It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Becomes Math Genius After Head Injury

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Fascinating.

So much data coming into the brain - so little allowed to be put together and understood by it.

Right around 30FPS.... that's all - such a VAST amount we miss. Completely MISS.

It's like we, by some unknown intention, have a lock on our perception.

Thanks for this.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
The question I pose is why are certain segments of our brain are blocked or understimulated to a point where this hidden knowledge refuses to be accessed unless another part of the brain retains deficiencies?

The brain is primarily an antenna, not a processor/hard drive. It is what can receive and transmit the information, but just like our own radios, there are certain parts that "process" the data to turn it into an image, but the fundamental "radio waves" of thought are all out there just waiting for someone to tune in... or I guess in this case... given a kick.

Namaste
edit on 2012/4/29 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

you saw it off southpark when eric cartman tries to fly off his roof and becomes a self-proclaimed psychic

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
They do say we only use a limited part of our brains, maybe he has the ability to tap into a previously locked part of the brain. All the vaccines we had as a child, for illnesses you never hear about these days. Makes you wonder if those vaccines were to deliberately prevent brain development. After all, there is clear evidence that societies from thousands of years ago had very advanced intelligence.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Okay, I've got a hammer and a nail and plenty of Fintstone's Band-Aids.

Just googled a picture of the human brain.

Where do I start hammering?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I saw this doco a few years ago. He gets a head injury and it makes him a sevant. Its an awesome doco. It even has the real 'rainman' in it
edit on 29-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

There are triangles everywhere.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
Stories like these are always intriguing.

This man suffered an attack from thugs and from his subsequent head injuries, develops amazing mathematical abilities he never possessed before.

The question I pose is why are certain segments of our brain are blocked or understimulated to a point where this hidden knowledge refuses to be accessed unless another part of the brain retains deficiencies?

It seems the Pythagorus theorem has an underlying theme to the construct of our realities.

ca.news.yahoo.com...=%252Fvideo%252Fworld-22186928%252Fman-becomes-g enius-after-head-injury-29117136.html

(sorry tried to embed video, did not work)

Another thread that expounds on this phenomenon, is here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This man became a musical genius.

I would like to think we all have untapped knowledge encoded into us but for whatever reason have difficulties accessing.

I would like to think there is a way for everyone to tap in to their true potential without having to smash our heads in.
edit on 28-4-2012 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

I can explain that to you. Because the population is being dumbed down with pop culture. Better believe it. And it's not just that. It's prescribed drugs as well. They "tame" us.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
if we think of the brain as a computer,
IMHO

and your life experiences like an operating system,
when an event occours that "reboots" the system,
you get another chance at reinterperating the information stored in your deep memory,
and some people will act very differently after a nock to the head.
some will have to learn how to read again, or just how to interperate other people.

when one part of the brain is injured in some people, other parts of the brain take over the tasks required in new areas not normally acociated with that function.

because the part of the brain that controls sight, is so large and capable, some of the extra capasity is utilized to carry out functions in the damaged area.

when you get the "seeing" part of your brain to do memory storage, it doees it in its usual way with pictures, and recall can be picture based,

sinithsesia (spelling) is when different parts of the brain co-operate to carry out a task.

imagine "seeing nuimbers as pictures" and then verbalising or sculpting what you see

and in such cases you get artists and mathmaticians,

imagine using your "hearing" being used to encode memories,
the sounds of a song could trigger memory,

this leads to musical savants.

the chances of someone intentionally hitting their head and not doing permentant damage is zero,
the very small number of people who have savant like skills "activated" is neglagable.

some of these people need to learn everything again,
from how to eat to how to interact socially.

an anology wouold be a PC,
over time more and more programs occupy the processor and the machine finally bogs down and becomes slow,
the bump to the head is like a fresh reinstall,

you get all the potential processor time back to use in a different way

xploder

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
*sees post on ATS saying someone received superhuman powers through head injury*
*goes to a construction site without a helmet :lol

But seriously, amazing phenomenon we have here. S + F for you my friend.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

It is true.... many people are able to perform miracles after such an accident.... it seems this part of our brain has been locked somehow during and after birth.... i did think that when we get our shots at an early age that they somehow interfere with our creative mindset!! (Probably just me thinking that the Governments dont want us to be creative)...

Or we just dont know how to unlock this part of our brain from an early age!

But i think we all have it.... i, myself went through a bad time but am now very creative plus i have some pre-cog abilities and Psychic powers!!

And I'm very fast at Sudoku!!

edit on 29-4-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I've had 2 concussions, haven't turned into a genius so far... maybe 3rd time lucky?

It seems becoming artistic is one results, does anyone know of any historic artists who are suspected of maybe having something similar to happen to them, or is it only a recently recorded phenomena?
edit on 29-4-2012 by JailTales because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
the brain is very interesting because having autism i feel like one part of my brain is barely functioning (social "reality") and so my brain had to rely on the other side, which is why many autistics have high iq's and in rare cases (savants) an ability far beyond that.

Likewise, there are people who are completely opposite and spend their life in the social half and seem barely able to access their analytical side.

100% CONSCIOUSNESS HAS TO BE ALLOCATED AT ALL TIMES
It's like we have to remain at 100% consciousness/brain function and nature/genes dictacte how that is spread across the brain. By damaging (or manually discovering how to shut down or effect certain areas) we still have to remain at 100%, so the % that was damaged simply gets re-allocated to another area and adds to what you already have. The brain itself and the consciousness (or 100%) is separate.

If someone was reliant on one side and it got very badly damaged i can believe that they would gain great new abilities because there would be such a large % shift to another area of the brain, making greater differences happen. People who have light damage to a low % area just don't notice the tiny change that happens. The amazing stories are only when a large % of your consciousness/brain function gets re-allocated to another area

I would bet that a person who becomes a math genius and a person who becomes a great artist suffered damage to different areas (and in fact were almost opposite types of people before and that is why they experienced such a great change) I think it would be fascinating to be able to get lots of these people together and categorise them

It seems a long way off that we might actually be able to understand how we could effect different areas of the brain very precisely to basically tune yourself to how you want to be.

Imagine in the future, you could be like a character in a game, by undergoing different stimulus or surgery you could dictate where your 100% is allocated too.

edit on 29-4-2012 by Equ1nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I saw this on Robert Stack's 'Unsolved Mysteries,' years ago. People in car accidents/suffering head trama of some sort gained psychic abilities.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Thanks for the great link, a really interesting read and made sense when i think about the post i made just above this.

The people who get amazing new abilities always seem to have been a very opposite type of person, showing that a large % has been re-allocated to a new area. The stories all seem to have similarities in that aspect.

i did like the line
"the doctor instead told him that after a stroke, the brain can rewire itself to avoid damaged areas. Usually, this rewiring causes things like personality changes, but in Walters' case, it gave him the insatiable urge -- and the ability -- to draw."

Very very interesting indeed.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Right that's it. Considering the number of idiots running around the world everybody grab a baseball bat and start swinging. Lol

This is awesome by the way.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I've also heard stories of people who have sustained head trauma and end up with a different accent or speaking a different language. And these people have never learned another language at any point in their lives. I wonder if a head injury has the potential to "re-activate" unconscious past lives?

I also heard a story years ago about a woman who was in a car accident in Russia and banged her head against the dashboard really hard. When she woke up in the hospital her eyesight was perfect, she never needed to wear her glasses again. She said she could see like when she was a kid.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It isn't always necessary to bang your head. Like the guy who became a math genious for 5 minutes, I have had experiences that only required a little something in the way of meditating or concentration to get into. One recently is that I was playing a piano piece for a few people after warning them that I would make mistakes because it was a hard piece. Near the end of the piece, something clicked and my hands starting playing flawlessly a part that I still have trouble playing well during practice. When I noticed what was happening, I started playing that section faster for fear that my conscious mind would get in the way if I gave it a chance and screw it up. I am hoping that more practice will make that kind of experience the norm, instead of a once in a lifetime experience.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
a simple "pill" open up the same areas

I think it's against ATS terms to talk about mind altering drugs.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sorgfelt

That's being "in the zone". I go there and just listen to myself play the guitar.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join