It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would survivng even be worth it, I.E. - what did you just survive into?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

I think if it was a super fast SHTF scenario, the nuke workers would run for it and the plant operators wouldn't have time to shutdown properly

If it was a gradual one like slow food loss, I think there would be enough time to shut them down and contain most but not all of them. Of course the fallout that would inevitably occur would be insane, just a full blown SHTF scenario would possibly make it so no humans could get through an event that bad.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I will survive till I cant survive any longer. The last few minutes of "The Mist" would be my luck

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I only read the OP so far but I have thought of this seriously several times. I look at all religions, doctrines, oral traditions etc. to try and figure out what the heck is going on. On one hand, I want to avoid the whole NWO deal but where I'm conflicted at is: that is the easy way out and NOT helping others. I know we are at the end of the NWO plan. I have asked God to allow me to stay through the very end no matter how painful it becomes. I have asked this because there will be so many people that need help. Think of how many have never heard of what these evil powers are doing to us. These are not just "stupid people" they are our brothers and sisters who for whatever reason (wrapped up in work, kids, life) have never taken the time to ponder the things that we do. I was once one of those people. I will protect them with my life even if it means my death. Just because they were so caught up in the trap that they remained blind when I was allowed to see, does not mean that I feel the duty to just let them die. I consider them MY reponsibility because God DID allow me to see (and all of us on here to see). Do not condemn others, help them no matter what, they will need us, it's what we are here for. This is what my soul tells me. I'm no fan of pain but I will endure it to help others in the end. The "rapture" is silly and selfish to me. What will become of God's children if they are left to fend for themselves? They will be tourtured, get the chip and tortured futher, they will be trapped with no way out for 1,000 years if what the bible says is true. F that! I'm staying to help as many as possible. No matter the pain, no matter the torture....I'm here to the end.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearMitochondria

I think if it was a super fast SHTF scenario, the nuke workers would run for it and the plant operators wouldn't have time to shutdown properly

If it was a gradual one like slow food loss, I think there would be enough time to shut them down and contain most but not all of them. Of course the fallout that would inevitably occur would be insane, just a full blown SHTF scenario would possibly make it so no humans could get through an event that bad.

Thanks for the input, since you have some knowledge of these plants how do they keep those fuel rods cooled if there aren't any people around? How do they just shut those things down?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903

Originally posted by NuclearMitochondria

Thanks for the input, since you have some knowledge of these plants how do they keep those fuel rods cooled if there aren't any people around? How do they just shut those things down?

They don't

From what I've gathered, they move the active rods in the reactor to a spent nuclear fuel pool, where they constantly pump water over it to keep it cool and prevent radiation from coming out.
If humans were to 'abandon ship', the water would eventually boil off and the fuel rods would potentially go critical... which means they start emitting huge amounts of radioactivity in neutrons (but can't actually explode in a nuclear explosion as they are spent fuel rods).

I'm not sure how much dangerous an active fuel rod is compared to a spent fuel rod. From the site at this link, it says:

www.scientificamerican.com...

• Reactor No. 1: 50 tons of nuclear fuel
• Reactor No. 2: 81 tons
• Reactor No. 3: 88 tons
• Reactor No. 4: 135 tons
• Reactor No. 5: 142 tons
• Reactor No. 6: 151 tons
• Also, a separate ground-level fuel pool contains 1,097 tons of fuel; and some 70 tons of nuclear materials are kept on the grounds in dry storage.

The reactor cores themselves contain less than 100 tons of fuel, Resnikoff noted.

As a previous poster said, I'd treat it like a game (though he didn't use the word game) and see how long I can survive.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearMitochondria

According to this site there are 436 nuclear reactors worldwide. If there was an event that caused people to run for the hills and their bunkers I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be long before the earth was uninhabitable.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Found this article and thought it covered some of the basics of what is being discussed here.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I have no real idea of what I would do in the vent of everything collapsing.

Understanding that the idea of a thing is not the same thing as the thing it is the idea of, most scenarios I can come up with probably will only be a shadow of what might really occur.

I do not relish the idea of shooting looters and other bad folk, yet it may well become a necessary evil.That would be a sad day for us all. But on the other hand, some snitheads would definitely be out of the picture forever.

Eventually stores of food will run out. Reloading your own ammo is only good as long as the powder store holds out, or if you use a bow/crossbow, once the arrows are done... they are done.

And then, how about when some Ahole comes along that "wants to organize everything" and he has a security force? I can only see another fire fight coming. You know they are nothing but rapists and robbers. It would be more of the same old bull crap on a different day.

If the "SHTF". I am not "taking orders" from anyone. It is the "Order Givers" that have screwed everything up, not us regular people. I won't let them past me or perhaps on that day I will die anyway, and be spared the further indignities of the chimps with weapons that are mere conquerors and slavers.

I just simply do not want it to come to that, or any degree of what our imaginations keep telling us is going to happen, fanned by the Alex Joneses and errant "politicians" of the current insane world we live in.

I' rather wake up some where else.

We can live in peace, and survive, with out all the snit assed manipulators, easily.

Just pray it won't be so.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Like the author of that article, I'm no nuclear physicist. But I am concerned and continue to study various nuclear accidents and computer simulations to figure out wtf could go wrong and what would be my best response.

A couple of things that article doesn't mention that are worth considering:

There are around 430 nuclear power plants world wide. However, most of them are NOT built like the Fukashima reactor, using MOX fuel. The design of that particular facility is considered long obsolete, and hasn't been used for new plants since the 1960s anywhere.

The vast majority of plants worldwide use a Light Water Reactor. Several features of the Light water reactor make it safer in the event of failure. Addiitonally, the fuel rods don't contain plutonium, which is where much of the nastiness of the MOX fuel comes from. In fact there are no civilian power plants using MOX fuel in the USA or Canada from what I read.

The US plants built after 1980 have some kind of gravity-fed cooling pond design, so that in the event of pump failures (like EMP) the pool would eventually flood with the waters of the adjacent lake or stream. While this would warm the natural body of water, and expose it to very low level radiation, it would also mean a lot lets contamination over all. I believe the redesign was was based on a model of terrorists seizing a nuclear generator and refusing to allow it to be serviced, in an attempt to blackmail the government. So it was designed to avoid purposive mismanagement, and not just a precipitous loss of computer controls....

Most plants in the US have a series of ponds and re-balance the distribution of the hottest rods each month, so that not all of the most dangerous rods are stored together.

While I'm not thrilled at having ANY nukes in my region of the country, I feel like the odds of a truly catastrophic failure are reduced, and slightly less likely to lead to an outright Chernobyl.

Still, after SHTF, someone will have to organize a team to go neutralize all the glowing reactors.....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I am actually biting another question brought up by this thread, it has to do with all the Nuclear plants, and other such buildings that if not maintained would go critical.

Now this is for you ET fans and believers, even religious people too.

Humans have pretty much created a world in which we NEED to be here in order for the world to stay Clean, Safe, and not a baron wasteland. Not for the earth, since the earth is fully capable of cleaning itself, but now it's the other species on this planet that rely on us to set things right.

If we were to dissapear tomorrow, the earth would turn sour, some would say the earth already is and it's because of us, even on our bad day though, we are only a small fraction of what is happening today earthwise, that's part os earth -sun cycle ( google it ).

What I am posing here, is that the human race almost has to be here to maintain what we have placed or everything else who has a purpose to be here on the planet will have that purpose endangered.

What if in the eye's of whomever ( ETs, God, Gremlins ) we were too big to fail now?

Yes the dinosaurs were big an in lifespan terms dominated as the kings. But never developed societies, buildings, technology, thing's we'd consider to be positive rewards deemed from evolving ( like playing a game a leveling up ) the dinos had nothing to show for it, but we've been here a fraction of them and have developed so much more, and this goes for all other species as well.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
no it would not be worth it, all of the people who crawled out of their spider holes just to say "i told you so " would be daed in a year

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join