It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers find new planet capable of supporting life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1472 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Astronomers find new planet capable of supporting life

www.telegraph.co.uk

The planet lies in what they describe as a 'habitable zone', neither too near its sun to dry out or too far away which freezes it.

And the discovery could help answer the question of whether we are alone in the universe, which has been plagued astronomers and alien fanatics for years.

Scientists found the planet, Gliese 667Cc, orbiting around a red dwarf star, 22 light years away from the earth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I think it's fascinating that even though we're only able to observe a tiny fraction of a percent of the whole universe, we're still able to find life-supporting planets when we look. Image how many of these are out there that we can't see.

For the intelligent-design believers - I have a hard time believing that whatever being(s) created the universe created such a vast place and then only decided to create life on this one isolated planet on the outskirts of a minor galaxy, leaving the rest of the universe to be largely irrelevant.

For those who believe in atheistic evolution - I think that if intelligent life were able to evolve here, it's statistically pretty likely it has evolved somewhere else as well. There are most likely planets out there that are more hospitable for life that Earth.

www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I'm getting tired of the "New Planet Capable of Supporting Life" headlines.
Nothing against you or your thread. It's just I want to see...
"New Planet with Intelligent Alien Life Forms" as a headline.
Until then, S&F

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

As you should be, because most likely.........they aren't finding ANYTHING. New planet this, new planet that, million planets here, billion planets there, blah blah blah.

All a hoax. Take us out of the damn fishbowl already.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by holywar666

Originally posted by GmoS719

As you should be, because most likely.........they aren't finding ANYTHING. New planet this, new planet that, million planets here, billion planets there, blah blah blah.

All a hoax. Take us out of the damn fishbowl already.

I do believe that they are finding planets, I just think they know more than they are leading us to believe.
Slowly telling us that there are aliens, instead of throwing it in our face.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I happen to think its all fake. UFO's, Planets, Pluto, Uranus. Its hilarious to them most likely. Us humans would have no idea, as we cant get into space. That's why i dislike these type of stories, because i know its just the media trying to hype the "life outside earth" theory.

There could be diddly squat out there, and we are just experiments apart of a grand conspiracy, trapped in a highly sophisticated controlled environment, monitored by Elites.........it sure would create a lot of job openings

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I can imagine this news regards life "as we know it". Additionally, this is a planet that's within the goldilocks zone, which refers to any type of planet, regardless of size, but resides within this zone we regard as comparable to earths'.

According to this source, there's no shortage of planets that resides in this goldilocks zone in out galaxy:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Scientists have estimated the first cosmic census of planets in our galaxy and the numbers are astronomical: at least 50 billion planets in the Milky Way.

At least 500 million of those planets are in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold zone where life could exist. The numbers were extrapolated from the early results of NASA's planet-hunting Kepler telescope.
Source

It's about time we start to make these calculations into hard cold facts.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Isnt this the same planet Gliese thats been popping up on ATS for like 2 years now?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND...posted yesterday

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Weird,first they said this place existed 2 years ago,then denied it was there due to a mistake.

Now its there again?Or have they secretly been there and seen its an empty place...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I think sooner rather than later your going to get your wish.

I for one think its coming very soon, I have no evidence of this...its just feeling I have.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

I think it's fascinating that even though we're only able to observe a tiny fraction of a percent of the whole universe, we're still able to find life-supporting planets when we look. Image how many of these are out there that we can't see.

For the intelligent-design believers - I have a hard time believing that whatever being(s) created the universe created such a vast place and then only decided to create life on this one isolated planet on the outskirts of a minor galaxy, leaving the rest of the universe to be largely irrelevant.

For those who believe in atheistic evolution - I think that if intelligent life were able to evolve here, it's statistically pretty likely it has evolved somewhere else as well. There are most likely planets out there that are more hospitable for life that Earth.

www.telegraph.co.uk

I believe in intelligent design, but I also believe that there is other advanced and intelligent life out there. You mention that it is statistically pretty likely, and that is exactly and literally right. I think that the principle of normal distribution in statistics proves mathematically that we are not alone. Although we only have one known planet with life (ours) we also know that there are almost 800 out there that have already been discovered, and now we have this one. Math tells us that there are billions, if not trillions of planets in our galaxy alone, due to the number of stars in our galaxy. So now we know of 5 planets in the habitable zone, ours and 4 others, so either we are part of the standard deviation or outside the standard deviation all together, but probability suggests that due to the number of planets out there, we are part of the normal distribution. Just my opinion.
edit on 28-4-2012 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

We have done fine on this planet so far... I am not a tree hugger, but shouldn't we use our brain power to fix the planet we are own instead of looking for one we personally will never be able to live on... It is good to have hopes and dreams of space travel and exo-conlonization, but it is also a way to ruin something we could have valued much later.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

This is exactly the same theme as the 'Battleship' movoe.

Coincidence?

I hope we don't start beaming messages there. You never let a potential enemy know where you are.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

Thank-you was I the only one thinking that?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
if a super rich entrepreneur (and I mean SUPER rich) builds himself a space craft and somehow gets himself to one of these hospitable planets - can he then claim the entire planet for himself or his company? (assuming there arent intelligent creatures already there)

Does anyone know if we have rules for independent space colonization yet?

I am thinking future resort worlds ... and prison planets.... and mining/farming colonies.... all the things that rich guys like to throw money at, but expanded onto a celestial scale - its both beautiful and disgusting at the same time!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
i for one hope they dont find super intelligent lifeforms remember what happened when Europeans rediscovered north America the natives didnt fare so well.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
As near as I can tell, it is the exoplanet discovered in October of 2009.

A link...
Space.com

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by henryleo
if a super rich entrepreneur (and I mean SUPER rich) builds himself a space craft and somehow gets himself to one of these hospitable planets - can he then claim the entire planet for himself or his company? (assuming there arent intelligent creatures already there)

Does anyone know if we have rules for independent space colonization yet?

I am thinking future resort worlds ... and prison planets.... and mining/farming colonies.... all the things that rich guys like to throw money at, but expanded onto a celestial scale - its both beautiful and disgusting at the same time!

Its banned by the outer space treaty of 1967.

A decision to deliberately keep us earth bound IMHO.

Its worked very well.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I pretty much support the intelligent design theory. But I think it's highly unlikely that an intelligent designer would create life as we know it on this planet alone. Why would that intelligence decide to pick us and no one else?

As some of you have said, the question now is would that other life be hostile or friendly. It probably depends on how highly evolved their life forms (and ours) might be.

Some of you are already speculating on how we could exploit another planet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join