It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should there be laws pertaining to public cellphone use?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I was reading this article about the woman who was arrested for using her cellphone. Let's be honest here - how often have you been inconvenienced by a cellphone user in a confined space like a bus or subway or standing in line at the grocery store or during a movie...? The whole thing is so out of control people are so afraid of being alone that they can't be caught in an activity that may be boring for more than ten minutes without reaching for the cellphone.

And what is acceptable volume to speak to others on your cellphone - should it be acceptable that you can screech anywhere because the recipient of your call can't hear you? Does everybody have to be forced to listen to your inane copnversations, or listen to you cuss in public?

Where should society (the law) draw the line?

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Instantaneous public execution for those caught using cell phones in movie theaters. "Yo..... yeah I'm at tha movies..... yeah, dat new Jet Li joint... word.... yeah, gotta go see my baby momma....." Dialogue at a recent movie theater, only to be cut short by many shhh's. Aggghhhh!!!!! Maybe electrified seating?

[edit on 9/28/2004 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
the law is one thing, how its enforced is another. I think we can self manage this one as a population. on my commuter train, if someone is speaking too loudly, someone will get up and ask them to quit down, that usually stops it. no need for a law......the problem in the case you mention is she resisted the officer....common sense says when a COP asks you to quiet down, giving him/her a hard time is a bad idea.....

join