It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian naval admiral: ‘If needed, we can move to within three miles of New York’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Iran's navy is a joke compared to ours. Don't buy into this, they are just trying to appear powerful in the eyes of their own people.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Reality is that this is nothing more than political posturing and saber rattling, as a prior poster pointed out. It is empty rhetoric, as the Iranian’s do not have the will or the motivation or the hardware to pull this off. While they may have some ships in NYC harbor, does anyone really think that they would dare risk an attack, or even potentially causing an international incident? Or even that they are prepared for the logistics of such a journey from Iran all of the way to NYC?

Consider this, to travel that amount of distance, they would have to replenish before crossing the Atlantic, and then having supplies brought to them along the way and then to sit there outside of NYC, to do what? Just sit there? And to accomplish what would be the other question? To threaten, or to show that it is possible on the part of their Navy to put one ship there? It is just one ship and when it crossed the international waters to park outside of NYC, then what? Would they dare risk alienating any allies of theirs that may get hit in the crossfire, as the UN is located in NYC and any attack that is launched against that city takes a risk of hitting one of them. Make no mistake, the Iranians are bluffing, and as long as the world reacts, then they have ultimately achieved what they are wanting.

While they do possess allies, the question must be asked, what they are up to, as it seems that when ever one of them is wanting to do something, the others start to bang the proverbial drums and pots to draw the worlds attention away, so the question must be asked what is N. Korea and Venezuela really up to.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Anything launched would be shot down,, the only way to attack meaningfully would be to conceal a nuclear weapon aboard a freighter or a tanker.

You would still have the small problem of acquiring a nuclear device or two....

Sounds like a Clancy novel.

Cosmic..

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Where have I heard this postulating before...?

Oh that's right, last year!

Published: Sept. 28, 2011 at 7:32 AM

TEHRAN, Sept. 28 (UPI) -- An Iranian naval official said the country's navy plans to deploy ships in the Atlantic Ocean near U.S. maritime borders.

"Just like the global hegemony that is present near our marine borders, we … also plan to establish a strong presence near U.S. marine borders," the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency quoted Rear Adm. Habibollah Sayyari as saying Tuesday.

www.upi.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
most likely a covert modified shipping or fishing vessel with missles built. May have paper works as another country's vessel.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
If ships are taxis they are already there. I'm sure the admiral has a condominium that overlooks Central Park.

Seriously, with future tech, science has just revealed cloaking to the public. Nobody says how big the boat has to be. Knowing the holographic technology to physically teleport an object, why not a ship?

Maybe they will unleash ten million explosive rubber duckies as a Trojan into the east coast. Pay some Swedish artist to take the blame for it.

Another poster said they would need to be invited. That is a possibility. But considering war tactics, why would an admiral ever admit to that power outright, except as a diversion? Remember, this is what the media wants you to read. I'd be more concerned about Baja California than New York at the moment.

No, all they need is a cargo ship. You are looking for military vessels, they won't use them.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just about any country with boats could put some (or all) of them three miles offshore. Probably with modern technology, the Coast Guard would know it and know where they are, but, yes, just about anyone can post boats 3 miles off the US coast.

On the other hand, there's no way that even an enormous armada of boats, each loaded with missiles, could effectively cripple the US so badly that it couldn't retaliate and turn the home country of those boats into a smoking ruin.

Anyone with enough smarts to send a boat across the ocean knows this.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
how would we know what Iran has? could very well have something we've never seen. I cant believe how many blindly accept what the news and internet tells them.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by earthdude

that probably means that what they are talking about is not ships, but covert operators located within 3 miles of an American target.

so much for the idea that the Iranians haven't waged war against a nonmuslim nation.
edit on 28-4-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

Every major nation has covert operations in each others borders. We all threaten. We all know this is a part of avoiding war. We all want to avoid war in pursuit of our objective. Those who want war have a different objective than the masses. Democracy rules. and in mine, we can take out any navy on the planet from orbit. Whole fleets are useless against modern technology. The battleships and submarines do look impressive though.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
As someone who lives in New York City, this just makes me giggle.

Oh yeah, I'm quaking in my boots.

Seriously, the U.S. Navy is the most powerful in the history of the world. It's strength really overwhelms all other world navys combined, even if you include those of our allies. Honestly, I think it's too big and powerful, so big it's largely a waste of money. We could have a navy half as big and still be far and away the most powerful in the world.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

And how would you know this? Have you been to and had top secret clearance to inspect every nation on earth? Sounds like nationalized propaganda to me? Reality is coming...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Oh? What, pray tell, is the distance from Caracas to NYC? You do know that Iran and Venezuela have a "special relationship" if not an outright alliance.

And why on earth would Venezuela do that?

What would the response be from the US?

Contrary to what you may believe they don't have a death wish.

And whilst many countries may not like the US and more specifically it's government, very few are as obsessed with it as you may think and are far more pre-occupied with trying to keep their own house in order.

Political posturing is no crime.

Iran poses no military threat whatsoever to the US.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
as a veteran of the US Navy (USS Jouett CG-29 - RIP), i can guarantee you that iran could not deploy war ships 3 miles off the coast of NY.

15 miles out is international waters, so any closer and they would be trespassing on our property so to speak.
our navy is THE most capable on the planet and there are battle groups everywhere connecting the dots to other battle groups.

there is no way iran could park their ships here unless they were invited. period.
edit on 4/28/2012 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

thank you, I was going to ask about the international waters range. they would be tracked all the way from thier own shore, no ?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

they don't plan to pose a threat.

they want to be beaten up.

that's their strategy to win the war...be beaten up by a bully.

do you know anything about the Persians?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Iran couldn't get a ski boat 3 miles out of port without the U.S. knowing about it. OK, it is possible that they could in peace time, but all the way to the U.S. coast? And what will they do when they get here? Hit us with a cruise missile? What would that accomplish.....the end of Iran. In the event of a war between the U.S. and Iran they would not get a boat into open waters, of that I am certain. Their navy just doesn't have the operational freedom in their constricted area to even embark from their coastal region, even a diesal sub, without a combat deployed U.S. navy knowing about it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

That Iranian Admirals statement must have alot of people in the USN....Laughing thier Asses Off! LOL! YEAH! We can get to within 3 miles of New York. HA! I can't even get a few miles in a boat off Cape Ann to an off shore Rock Formation called SALVAGES...named because of the amout of ships that ran into the rocks and sank in about 50 to 60 ft of water...without the Coast Guard making sure we have a DIVE FLAG HOISTED UP when we dive there for pictures and LOBSTERS!...YUM!

Seriously....this Admirals statement is now officially...THE STUPIDEST THING SAID BY THE IRANIANS!

Every single Iranian ship, sub, boat, RUBBER DUCKIE...is tracked by the USN as well as Satellites. We would know if an Iranian Sub Commander was flushing an internal toilet before anyone else on the ship smelled the after effect!

My GOD...this is STUPID! Split Infinity

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

where exactly am I talking about sending ships to Iranian waters? put the pipe down.
I love Iran and its people. both of our governments should be slapped.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The silliest thing about this statement is that they would only need to be about 15 miles away to bombard. Why come closer?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by zooplancton
as a veteran of the US Navy (USS Jouett CG-29 - RIP), i can guarantee you that iran could not deploy war ships 3 miles off the coast of NY.

15 miles out is international waters, so any closer and they would be trespassing on our property so to speak.
our navy is THE most capable on the planet and there are battle groups everywhere connecting the dots to other battle groups.

there is no way iran could park their ships here unless they were invited. period.
edit on 4/28/2012 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)
As another navy veteran, I must say that you are short sighted. They don't need to use a naval vessel, or even a warship at all. Give me $2,000,000,000; 2-3 Liberian tramp freighters and 1 contact high up in either the North Korean, Chinese, or Russian governments and I could destroy the US pretty easily. If any of those nations really wanted to take us down, they could have done so long ago. That is how I know that the whole thing is like 1984(the book), where no one country actually wants to "win" they want eternal strife for their own ends.

wow, you really bring some fuzzy logic into play. sure anything is possible. I suppose a giant bomb filled twinky would work as well.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by Freeborn

they don't plan to pose a threat.

they want to be beaten up.

that's their strategy to win the war...be beaten up by a bully.

do you know anything about the Persians?

Actually...I do. Where I live there is a very nice Breakfast/Lunch restaurant that is run by an Iranian Family that was lucky to get to the U.S. about 12 years ago. When 9/11 occured...they were one of the first in town to place a Giant U.S. Flag across the whole side of their building. I go there to eat.

I have spoken to the owners...a Man in his late 50's as well as his wife of about the same age and three children who are young...the oldest is only 17. They told me that it was their dream to come to the U.S. and they wanted everyone to know how horrified and angry they were about 9/11.

They are still in business and it is booming as they are expanding and they have become very Americanized. I talk to them about current events and they said they still have family in Iran and the people want real Democracy very badly. They also said that in Iran...if you go against the Ruling Religious Leadership...you will first be beaten...if you persist...you disapear.

People are people...it is those who seek power and riches that come to be leaders and they hate what is going on in their former country. Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join