It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honor thy Soldiers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

In the same spirit, I would like to thank all soldiers from all countries, around the world who sacrifice their lives to allow millions around the globe to sleep at night knowing that soldier from their country is out there to protect them people that send their own soldiers from far away places to blindly attack them.

38 years ago I saw US ships with their cannons pointing to the Portuguese parliament. It wasn't because the Portuguese were enemies of the US, it was just because the Portuguese ended a 48 years old dictatorship and the US was afraid of the big bogeyman of that time, Communism, so they sent their soldiers to point their guns to a civilian population that was trying to get their deserved freedom back.

The revolution that ended the 48 years long dictatorship was organised by (mostly) captains from the Portuguese armed forces (I know the responsible for the organisation of the revolution in Mozambique, then one of the Portuguese colonies fighting an independence war)but they were supported by the people from the start.

Soldiers are paws, just like the civilians, they just have to understand that instead of thinking about "us" (military) and "them" (civilians), as they are all part of the people of the country (whatever it may be).

So, I would like to thank to all people, civilians, from the armed forces, religious or not, that fight for the lives and well being of their fellow humans, regardless of country, colour, religion, etc.

Countries are just another way of keeping us apart.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

My boss was one of those people that were sent to war without knowing why. They probably told them that he was fighting for the country, to protect it from the Communists or something like that (I have a faint idea of the words of that time).

During the time he spent in the war (mostly in Guinea-Bissau) he learned (mostly from the regiment's doctor) why he was fighting that war, that it was to not let the people from the colonies to get independence, and he once saw the doctor treating an enemy, against the orders of the doctor's superiors, that had told them to let him die.

From that point he started to help the people from the country as most as he could (and he still does that today), trying to compensate for the bad that he helped to spread among them.

The feeble (or even fake) reasons behind that war was one of the reasons for the revolution that ended the Portuguese dictatorship.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Citizens of this fine nation owe you NOTHING.

You CHOSE to enlist. You CHOSE the military as your career.

You do not 'spread Democracy", and most of the adventures the current troops have been on is not in my interest or yours.

"Honor Troops"? Get real. Who made that up? Somewhere along the line someone decided soldiers were to be put on a pedestal as the highest of our society and I ain't buyin it. It get's rammed down our throats with absolutely no basis.

Honor the truth. Honor your parents (if they act right). Honor your wife. Yourself. Your lovers. Your good friends. Your children.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Only the US Military has ever had the capability to help regardless of war, natural disaster (i.e. Haiti), famine (i.e. Africa), medicine (i.e. South America), education (i.e. middle east), civil engineering (everywhere) to HELP the people around the world.

Thank you for your post, star for you, all those that are IGNORANT of HISTORY that flame and hate. You are the reason our country is in the sad shape it is in. Peoples ignorance has put corrupt officials in power, as far down as your county judge. Your vote, or lack there of has RUINED this country.

Now we will all pay the piper, you better damn well hope a good (soon to be ex) military member is willing to TEACH YOU how to survive this mess.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
Citizens of this fine nation owe you NOTHING.

You CHOSE to enlist. You CHOSE the military as your career.

You do not 'spread Democracy", and most of the adventures the current troops have been on is not in my interest or yours.

"Honor Troops"? Get real. Who made that up? Somewhere along the line someone decided soldiers were to be put on a pedestal as the highest of our society and I ain't buyin it. It get's rammed down our throats with absolutely no basis.

Honor the truth. Honor your parents (if they act right). Honor your wife. Yourself. Your lovers. Your good friends. Your children.

People like this is the exact reason we are in this mess, YOU DONT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN CO"UNTRY AND CHOOSE SCAPEGOATS.

All those politicians TYOU put in office caused this, YOU buying CHINA PRODUCTS, caused this, YOU not supporting AMERICAN INDUSTRY caused this, YOU CAUSED THIS, not the military.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eavel
Only the US Military has ever had the capability to help regardless of war, natural disaster (i.e. Haiti), famine (i.e. Africa), medicine (i.e. South America), education (i.e. middle east), civil engineering (everywhere) to HELP the people around the world.
That kind of blindness does not help your country or the view of it that people from other countries have of it.

That is the kind of blindness that helps politicians get what they want.

I still remember the dictatorship-time posters on the walls (the only posters that were allowed that were not related to events like bullfights), that said "The Portuguese soldier is as good as the best" and things like that.

Presenting the military as if they were some kind of first class citizens when compared to the civilians is the same thing as creating a different kind of apartheid.

Soldiers and civilians are equal, and if one cannot live without the other is the soldier that cannot live without the civilians working and paying for them to get all the things they get.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Love the speech that Jack Nicholson uses in, "A Few Good Man"...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by Eavel
That kind of blindness does not help your country or the view of it that people from other countries have of it.

That is the kind of blindness that helps politicians get what they want.

I still remember the dictatorship-time posters on the walls (the only posters that were allowed that were not related to events like bullfights), that said "The Portuguese soldier is as good as the best" and things like that.

Presenting the military as if they were some kind of first class citizens when compared to the civilians is the same thing as creating a different kind of apartheid.

Soldiers and civilians are equal, and if one cannot live without the other is the soldier that cannot live without the civilians working and paying for them to get all the things they get.

guess you couldnt see the meaning that, American citizens caused it all, not a piece of the pie, the entire pie, but whatever.

Have a cookie

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This is a great thread for we all need to appreciate the sacrifice the military personal go through to make our lives safer. Are there rogue soldiers? Yes, but most soldiers serve their country to better their lives and to honor their country.

Today, soldiers are not given the appreciation or respect they deserve. Let us not forget the families of our soldiers as well. For they have to go through much pain not knowing when they will see their loved one again.
edit on 28-4-2012 by denya11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2012 by denya11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I suppose I could get behind the military if we had a good villain. Saddam, Khadaffi, and all those Asian communists did not seem very evil. Hitler, now that was a villain. The problem with my nationalistic and militaristic pride is that I just can't seem to find an evil enough enemy. I can't seem to group entire nations into one "axis of evil" part. I realize now in life that we wage war on the wrong people. I paid taxes, helping to kill a million people in Iraq, please ask nothing more of me. The plan to get cheap oil never really worked anyway. I told ya so.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I support our toops and have many family and friends who have and are currently serving, no matter what you think they are defending us and deserve your respect at the least forget all the crap and just remeber these are PEOPLE!!! men, women, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, of people you probally know! some of these people have joined the military simply because it was the best option for their future I know many doctors who joined simply so they could finish medical school without being in debt for the rest of their lives. Many joined simply because there were no opportunities available and they couldn't afford college. It really makes me anger to see people who refuse to stop and consider why someone might have to do something they find disagreeable

on a side note I was behind someone the other day who had one of the best bumperstickers I have seen in awhile it said "support our troops.......... we'll need their help to overthrow the government" hehehe made me smile

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

These are the same troops that are now police officers and TSA punks. The ones that are de-sensitized robots, brought on from killing and seeing their comrades killed.
These are the ones they prefer to hire!
Thats why you have cops tazing old ladies and little kids. Thats why you have punks in the airports feeling up your little children and your grandmothers.
If some of you think for a second that these cops, federal agents and soldiers, wont fire on US citizens when told, then you are delusional.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
i prefer to honor teachers who still try to bring some knowledge
i prefer to honor nurses who take care of people, some of them being in need of such help because they encountered young ill-informed people in a uniform from another country that thought it was a good idea to shoot at them.

i don't disrespect individual soldiers, i feel pity for a lot of them as they are being abused as well, they are the victim of sinister people who invent some reason to invade other nations in order to put their interests safe.

and if i would have had the intention to flame, i wouldn't have used these words, i would have posted a link to the collateral damage video. Please tell me: can anyone honor these actions?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
phantomjack

I support our toops ..I think the main thing is to never forget their sacrifices..The way I do it is to go up to them, shake their hand and say 'Thank you for your service to our country'...

We should hold our military men and women in high esteem; we owe them our freedom and our lives. We must individually respect them and as a country collectively honor them in life and death.

We should remember their sacrifice not just only on Veterans and Memorial Day but on each and every day we are free..

Thank you phantomjack for posting this thread..S&F peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by RN311

These are the same troops that are now police officers and TSA punks. The ones that are de-sensitized robots, brought on from killing and seeing their comrades killed.
These are the ones they prefer to hire!
Thats why you have cops tazing old ladies and little kids. Thats why you have punks in the airports feeling up your little children and your grandmothers.
If some of you think for a second that these cops, federal agents and soldiers, wont fire on US citizens when told, then you are delusional.

and for everyone of those who are former military there are just as many who never were in the military and do just as many bad things.
You missed my point about how for some people this is the only option for them if they want to get any kind of higher education or find a job were they can make more then minimum wage and eventual advance, I don't mean while their in the military I mean finding job oppurtunities after they get out which is actully getting harder because some people think that vets who have seen combat can be a liability when it comes to things like post traumatic stress and so forth.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Its not the soldier, marine, saylor, or airman who want to fight these wars. It is the 1% PERIOD! For all services tis is for you...

Quoted from unknown autor"

The soldier stood and faced his God,
Which must always come to pass;
He hoped his shoes were shining bright,
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you turned the other cheek?
To my church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't;
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was rough;
I've had to break your rules my Lord,
Because the world is awfully tough.

But, I never took a thing
That wasn't mine to keep;
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear;
And sometimes ... God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here;
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand;
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints often trod;
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, soldier,
You've borne your burdens well;
Come walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in HELL!"

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
interesting, f3 ,so tell me , what school did you go to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join