It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptical Inquirer magazine: Published by UFO Skeptics or Disinformation Agents?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
PLEASE POST THIS ALL OVER CYBERSPACE!

My latest article has been published at The UFO Chronicles:

www.theufochronicles.com...

Science and UFOs:
Part 4—Sincere but Uninformed Skeptics
Have Been Duped by Skeptical Inquirer Magazine

By Robert Hastings
www.ufohastings.com

In this fourth and final installment of my article regarding scientific ignorance and presumption about the UFO phenomenon, I discuss the intriguing, almost completely unpublicized connections between the leading organization of UFO “skeptics” and the U.S. government. Because this group, the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry, has had significant influence on scientists’ attitudes toward UFOs over the years—by constantly promoting the idea that there is nothing worthwhile to study—a closer examination of its role in debunking the phenomenon is warranted.

Those who missed Parts 1, 2 and/or 3—including physicist Dr. James E. McDonald’s Prepared Statement before the U.S. Congress, in which he summarized his UFO research and asserted his position that UFOs are probably extraterrestrial craft—may read those here:

Part 1—The Condon Committee Con Job

Part 2—Occam’s Rusty Razor

Part 3—Deep Denial Disguised as Rational Skepticism

So, who am I and what do I bring to the table? On September 27, 2010, I co-sponsored the “UFOs and Nukes” press conference at the National Press Club in Washington D.C., during which seven U.S. Air Force (USAF) veterans spoke about their UFO encounters at nuclear weapons sites, including incidents involving large numbers of ICBMs mysteriously malfunctioning at a time when disc-shaped craft were observed silently hovering near their launch facilities by Air Force Security Police.

CNN streamed the ground-breaking press conference live and the full-length video of it may be viewed below.

MORE AT THE LINK ABOVE

edit on 28-4-2012 by Robert Hastings because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Disinformation (a direct translation of Russian дезинформация dezinformatsiya) is intentionally false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately.

You know it's easier to make up stories about UFOs than it is to counter the stories that come out right?

Makes you put into question just who the "agents" really are.

Not implying against anyone specific... Just food for thought.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Wow! Really neat stuff. Thank you for contributing and sharing.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well I don't believe that there is something like a disinformation agent, so I see them as skeptics. So one needs to ask the question of what is the difference in a believer and a skeptic?

The answer is how much evidence, or lack of, does it take to believe?

edit on 28-4-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Disinformation (a direct translation of Russian дезинформация dezinformatsiya) is intentionally false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately.

You know it's easier to make up stories about UFOs than it is to counter the stories that come out right?

Makes you put into question just who the "agents" really are.
Not implying against anyone specific... Just food for thought.

Well now that I read this I would say an disinformation agent is ANYONE who is trying to make a buck off of all this.....

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have a cousin who has published articles in Skeptical Inquirer, mostly about debunking false psychics and faith healers. He's also contributed to one or two of James Randi's books. Anyway, he's not a Disinfo Agent, he just thinks its important to stop charlatans, especially people like faith healers who give people false hope that they've been healed of serious illnesses when in fact they have not. He's a medical doctor, so that last part is really kind of a mission for him. To his point of view he's helping save lives, so people with serious illnesses won't throw their money and the hopes away on false healers and will seek proper medial attention for what ails them.
edit on 4/28/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Well I don't believe that there is something like a disinformation agent

You must lead a very sheltered life.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Robert Hastings, you must be having a real hard sell for your part of the echo flight nonsense these days.

For anybody interested in facts, google James Carlson echo flight, it makes for an interesting read.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Very interesting, and certainly compelling.

Thank you for visiting robert.

(ps I saw one of your lectures recently, it was very interesting!)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Well I don't believe that there is something like a disinformation agent, so I see them as skeptics. So one needs to ask the question of what is the difference in a believer and a skeptic?

The answer is how much evidence, or lack of, does it take to believe?

Oh you don't do you, well I most certainly do and believe most skeptics fall into that category myself and a host of others as well.

The vast majority of people on all the polls are believers by the way.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I just found this interview. I wish there was a part 2, but its very well done. Thank you so much for your contributions in this field and bringing forth truth.

Lecture: The UFO - Nuke connection Part 1 - Robert Hastings

CNN - Larry King: UFOs shut down missiles??

edit on 28-4-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Oh you don't do you, well I most certainly do and believe most skeptics fall into that category myself and a host of others as well.

The vast majority of people on all the polls are believers by the way.

And the vast majority in the world are very ignorant people too, hmm I wonder if there is a correlation here....BTW...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Well I don't believe that there is something like a disinformation agent

You must lead a very sheltered life.

Yep very sheltered, or one that just maybe has physically been a part of a lot and not just arm chair Googling to establish my perspective on things.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Skeptical Inquirer magazine: Published by UFO Skeptics or Disinformation Agents?,

From my own experience of reading the mag many, many times, I'd say neither.

They rarely even mention UFOs.

If anything, the mag seems to be published by Homeopathy skeptics, since they seem to be obsessed with that quackery.

Harte

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
I have a cousin who has published articles in Skeptical Inquirer, mostly about debunking false psychics and faith healers. He's also contributed to one or two of James Randi's books. Anyway, he's not a Disinfo Agent, he just thinks its important to stop charlatans, especially people like faith healers who give people false hope that they've been healed of serious illnesses when in fact they have not. He's a medical doctor, so that last part is really kind of a mission for him. To his point of view he's helping save lives, so people with serious illnesses won't throw their money and the hopes away on false healers and will seek proper medial attention for what ails them.

Nice post. And a reminder to all of us to not paint with too broad of a brush.

I do think Hastings makes several valid and important points though.

(I also think anyone with the appropriate balance of skepticism/open-mindedness sees how silly James Carlson looks on a pretty regular basis, no? His angry 10,0000 word rants can be pretty entertaining!)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Robert Hastings

Some nice articles there Robert and you certainly make some very astute points about the Condon report - that was probably the best $300,000 of taxpayer's money the USAF ever spent.

Also liked the statement from Dr James E. Mcdonald and he made another very good one below about how many of the highly dubious 'official' government UFO explanations need serious reappraisal.

"As a result of several trips to project Bluebook,I´ve had an opportunity to examine quite carefully and in detail the types of reports that are made by Bluebook personnel.In most cases, I have found that theres almost no correlation between so-called "evaluations and explanations" that are made by Bluebook and the facts of the case...
There are hundreds of good cases in the Air Force files that should have led to top-level scientific scrutiny of this problem,years ago,yet these cases have been swept under the rug in a most disturbing way by Project Bluebook investigators and their consultants."

Dr James McDonald -Senior physicist at the Institute for Atmospheric Physics and professor in the Department of Meteorology at the University of Arizona

link

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
An honor to have you here, Mr. Hastings. I like what you're doing. Keep it up!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

well I most certainly do and believe most skeptics fall into that category myself and a host of others as well.

How ignorant.

I shouldn't be surprised though, since you err on the "too open minded" side of things...

So when the likes of Jaime Maussan, Jose Escamilla, Blossom Goodchild, Marshall Applewhite, Billy Meier and dozens of others are proven to be frauds by skeptics, it's disinfo is it?

Give me a break will you, the disingenuous and dishonesty comes from 90% of the UFO believer crowd.

And people like you are why skeptics are needed otherwise we'd have a thousand Heaven's Gate like cults running about.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Here's the event at the National Press Club:

One thing I notice upon re-watching this. Some of these guys appear just bloody nervous. You can tell they would much rather not be standing up in front of people, saying what they are saying. So why are they doing it? They must feel it's pretty important.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Debunker James Carlson’s father, Eric, is a former U.S. Air Force ICBM launch officer who was involved, decades ago, in a UFO incident at a missile site operated by Malmstrom AFB, Montana—although the elder Carlson continues to deny it.

Nevertheless, I’ve interviewed other former/retired officers and enlisted men who’ve stated that a UFO had indeed been hovering over one of the Echo Flight ICBMs early on the morning of March 16, 1967, when the entire flight of ten mysteriously malfunctioned.

I subsequently published those persons’ testimony and, still later, some of the actual tape recordings of their conversations with me—thereby convincingly contradicting Eric Carlson’s claims of no UFO-involvement in the incident.

In response, son James has been libeling me all over cyberspace ever since. His father is telling the truth, he claims, and all of those other officers are full of it.

My taped conversations with Eric Carlson's former Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander, now-retired Col. Walter Figel, may be heard at:

www.ufohastings.com...

Figel states that he did indeed receive a report from one of his guards of a “large, round object” hovering “directly over” one of the Echo ICBMs seconds after it dropped-off alert status and became unlaunchable. Figel further says that he and Eric Carlson were told not to talk about the incident by their squadron commander.

As one will hear, Figel also says that Carlson's comments about Echo are "off-base" and that he "has an ax to grind."

Carlson has claimed that I doctored the tapes. If so, why hasn't Figel said that online, in an affidavit?

The reason is because the tapes are legitimate and unaltered. I have recently challenged Carlson to pay for a professional analysis of the tapes, to verify all of this. He, of course, ignores my offer. It's much easier to go on making unfounded claims about me and my work.

Lots of folks worldwide can't seem to deal with this info and so continue to hide their heads in the sand. That's human nature, I suppose. Too bad, however, that some of those same folks are so easily duped by the likes of Mr. Carlson.

Re: the one page posted earlier on this thread, relating to the Echo Flight shutdowns, that was from a preliminary assessment. The definitive findings came from Boeing engineer Robert Kaminski, who headed the team that did the actual technical investigation. His audiotaped interview about those are at:

Audio interview www.theufochronicles.com...

Kaminski said that no prosaic cause for the missile failures could be found. He also got reports from USAF-Boeing liaison personnel at the base saying that UFOs had been involved. As one will hear him say, the Air Force suddenly ordered him to halt his investigation and not to file a report--an unprecidented and unique order during Kaminski's many years of working with the Air Force. Clearly, the command staff at Malmstrom was trying to suppress the facts, even from the Boeing team.

edit on 29-4-2012 by Robert Hastings because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join