It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Italian Women Held Hostage Freed in Iraq; Additional Hostages Freed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
After 22 days, Italian hostages Simona Pari and Simona Torretta have been released by their captors. This contradicts earlier reports that the two had been executed. In addition, 4 Egyptian and 2 Iraqi hostages were also released unharmed.

www.news.com.au
TWO Italian women aid workers held hostage in Iraq had been released and handed over to the Italian charge d'affaires in the capital Baghdad, Al Jazeera television reported today.

The Arab station gave no further details.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi confirmed the release soon after it was reported on Arabic TV.

Related News Stories:
Yahoo News
BBC.co.uk
Ananova.com

[edit on 28-9-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
That is FANTASTIC news!!!!

Jemison

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Good news, hope they do the same with Ken Bigley.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The replies in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

get a new touch with this news. Now, they somehow look...foolish? Yes, I think that describes it quite good. In fact I laughed my ass off about the people comments. Ah, well. Thats ATS.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The story, and resulting thread, about the two Simonas being executed were the results of a post in a jihadi forum that they had been executed. Occasanaly someone knowingly posts false information on those boards. They must not have the same TOS as ATS.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
More hostages have been released including 4 Egyptians and 2 Iraq's. The Egyptian embassy indicated that the motive for taking its citizens was ransom, and not political.

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Two Italian and two Iraqi aid workers kidnapped this month in Iraq (news - web sites) were freed Tuesday after three weeks in captivity, Italy's prime minister said. Four Egyptian workers abducted last week were also freed, according to their employer.
Hostages

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
That's wonderful news.

Somebody needs their 8s kicked for posting upsetting news. News like that's no joke.

Glad to here these two women are unharmed though!

Let's pray for peace!

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's really funny how they release the WOMEN, but men get their heads cut off.
If your a women or man that is muslim you are free to go.

They know it would cause more damage to them to murder women and muslim men then men with that are none muslim.

Just rememember the italion male hostages where murdered by these allah/mohammed worshipers.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Sky News have made reference to unconfirmed that a ransom of $1 million was paid for the Italian hostages.

I think what we are seeing is that there are 2 types of hostage taker in Iraq. There are those who are attacking western interests and trying to further destabalise the country. The other are criminal gangs trying to make some ransom money for themselves.

Personaly, I hope a ransom wasn't paid, and these women (and the other hostages) were released because attitutes towards kidnappings in Iraq are changing.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
If the two Italian women were released 22 days after then maybe there is a chance that Mr Bigley is still alive. Good to hear that they have been freed and from the photo's they look to be in good health.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Fox News yesterday afternoon said the same thing. ABC's evening news reported that they were released under unknown conditions.

If the Italian government did pay a ransom, the number of kidnappings may very well increase after this. Any average 2-bit criminal now may get the idea, that they can get paid off by grabbing some foreigner in Iraq.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
So far I've heard the Egyptian and Kuwait hostages were delivered by ransom, but nobody wants to admit demands were met on the Italian women.

It's the new business in Iraq though. Just like Mexico.

Once you pay it never stops.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Reagan traded guns for the Iranian hostages, who knows what shady deals are going on?

top topics

join