It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best new Science fiction author.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
OK folks, here is my dilemma. I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and my favorite science fiction authors were (and still is) Arthur Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Philip Dick and all the others from that generation. In the 80's and 90's I red Greg Bear, Gregory Benford, and so on. Those are the author's whose books I still buy, but I can see that I am rather reading old stuff for nostalgia's sake. Time for me to move on...

I am sure there as just as good new Science Fiction writers out there. Who do you read, and why?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I haven't read sci-fi for years. Please recommend me a must-read. I've tons of kindle books so there's a good chance I have it on pc.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I always like Crichton for modern Sci-fi, as well as William Gibson.

Two of my favorites.

Orson Scott Cards good too.

Although Crichton is dead the other two still write.
edit on 28-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I always like Crichton for modern Sci-fi, as well as William Gibson.

Two of my favorites.

Orson Scott Cards good too.

Although Crichton is dead the other two still write.
edit on 28-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

that is my problem. I have read Crichton, Orson Scott Card, and Gibson, and I know they are (semi)old-school (80's), and have read most (if not all) of their books. When I buy new science fiction, I tend to stick with authors I know, and not experiment with new authors. But books are expensive, and it can take many tries to come up with a good, new science fiction author.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Give Richard Morgan a try. His first is Altered Carbon and is a good mix of action and philosophical reflection on the nature of personal identity. Try the library. The books are free!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos
Give Richard Morgan a try. His first is Altered Carbon and is a good mix of action and philosophical reflection on the nature of personal identity. Try the library. The books are free!

thanks, will give Richard Morgan a try.

As to libraries .... well, the ones I've tried, have science-fiction from the same eras that I am talking about, not really new things. I had my own library consisting out of about 10 000 science-fiction books, (and yes, I actually have read them all), when I moved countries, and I couldn't afford to bring my whole library with, (the saddest part about moving to a new country), so you can guess that very few libraries have books that I haven't had in my library.

btw. I like your Avatar (Isaac Asimov)
edit on 28/4/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

My first two are a father son combo and that is Frank and Brian Herbert; I also would recommend Kevin J. Anderson, they are all three amazing writers.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by KwisatzHaderach

I have read some of Kevin J Anderson's works and I liked it. Will try some more of his works. And I haven't read any of the new Dune-series either, just the original Dune series. (Think the last Dune novel I have read was "Chapterhouse: Dune".

thanks for that

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos

I too recomend this, excellent read

Also
Peter F Hamilton - Pandora's Star - Judas Unchained - The Reality Dysfunction - The Neutronium Alchemist - The Naked God - The Dreaming Void - The Temporal Void

Alistair Reynolds - The Revelation space series

A star to anyone who can tell me which book my name comes from.
edit on 28-4-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
read Ready Player One.

best sci fi I've read in over a decade.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Try Sean Mcmullen's Greatwinter Trilogy,

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

I wrote a sci-fi novel last year, it's a bit like 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' but is set in the UK in 1992.

It's an action adventure story about a couple of UFOs that are detected by a military early warning radar station, they are then assessed as being the real thing, real alien spacecraft, and the military become involved.

Now, I can't tell you my name or the title of the book on here as far as I understand it, I got my knuckles wrapped for putting this information along with where to get a copy on this sites 'introduction' section.
(Which has since been deleted by a moderator)

It seems strange to me that there are many people on this site looking for new books to read on this subject and people like myself can't tell you about them, really strange.

I wrote my novel with the Googling conspiracy theorist in mind so it may well be of interest.

So, how can I let you know where to look at my book if you're interested?

(It is available on-line and as a paperback)

edit on 28-4-2012 by Talon22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Try John Scalzi. The series "Old Man's War" is pretty good. He has a novel called "Fuzzy Nation" that's apparently a reworking of somebody else's story (he gives credit up front) which I would recommend just for the part where the prospector teaches his dog to detonate charges!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Talon22

You can write the name of the book and author here, just like all the other books listed.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Wigit:

Many thanks for your reply. I hope you're right, I don't want to get barred.

It's called 'A Strange Encounter' and it's by Steve Fellick.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Are void hawks the living ships in the nights dawn trilogy? It's been awhile for me.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
These are all kindle titles. Inexpensive titles and good reads. Watch the free promotional list. Many of these appear there from time to time.

King of America - Rod Glenn
The Killing Moon - Rod Glenn (actually anything of Rod Glenn's)
Rigel Kentaurus - Rick Novy
Chamberlain's Folly - Robert Dean Hall
The List - JA Konrath
Origin - JA Konrath
War of the Worlds: Aftermath - Tony Wright
Bully - AJ Kirby
Deadbeat - Remy Porter

These are just the ones I've read. I have more titles on my kindle that I can suggest later.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Stephen Baxter
Charles Stross
Ken Macleod
Neal Asher
Robert Reed
Dan Simmons
Celia Friedman
MArianne de Pierres

I can't think of more right now.Check them out they are really good.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I know it's a video game, but it was still excellently written. Drew Karpyshyn's Mass Effect (the first. It's easily argued once EA got a hold of the series, it suffers faults. But the first was free of such imperial intanglements.) is IMHO the best work of Sci-Fi in a long time. It has a unquie universe and truely 3D characters. Add the fact he had to write multiple trees that still work for whatever decisions as the player you will be making, and it can easily be seen for the epic achievement of writing it was.
He also has to his credit excellently well written games like Neverwinter Nights. Knights of the Old Republic (though personally I enjoyed the second one more, but that's just Kreia's influence on my weak Jedi mind, no doubt ^.~), Dragon Age II (Which was basically a push the button to move the movie along. And while this gameplay hurts it in the eyes of critics, the story in itself was well done, IMHO) and Jade Empire.

top topics

join