It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At 92, a Bandit to Hollywood but a Hero to Soldiers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I don't believe for a minute Mr. Strachman actions will cause any new legislation but Hollywood will name Mr. Strachman anyway as these bills are being drawn up long before Mr. Strachman. Proof? Look what Obama is doing to our Internet. Anti life laws are/have been planned, you know "New World Order"! If you don't understand wait and watch in a few years you will understand but then it will be too late! IMHO! Thank you for stopping by and posting your thoughts.
edit on 4/29/2012 by IceHappy because: typo fix lol again

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Flint2011

Almost missed you, Star and a big thank you for supporting our troops. I know you have made a difference in many lives as I know the receiver will have passed those on. It was the service and my team that taught me sharing so I know your gift bounced from soldier to soldier and nobody likes to view TV shows and movies by themselves! Well done! Thank you! BTW I have outstanding friends but the best were the ones I trusted my life with!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Umm... Why you guys get all so hyped up about a guy who's sending copied DVD's to frontlines of your dollar-wars?
Please explain me, what is so wonderful about it?
The fact that he's doing it illegally, which supposedly makes him some sort of "bootleg vigilante" ? So...? Who gives a dime whether he's buying original dvds or copy them on home pc?

Or is the fact that US troops need some relax from TERRORISING local population? And who will give them better relax if not Hollywood, factory of lies about US world agenda?

Please, enlighten me, what is so cool about this pathetic story?
Guy is clearly senile if he doesn't see a difference between fighting in IIWW and enforcing corporational deal in XXI century.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Don't we invade countries to defend and promote the American way of life? Is intellectual property theft an American value? As evidenced by comments on that article, people in the entertainment business aren't too happy about it.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jb1958
What I find disgusting is, why did the NYT give the man's name and approx where he lived?

I'm sure they didn't just go ahead and did it. They definitely asked him. If he was that concerned about privacy he wouldn't have agreed in the interview in the first place.

Originally posted by stainlesssteelrat
Or is the fact that US troops need some relax from TERRORISING local population? And who will give them better relax if not Hollywood, factory of lies about US world agenda?

Yeah...I don't agree with the war either, but I know that the people fighting over there aren't all Animal Mothers and Colonel Kurtzes. They're decent people who got into the military to make some money or pay for college or maybe they genuinely believe in America. Whatever it is, the bulk of them are good people serving in a stressful situation they didn't create and have no control over. If someone hits your hand with a hammer, do you blame the hammer or the person holding it? So, let them watch "The Hangover" now, because some of them are going to take the war home with them for a long time.

I normally don't like piracy. The only voice the American consumer has is money. If you like a musician or a movie or a TV show, you've got to pay for it, so that someone takes note that someone out there likes it. Then they'll make more of it, give it a bigger budget for the next season or make more things like it. This isn't true so much with massive blockbusters and mainstream hits, but with the quieter stuff it definitely is. This you can't argue with. And I agree with everyone who says the movie studios should be supplying screeners to the troops. And it's nice his output is slowing down as people are coming home. Even though Hy seems like a guy who wouldn't want or accept anything, I'm sure more than a few soldiers will do him a good turn.

Not only is this guy selfless with his time and putting himself on the line, but he sold the stocks he had to pay for all the postage.

ETA: There's a short audio clip on the article. I love this guy's voice.
edit on 4/29/2012 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/29/2012 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/29/2012 by SaulGoodman because: Screwed up the fella's name.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stainlesssteelrat

Your post suggest that you have never served anything but yourself otherwise the answer to your questions would have been self evident. Those who served their country or better put those who served under fire understands what little a GI has on the front lines to escape, for a moment, their harsh realities! This is why so many soldiers come home with drug problems. Mr. Strachman has provided another form of escape and relaxation for these brave soldiers. If you don't understand how "wonderful" Mr. Strachmans gift was then its clear you have not been there or been through what the soldier has. Only one point of many I will outline here is the conflict in a young persons mind over morality of their actions as many were taught Thou Shall Not Kill! Not every soldier is Rambo and taking a life is a life changing experience and not for the good of the individual!

Two illegal wars in which there are killing on both sides and I am not talking about "the enemy" but of the innocent locals that are caught with their children in the cross fire. Really(???) your only concerns are about Hollywood getting richer or some silly tort law? Had you read this thread you would have seen my graphic sign that shows coping is not thief but piracy. I will say this again the soldiers in war are not customers so Hollywood has not lost any real sales. Hmmm borrowed copies vs mass killings. Its not just our soldiers but also the soldiers family that will pay for these illegal wars. The soldier will suffer with PTSD at the minimum whilst many are mediVaced or body bagged home, all done so that you can fill up your car cheaply and go to work to pay your taxes that support this reality.

You stated, "Or is the fact that US troops need some relax from TERRORISING local population?" I guess you do not understand that the service instills a sort of racism so that the young can kill a "????" (insert a derogatory slang word for the enemy) rather than killing a human being. Had you served this would be self evident after a few years when you start the healing process. If you work, pay taxes and vote what do you think you are supporting? If you are not out in anti war protest marches or some other similar actions then you are complacent and by doing nothing condoning this situation. I am saying this as you have no location marked on your avatar and guessing you are an American or a NATO country member.

There are many movies that are not political or story line support the new world. Mr. Strachman shipments gives our troops who are lucky enough to watch these films / TV programs not only much needed escapism but a glimpse of home. One has to live outside their country to appreciate the latter. Repeating myself again, I must remind you that Hollywood along with many corporation are making a huge profit from these illegal wars without giving much back to our heroes whom without could not realize these profits.

Mr. Strachman has been doing what Hollywood should have been doing and had they would have received tax deductions and of course good will from their customers for their patriot contribution. Remember sampling is considered "Good Business"!

I think it is sad that you are calling someone you do not know and IMHO clearly is the opposite, senile. Again because you have not read this thread I must repeat myself Mr. Strachman has gone through a lot of trouble, expense and most of all his precious time to try and make a difference in our soldiers day to day existence. You clearly have no respect for those who given America and Europe so much and continue to do so in his golden years.

I am sorry for how terrible this is written I am on strong Morphine tablets as a result of my service and after not sleeping last night trying to support this thread, writing is becoming more challenging....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

Oh i do count myself lucky to have him home. He was there driving the Bushmaster.

By the way if anyone ever happens to get a ride in one. strap yourself in tight, hang on and say your pryers to your god or gods
because they drive them like they stole them. And girls dont wear a skirt, its a long way up and the fellas have to hoist you up

He now works with helicopters and if i get the opportunity to be taken up, ill be declining.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

I still have in my records my drivers lic for an M113a1 armoured personnel carrier with tracks and for the roof rack a Vulcan 20 mm High Explosive Gatling gun!

Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC)

The Vulcan is a Gatling gun

Variants of the M113 armored personnel carrier

I only drove this to qualify on many NATO weapons for my over all qualifications. It was a gas but glad that it was only a qualification.

Glad your partner came home and is gainfully employed in these troubled times where some many Americans are out of work! Again thank you for stopping by this thread.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Yeah its sad they have no work, and i just don't understand how the American Defence force works, i know here in Australia most defence certificates you gain are also usable in the civilian trade.

And even disabled soldiers can still find work in the Australian Defence Force, just because their disabled it doesn't mean their useless, their knowledge and skills are valuable.

and they are the coolest links ever, ill make sure my hubby has a sticky at them when he gets home, he loves this stuff.

Through the mouths of babes, my 2 girls were out playing in the yard when the neighbour asked them where their daddy was, the reply was shocking and funny, my eldest replied with her younger sister at her side with hands on hips, "he's at work blowing s--t up"

edit on 29/4/12 by Whateva69 because: crazy kids lol

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

First of all, Hollywood and it's profits is not my concern. Quite opposite. Current laws protecting intellectual properties are obsolete hence I threat them more like a guidelines

My point is that you admit that US is involved into illegal conflicts (war is when TWO sides are fighting, ya know) yet you talking about supporting the troops.

Kinda dissonance, dont you think?

Soldier fighting in illegal conflict like Afghanistan is a war criminal and should be charged as one. We have a free will and right to exercise it within frame of the law.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a Case Pictured scenario

What do you mean I have a Bootleg Copy!!!

Yeah i Have a lot of Copes of These Movies in Question !

I have the Originals BackHome My wife Bought them and she doesn't know how to make Copies ! ( for Personal Use ) so she can send them here !! so I heard this Guy was Helping out The Solders Oversees making Copies For Soldiers so Their Wives wont have to ... from Our Original Copy

We Do have the Right to Copy Our Bought Commercial Copy for Personal Use to Backup Right!!

I know My wife Would be Pretty pissed of ((( If I .......EVER....... Get Home ..Alive.. )))
if I Ruined or Lost The Original Copy of ...... Hangover 2 From Sand or a Ambush on my Base..

when I get Home ALIVE

I would Have to Buy Another Copy just because I would Never hear the End of it..
from her thank goodness Ive seen the First Hangover but....

so This Guy Big HY thank goodness knows How !! !!
yeah he 90 something what the hell are they going to to do to him

PS.. The Iraqi Soldiers that are On Our Team Liked Hangover 2 an they want to see the First Hang Over !
So Im asking My Wife to Tell MR BIG HY to Send a Backup Copy Here So I can watch it Again
One Iraqi Buddy of Mine Said America Is Crazy and I Like It..
edit on 29-4-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

A Soldiers Tale to Hollywood ...

edit on 29-4-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Nope not at all as our Troops are the second victim of these illegal conflicts. For a conf;ict to be classified a war Congress must approve it! Hence illegal war also no WMD or any remote was found Iraq was unjustified. Since I was in the air over Canada on 911 I have spent much time researching and am convinced it was an inside job so Afghanistan IMHO was invaded for no reason but profits.

I don't give a rats my friend what you believe in! Fact is as I out lined in other posts in this thread Hollywood is making tons of money many ways and as I have posted its good business to Sample which is also tax deductible. I now realize you don not understand the concept of giving back!

Yes I have difficulties with the young serving these days as I spent 6 years in "The Viet Nam Vets Against the War" 1 year for each year served! I enter with my unit many protest marches for Vets rights and benefits promise but reneged on or hassles to receive! My generation was the last draft based on lottery - the only one that I have won (But lost as winning)! I elected to join rather than be a draftee! My generation did not have much info how unhonourable our Leaders ARE. During those 6 years I was very outspoke publicly and considering I have never been arrested and moved out of America over 27 years ago find myself on the no fly list! (Plane ticket featuring "SSSS" and my landing stamp on 911 in Canada passport page and Vets day protest photos are on ATS if you are interested! So yes I am upset with the young for serving as they we in The VN Vets Against the War spent money the and risked freedom speaking out against war. Nobody was there for us as the education we receive suggested we owed our country! Now with even greater sadness there is an "Iraq Vets Against the War". Nevertheless a brother or sister under fire I WILL NOT TURN MY BACK ON like America did for me and my equals! Sorry this was not self evident to you! Had you served you would have understood rather than show your selfishness attitude of not being able to understand!

Yep I am an outlaw. I choose what laws I obey or not - many people are the same. Next time you drive do the speed limit and watch your doors being blown off by the passers, yep all law breakers! Ever have a speeding ticket? Law breakers so what is your point most people who are human break laws! I don't call people names for their pet broken laws but here I am labeled Birther, Truther and Pirate. So much for the freedom of speech!

Don't confuse the young who educated in America with real war criminals like GW Bush and Tony Blair and their replacements. The leaders are the war criminals as the young worst crime is being young and idealistic with a belief in their nation! My drill sarge told a Jesus Freak (what they were called in those days not my label!), that Jesus said "To give to Caesar what is Caesar's" You are Caesar and he chooses to send you to war!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Because if this were anybody else the RIAA bullies would go after them. In short, he's pirating a bunch of movies and getting away with. At least so far.

Anybody else they'd just go after and do what they can to bully them into submission.

A guy like this is not so easy to, because he could be a rallying figure and unite a lot of people against RIA and their crap.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IceHappy
Yep I am an outlaw. I choose what laws I obey or not - many people are the same. Next time you drive do the speed limit and watch your doors being blown off by the passers, yep all law breakers! Ever have a speeding ticket? Law breakers so what is your point most people who are human break laws! I don't call people names for their pet broken laws but here I am labeled Birther, Truther and Pirate. So much for the freedom of speech!

Don't confuse the young who educated in America with real war criminals like GW Bush and Tony Blair and their replacements. The leaders are the war criminals as the young worst crime is being young and idealistic with a belief in their nation! My drill sarge told a Jesus Freak (what they were called in those days not my label!), that Jesus said "To give to Caesar what is Caesar's" You are Caesar and he chooses to send you to war!

Right. But last time I checked serving in US military is 100% voluntary, unlike in your times. So first, you have to come to Cesar by yourself, take his money, undergo his very specific training (mostly based on being efficient in activities like... killing), take some more money, get other benefits (education, housing) and so on. So when he says "go", you go, because that was part of agreement from very beginning.

So really, if you want to convince me that young US troops are in Afghanistan, just because they are idealistic and believe in their nation, your effort is futile, thats just simply not the whole truth. Of course its fueled by hatred to the "enemy" which comes after seeing your buddies with legs ripped off, and so on.
But who's the enemy, called often "insurgents"?
People who are on their own soil, that are unhappy because of presence of armed forces, for no apparent reason, telling them what and when to do? Would you blame them?

Young americans (especially soldiers) are known in the world not by their compassion, but by lack of it and their ever-growing ignorance. Thats why they will NEVER bite a hand which is feeding them (generously, remember)

Youre defending a lost cause, military (not just US) became enforcers of corporational interests, with no compassion or respect for civilians. Because they see them as potential enemy, so just in case they WILL aim their weapons at them. Again, for no reason, just from their paranoia.

Violence will cause violence, same as Vietnam, its not war to be won.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join