It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOCA is Now in Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I saw this today. Basically in the UK you can face 10 years in prison and an Unspecified fine for downloading music. The new SOCA organisation in the UK is off the chain.

arstechnica.com...

Scary stuff

If anyone can link to this please do so.
Moderators if this is in the wrong spot please move.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I can't believe that the Serious Organised Crime Agency are spending their time busting music download sites. Unless I'm really misunderstanding the word serious here.

From the soca web site

We work to put serious criminals behind bars, and use many other tactics to fight crime and keep you safe..

Oh thanks so much soca I can rest easy in my bed now that I know no ones downloading Rebecca Black songs without paying full price.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Copyright is a farce. If people would stop selling out we might be able to educate and gain a mass awareness of the underlying principles of what it is they're copyrighting. If you ain't understand finite sets or data arrangement it can be daunting but it's far from incomprehensible.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I can't believe that the Serious Organised Crime Agency are spending their time busting music download sites. Unless I'm really misunderstanding the word serious here.

From the soca web site

We work to put serious criminals behind bars, and use many other tactics to fight crime and keep you safe..

Oh thanks so much soca I can rest easy in my bed now that I know no ones downloading Rebecca Black songs without paying full price.

Hate to break it to you but SOCA stands for serious AND organised crime. Illegal music download networks constitutes organised crime (whether you agree it should be a crime or not).

The link also states that a lot of the music available for illegal download on the site had come from hacking, whereby songs were available for download before they had even been released. I know first hand how this affects artists and I say good riddance to it.
edit on 1-5-2012 by Faulks because: (no reason given)

join