It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Light: Sun and Your Heart...Intense Light Prevents, Treats Heart Attacks, Study Suggests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I had no clue as to where to place this thread on ATS, so I took a shot in the dark and placed it under philosophy and metaphysics. It seemed to be the most appropriate... Mods, feel free to move.

"The study suggests that strong light, or even just daylight, might ease the risk of having a heart attack or suffering damage from one," says Tobias Eckle, MD, PhD, an associate professor of anesthesiology, cardiology, and cell and developmental biology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. "For patients, this could mean that daylight exposure inside of the hospital could reduce the damage that is caused by a heart attack."

There's much to be said about the relation between the Sun, our Earth, and every other body with in our planetary system, and the cosmos a like as to how we function. This is only the tip of the ice berg I would suggest, in regards to the importance of these relationships.

The answer lies, perhaps surprisingly, in the circadian rhythm, the body's clock that is linked to light and dark. The circadian clock is regulated by proteins in the brain. But the proteins are in other organs as well, including the heart.

I have always pondered the relationship between human beings and their life styles, such as being indoors more often than not, and what effects that it may have on the body. This study goes to show there may be some strong correlations can be drawn between our physical being, health, and mind with that of celestial bodies such as our sun.

It would be an obvious jump to conclusions, but if the sun can play such a significant role with our biology, then one can only imagine what role it plays(relation between Earth and Sun and us) in regards to any Astrology type application...

And here's where the circadian rhythm comes in. The study showed that the Period 2 protein is vital for that change in fuel, from fat to glucose, and therefore could make heart metabolism more efficient. In fact, Strong daylight activated Period 2 in animals and minimized damage from a heart attack.

Intense Light Prevents, Treats Heart Attacks, Study Suggests
www.sciencedaily.com...

Obviously there is much more research to be done, and many other factors to be taken in, in order to draw any grand conclusions... but, dare I suggest that maybe those sun worshipers, celestial religions, and pagan belief systems weren't all that crazy... and in fact, on to something. By the way, those religions that I just listed, includes Christianity(look up the dates of easter and christmas, and why).

What does ATS think?
edit on 28-4-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: clarification

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
what that tells me is people should get off the couch and go outside and get some sun and maybe, just maybe exercise a little and they might not get a heart attack. good thinkin doc.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I've done some light researching as to the connection between circadian rhythms and its role with biology. I'm seeing strong connections between regulating circadian rhythm, the hypothalamus, and Serotonin levels. Which then translates to implications regarding the Central Nervous System, Serotonin levels, and emotion(especially that of happiness).

If there is anybody that can 'shed some light' onto the subject, I would appreciate it. Although I'm not necessarily a stranger to mammalian biology, I'm by no means someone that can attempt to explain the connections between these systems accurately.

Can anybody preemptively deny my ignorance, before I ignorantly suggest any connections and theories as to who and how we are? Especially in relation to sun cycles, and the life of the sun itself.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Just bond with Nature.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

ScienceDaily (May 18, 2011) — Vitamin D, which is primarily absorbed from the sun, plays a role in protection against childhood asthma. Now, a new study led by Valencian researchers has shown that children who live in colder, wetter cities are at greater risk of suffering from this respiratory problem, since there are fewer hours of sunlight in such places.

Sun Protects Against Childhood Asthma
www.sciencedaily.com...

"Although we need more studies on this issue -- this hypothesis is not even five years old -- it is clear that an average level of sun exposure is important for the assimilation of vitamin D, a compound that is extremely important in preventing illnesses such as asthma, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases," stresses Arnedo-Pena.

I just thought I'd throw in some more sustenance as to the importance between the relationship between life, biology, and our sun...

Once the benefits of sun exposure are understood, it can be seen that there is a problem in countries at latitudes higher than 40º north, where it is not possible to absorb enough vitamin D during the winter months. "People in these countries should take supplements to ensure they are not at risk," the researcher concludes

Obviously, too much of one thing, is never a good thing. Excluding any rhetoric towards the expression of non dualism through extreme polarity, and the philosophical application that may be applied(some members of ATS will know what I'm referencing).

I remember hearing all about the importance of getting sun, when I was younger. I kinda always blew it off, for I was young, and seemingly spent enough time in the sun anyways. But now, I can honestly say that I do notice a extreme difference in my mood, thought processes, and health in relationship with the time spent outside during the day.

I've been working outside now, since the weather has allowed me to return to my work. During the winter months, I was still out going, happy and what not, yet something seemed to be missing. Now, since I've been spending more time outside, and not living like a hermit(reason why I'm on ATS in the first place lol), I feel great!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I am not disagreeing with this BUT when I researched this (as I have had problems in the past) I found naother reason that sunshine can have a postive effect.

I read in New Scientist that heart cells are extremely sensitive to calcium levels in the blood.

Blood Calcium is linked to how much Vitamin D, Magnesium and Zinc you have in your body.

After years of nutrition research, I feel it is all inter linked and we need to look at the body in a holistic way, not just thinking one thing will cure you.

One point of interest I found, is that acidosis can deplete the body of calcium (and potassium) and this can be produced by eating white sugar, wheat products and rice; all so called junk foods.

Low Magnesium can produce asthma and excema; any inflammatory disease in fact.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

this was a breath of fresh air, pineal, circadian, dna light body activation etc

including Aries' reply

my only gripe with being out long periods is the UVA/UVB on exposed areas despite sunscreens (but thats mostly just photoaging)

and the plummeting air quality (about half a pack of cigs in most cities, a full pack a day in the worst, even with light daily out and about)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
My grandma used to sit in the sun for respiratory distress and when her arthritis acted up. In fact just remembered that the other day when I stretched out on on patio the other day. Funny you would start a thread about it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Great thread, thank you for posting!

I have always found it fascinating how we are affected by sunlight and weather and air. We are, quite literally, the world. I think that the humans of "first world" countries have forgotten this, and that is why we are becoming less healthy and why the world is less healthy.

I am picturing poor Mother Nature, addicted to pollution, living with plastic implanted under her skin, bloated with toxins, and morbidly obese.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Hey, hope I'm not too late in posting but instead of starting a new thread I figured I better reply here with more research. Thanks for the research on circadian rhythm - and to Aries for the calcium levels. All good connections.

Two more studies have come out about sun-induced vitamin D in the production of nitric oxide in the blood which helps blood pressure and aorta elasticiy.

Thing is, as far as vit D goes, this only occurs from the sun - not vit D supplements. Yay for sun!

There are already established health connections to vitamin D and help with diabetes, autoimmune diseases, cancer, mood and much more. But evidence is mounting that vitamin D could be one of the most important factors in preventing heart disease, the number one killer in the U.S.

More Scientists Recommend Vitamin D from Sun to Prevent Heart Disease

They were saying that the benefits outweigh the risks of skin cancer.

Anyone have anymore info on this topic?

new topics

top topics

join