It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare 2.1 Richter Earthquake in Finland!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
What do you think? This is pretty big for Finland. We sure dont have quakes often!

iltalehti.fi

Im gonna translate it properly cause google translate sucks
edit on 28-4-2012 by RhinestoneCowboy because: (no reason given)

Last night The earthquake frightened several residents of Kotka, Finland.

South-eastern Finnish Emergency Response Centre received about 30 phonecalls after midnight.

- People had heard the explosion sounds. We still do not know where the voices came from, ERC says.

Kotka police patrols were dispatched to the spot to investigate the explosion source.

- Alarms were particularly in the Karhula direction. The patrols were trying to find man-made explosion from the place, but nothing was found, says Jarmo Rahkola from Kymenlaakso Police Department.

Findings of Institute of Seismology found out quarter past midnight an earthquake which had a magnitude 2.1 on the Richter scale.

Several locals in the quake area sent text messages the the editorial office of Iltalehti.

People told that the vibration was so strong that houses shook and pictures fell from walls.

- Kotka area earthquake awakened the are at was felt over a wide area. The windows rattled houses and shook structures.

- "In Karhula district houses shook and windows rattled. We were wondering what that was a bang, one writer said."

Such earthquakes are rare in Finland.

- "Such thing For people in Finland to feel the earthquake, is very rare. Then the magnitude will be about two, little more than that." Said director of the Institute of Seismology Pekka Heikkinen on last spring when ground was shaking.

Heikkinen evaluated at the time that more than two-magnitude earthquakes in Finland comes around a few times a year.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RhinestoneCowboy

Interesting........finally something happened here.....but earthquakes in Finland sure are rare....

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
They are rare and small, here is an overview from 1900 to present.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I am not so sure this is a earthquake as explosion sounds are surely not a normal event when it comes to small earthquakes. This reminds me more about the other stories around the world with people hearing bangs and have the ground shake.
A week ago we even had a similar event here in trondheim"middle of norway" with people waking up to a loud bang and had their house shake so much that pictures and plates fell down which was in no ways related to a earthquake.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
They are rare and small, here is an overview from 1900 to present.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Same here in Australia. Rare and small. Newcastle was the worst in my lifetime.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I've felt a 2.1 earthquake before and I never heard any kind of 'explosion' sound.

I'm sorry, but I don't care what officials say, something is happening beneath us.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Wow that seems really rare
2012 keeps getting interesting

I'm sure we will see more 'earthquakes' in places we wont expect!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Come on, 2.1 is NOTHING!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
"People had heard the explosion sounds. We still do not know where the voices came from"

curious what this means? is it a translation blip?

bluemirage5 it is if no or very few earthquakes are normal... its all relative

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
more and more small quakes being FELT and HEARD. this is strange!! usually quakes that small are undetectable but now it's happening weekly it seems.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch
"People had heard the explosion sounds. We still do not know where the voices came from"

curious what this means? is it a translation blip?

bluemirage5 it is if no or very few earthquakes are normal... its all relative

I guess the second sentence could be said better. "We still don`t know what caused the sounds"

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
2.1?? It's nothing! Homes start shaking around 4 or 5, I think. I experienced a 4, once. And it was really not much. Just a deep sound, really, nothing more.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
2.1?? It's nothing! Homes start shaking around 4 or 5, I think. I experienced a 4, once. And it was really not much. Just a deep sound, really, nothing more.

Its pretty weird then that houses were shaking and paintings fell of the walls.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Wow, another earthquake accompanied with the dreaded "BOOM!" sound.... how is it normal now that everywhere that experiences a quake must also deal with the simultaneous or preceding exploding sounds? I have said this time and again in the forum, but having experienced this myself last September in Colorado, and experiencing the shaking and being told then they were NOT series of quakes, per the USGS, I find it interesting now that everything that booms is a quake, and almost ALWAYS in the 1-2 mag range.

Something is happening, this is not normal, not for quakes so small, and no one can convince me otherwise. EIther the USGS and like agencies are not sure what is causing these booms and shaking or they do know and aren't telling us. Either way, it stinks. 1s & 2s should not be such explosive events, events where even seasoned quake experiencers think a bomb has gone off. To boot, most of these events seem to be happening in places that do not or rarely have quakes at all. Sorry, but just my personal opinion.
edit on 28-4-2012 by mountaingirl1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

yeah I read it all, it was the voices thing I was interested in, seemed odd to call the noises voices

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch

yeah I read it all, it was the voices thing I was interested in, seemed odd to call the noises voices

Google translate for the win

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Being in Phuket Thailand, I commented on the quakes I felt here - again they had a kind of boom or rolling thunder sound with an abrupt ending. Never though it unusual though until I read countless posts here saying small quakes don't go bang or make booms. Well, they do. I heard them and I've seen seismo webicorders showing them shortly after I felt & heard them. Its all settled down here (famous last words I know) now though, we've not felt anything for a week.

Additionally, wouldn't the sound be determined by the rock make up? Phuket is basically granite and limestone with alot of soil / sediment also tin mining used to be prolific here as well. Maybe theres similarities in the geology of other locations experiencing quake booms.

Either that os the wor of the worlds machine are waking up and digging out.
edit on 29/4/2012 by who-me? because: there is no "n" in them

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Earthquake near palomar Mtn?
sounds like what I experienced here in California

top topics

join