It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy sink ship; Alaska fishing shut down??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Well the fibre proposed does more than just store the radioactive material, it attracts and locks the radioactive ions inside of it, there's no chance of leakages seen from conventional storage methods.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

Oh thats freaggin great. A derelict ship is floating out there. Usually they hook on and tow it for salvage, but nooo...they shell it and sink it because it's radioactive. Good one guys. Deep six the radioactive contaminants. Out of sight, out of mind, right? The lesser off two evils. What you gonna do? Bring it to a scrap yard and set of the alarms? Whoops. Sorry about that fishes and all those who eat them.

On a side note I love watching "Deadliest Catch" and the opening Red crab season was marked by cuts to the seasons quota by half. I don't have a clue why, just thought it odd...

www.alaskajournal.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

They cut the quota because the crab wasn't there.

They do surveys and then figure out how much crab the fishermen can get without over fishing the grounds. It has been bad for a while. So they cut the quotas.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
reply to post by intrptr

They cut the quota because the crab wasn't there.

They do surveys and then figure out how much crab the fishermen can get without over fishing the grounds. It has been bad for a while. So they cut the quotas.

Oh okay. Well at least the remaining crab will have more time to filter out the nuclides from the bottom of the sea in the meantime. Might they be attracted to the artificial reefs of sunken rad Japanese vessels?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I'm not sure how that works, Never was a crab fisherman.
I prefer sport fishing. All my buddies up there who do it for a living cant stand a fishing pole.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
This raises a few more questions as to how much fukushima has effected the alaska region (IMO)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also if you check out the RSOE site the alaska's have 2 warning signs

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
*sigh*.......some peoples kids....

Look, Yes they sunk a boat...it was so radioactive, they went aboard to make sure there was no fuel or oil left in the tanks.....and they rid it of hazardous material before they sunk it. (notice the sarcasm..as in it wasn't radioactive at all)

This is not uncommon for the US to use derelict vessels as target practice.

Next, the jet stream is and has been well below Alaska for there to be any fall out of any real significance. You'll find that the prevailing upper level pattern is carrying it more to the west coast US like California or Oregon. Alaska's weather mostly comes from Russia and the Arctic...maybe a wee bit of blow back from Seattle area....but not much.

If they are shutting down fisheries, I assure you its because of economic factors and not radiation....if that was the case it would be all over the local news up here....and it's not. That and they also made the catch limits and immigration rules for cannery workers more strict this year...so you wont be finding many people from out of state working canneries.......because of this alone they have to close a few and they wont be able to carry as many workers as usual do to new state DOL guidelines for seasonal work....which canneries fall under.

Lastly, I would rather eat the seafood from up here than anywhere else in the world...its the freshest, the cleanest, and the Eskimos don't seem to mind either.

I suggest the OP do more digging than rely on hearsay from an individual whom doesn't even live here.

Just a thought....Alaska has so much coastline....yes we are getting debris from Japan.......and no....it's not radioactive.....They've been testing it since they started to find it...and it's normal.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

I know I am concerned about my home town there. I have been since Fukiashima started. The Japanese currents go right through the inside passage where I normally live.

So far it has been ok though. No one is reporting anything weird where I am from.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
To add, when the quake in Japan happened it wiped out their fishing fleet.......we had the best fish returns for 2011 than we've had in years.....kinda makes ya wonder.....

Them Japs love to fish....and fish....and overfish......really, they should save some for others...

Would explain why our fishing here this past decade has kinda sucked.....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
and the opening Red crab season was marked by cuts to the seasons quota by half. I don't have a clue why, just thought it odd...
www.alaskajournal.com...

I have a clue why.
I actually read the link you cited.

...in the face of declining trends in juvenile recruitment seen in the last few years.
“But we’ve known for a couple years that the trend is down for this stock, so industry has been bracing for it.”

Funny, they didnt mention anything about Fukushima and radiation in that article.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I have several friends in Southeast Alaska, many of them are fishermen and cannery workers, and there is nothing like that going on there that I have heard, and I would of heard it by now.

As mentioned above, they did sink a ship at the beginning of april, I think that is the ship. No mention of radiation or cannery shut downs....

This is false info as far as I am concerned.

It would be very bad news for my home town if the canneries were shut down. My family there would be directly effected.

My hometown.

I should be back there next year, or at least that's the plan, as I had to leave the year before last.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

So you're friends are more trustworthy, than my wife's? Canneries are closing or closed. She has no job, due to THIS story she relayed to us. Call your friends and if they aren't dock workers or cannery workers, ask someone who is; like my wife's friend.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BooKrackers
*sigh*.......some peoples kids....

Look, Yes they sunk a boat...it was so radioactive, they went aboard to make sure there was no fuel or oil left in the tanks.....and they rid it of hazardous material before they sunk it. (notice the sarcasm..as in it wasn't radioactive at all)

Talk about your own kids. You obviously misunderstand the physics involved in radioactivity and how it interacts with nonreactive agents. Just because you remove a barrel of waste from an area, does not mean the area is clean by any means. If you want to argue with that; enjoy a walk through Chernobyl or jump back into any undergraduate physics of chemistry course.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Pray tell, what is the name of the cannery your friend is/was employed by? I would be happy to research it further and verify for the members discussing in this thread one way or the other whether the cannery is inoperational due to this particular event.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Your right. I should listen to the media's interpretation of FUKU fallout which up to now has been nill. Doesn't that raise your hackles even a little? I don't believe any official utterance about this. You can't volatilize tons of rad isotopes, dump it in the ocean and tell me exactly nothing about it. That GETS my attention, not lessens it. As nice as I can say that, BTW.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Here is another link regarding the sick sea life up that way

enenews.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Belay my last, I found enough information. Maybe your wife's friend can reschedule her trip to Alaska. Here's a website teeming with all types of fishing industry jobs, I bold'ed the category that would include canneries

Note that this site was updated on April 21, 2012.

AlaskaJobFinder is a leading website for finding jobs in Alaska. We specialize in the Alaska fishing industry employment, featuring such jobs as:

Current Alaska Job Forecast

Updated April 21, 2012

Current Ratings

Deckhand Jobs: Excellent
Offshore Processing: Excellent
Onshore Processing: Excellent
Fishing Support Jobs: Good
Sport Fishing Jobs: Good
Fishing Lodge Jobs: Very Good
Cruise Ships (AK): Very Good
Land Tour Jobs: Excellent
Adventure Travel: Very Good
Other Tourism Jobs: Very Good

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

100% agree. This thread should be moved to the hoax bin, or at least immediately remove the "BREAKING!" lie.

So inundated with junk. This is exactly why I made the thread I did a few days ago (link below, if curious).

This is nothing be he-said-she-said junk. If SHE heard it, then WHERE from, would be the question. No source? Then can it. Anybody can say anything! That's why professionals require at least two or three (or however many) sources, because they can get sued big time for making certain things up.

Here, anyone can post anything. Hence, junk is posted left and right and gets in the way of decent material. But who cares? Look at how many people flagged this just based on his word alone!

This site is full of idiots, even while there are some intelligent people too, there are a lot of idiots.You know who you are!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Hers an older article on this same boat...

www.cbc.ca...

In Old Massett, B.C., John Disney wondered about the fate of the crewless vessel, despite assurances from federal authorities. The economic development officer is worried about things such as whether there's radiation aboard given what happened to a nuclear reactor in Japan.

"I would dearly love to get on that boat and get some swabs off it, and run 'em through our testing equipment," he told CBC News.

So would I, J.D., so would I. This article is dated early April. Anybody got a link to the test results? Probably not. But sinking instead of salvaging is one sure sign something was not right with it. Thats tons and tons of steel at 200 US dollars per. Unless of course it is slightly radioactive.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

So you're friends are more trustworthy, than my wife's? Canneries are closing or closed. She has no job, due to THIS story she relayed to us. Call your friends and if they aren't dock workers or cannery workers, ask someone who is; like my wife's friend.

No, what I am saying is that there is no shut down of the fishing in Alaska that I know of. That would kill my town. It has been going down hill for years, and canneries have had to shut down, move, skip seasons, and just, its messed up. But they havn't shut down the entire fishing industry. That would be HUGE news in my home town.
Perhaps the cannery they work at will be forced to not open for a year, or skip shrimp or king salmon, I know they outlawed red king crab for a little while when I was there last time,that does happen.

But you are tying Fukashima to a Japanese fishing vessel that was sunk almost a month ago,and suggesting massive radiation from this boat is the cause for a shutdown that could be for certain species of fish at best as a major incident. The big problem in Alaskan waters right now is acidification. That is killing the gulf of Alaska. Fukashima is VERY bad, and will kill the gulf along with acidification if it completely melts down. It would be terrible. I am already worried about going home to be honest.

The fishing industry is struggling. It sucks that your friend doesn't have work this year, but that happens fairly often these days.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join