I followed their steps over and over and I'm still not seeing how they come up with 0.0801

Thanks.

edit on 28-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I think what I am having a problem with, is that 9>2 Radical - 1 and how they come up with the answer 0.0801 then I times it with 100 for the rate.

Works for me.
Its the 9th root of 2 (as opposed to the 2th root which is the most common one encountered).
On my calculator, there is a button for X raised to 1/y
In this case "1/9" is the same as the 9th root.

So... 2 raised to 1/9 = 1.08
subtract 1 = 0.08

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Wow. Mathematicians talk. Facinating...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
yeah, I just figured that out lol

Thanks.

Why must they word it so difficult.

Their example does not explain it at all.

It's a poor example.

Can't they just get to the dang point? lol

Their example just totally confuses you.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Here's an easy way if you ever have problems guys.

Now this example I can understand in terms of how they solved their answer.
www.algebra.com...

Assume P=100
Amount = double = 200
n= 15 years
compounded annualy = q=1
i = rate of interest =?

Formula for compound interest
i = q([A/P]^1/nq - 1).
i=1*((200/100)^(1/15*1)-1)
i=0.0472
rate = 4.729%

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
In this era the answer is ..... you can't double your investment.

The SHTF scenario will make all money worthless.

Besides that and sticking to maths.

The formula you are using does not take into account the inflation rate so even though you invest $100 at 8.01% over nine years you are still behind the 8 ball for the inflation rate compounded over nine years. Since you don't know the inflation rate in the future you actually can't answer the question.

I used to drive my maths teacher crazy, but I was right!

lol

P

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Inflation doesn't matter in this scenario, as it will only affect the money's worth/value, not the actual number. The problem is to double the amount, not to double the amount it's worth.

link   

Good point!
Not to mention, aren't taxes liable over the interest earned?

ETA I don't understand maths at all, hence I waited till someone gave an enlightened answer.

edit on 28/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

link   
Those two problems stopped me from getting my 100

I am now officially 100 % in the class. So if I do horrible on the final I'll have a 99% rate in class.

My years were 12 and 14.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyTots

Inflation doesn't matter in this scenario, as it will only affect the money's worth/value, not the actual number. The problem is to double the amount, not to double the amount it's worth.

I am sorry but the real question in this is "How do I double my money?"

Your answer (no insult intended .... at all!) is the sought of BS answer that home borrowers who don't understand maths at this level get sideswiped by. The answer is way out side the limits of the real world. "Double the investment" means double what my money can buy ..... not double the amount!

People wanting advice from financial advisers want real world answers not some mathematical BS.

Now you can start to understand the underlying principals of the financial crisis. It is this type of BS maths that directly led to people, ordinary people being shafted with the biggest financial shaft in their lives!

And, yes take tax into account as well as pointed out above and while your at it add bank fees and charges and all the other amounts that scream greed as every Tom Dick and Mary stick a finger in the pie!

P

edit on 28-4-2012 by pheonix358 because: Other good posters added

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
Wow. Mathematicians talk. Facinating...

My former gf was a mathematician and yes, its what fantasy's are made of.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I would go HERE...and see if it could be answered in a forum...it's been purposed!

Another good problem...with a relatively simple solution...gather them together!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Hey Manhater, that's cool that you are going for 100% what class are you taking?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Pre-Calculus

Tomorrow is Doomsday.

A hit or miss on my 100%

I know I got an A anyway. Unless she counts my absences then I'm in trouble

edit on 1-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Since 2008 Gold has doubled in price in another 4 years it will agian double in price

That is how you double your money and it doesn't matter who is Potus.

2000-2008 gold doubled its price.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Make sure and round your answer according to the problem...in this case 1.080059739 - 1 = .080059739 rounded to the fourth decimal...0801!

Because interest rates are almost always figured using precentages that include decimals (5.3% annually...) you need to round accordingly!

5.3% might actually be 5.25613...which means the bank is screwing you out of .04387% and you don't even know about it!

On a $100,000 dollar fixed rate loan...you give the bank $4,387.00 dollars more for that loan than you really should have...all because they rounded up to the nearest decimal equivilant!

Now take that $4,387.00 and multiply it by a couple hundred thousand loans...hmmm...no wonder we are the 99% 'ers that are broke!

edit on 2-5-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well took the final and not one question on there had anything to do with Principal. I made an A in the class. Probably got some questions wrong on the final but my grade in class will cover the final to a total of 99% in the class.

3 A's 1 B

Almost had that 4.0 by 3 points. GRR.

SCHOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO~~

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Cool, sounds like you are a good student. Yeah, I totally miss class all the time, too... and get good grades. I know how that is.

new topics

top topics

join