It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC's Ann Curry Rants: It's 'Fundamentally Unfair' Some Have More Money Than Others

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
NBC's Curry Rants: It's 'Fundamentally Unfair' Some Have More Money Than Others

Ann Curry says it's "Fundamentally Unfair" for some people to have access to more money that others !

Yes she said that on TV and the article has the video.

A bit ironic and hypocritical since she is worth $10 million and makes a $2 million a year salary from NBC.

In a supposed discussion of financial ethics with left-wing Harvard professor Michael Sandel on Wednesday's NBC Today, co-host Ann Curry decried people being able to pay more money to get through airport security faster: "...there's an inherent unfairness to it....it's about those with money having an easier life than those who don't. And there's something fundamentally unfair about that." [Listen to the audio]

Sandel was on to hawk his new book, "What Money Can't Buy," which Curry touted as, "a hard look at what's up for grabs in our society and asks, even if we can buy something, should we?" Sandel put different "moral dilemmas" to the morning show hosts, including the airport security line scenario. Curry went on to indict American society: "...not everyone has access to being able to get money, to work for money.... until America becomes fair in terms of how able people are – can be to make money, until the playing field is fair, it is unfair."

The first scenario Sandel outlined was the idea of paying grade school students cash to encourage them to read. After the hosts debated the issue, Sandel observed: "So there are two objections here. Matt's is about fairness, to those who won't be able to succeed. Ann's – Ann seems to worry about crowding out the real thing that we want to teach, the right attitude toward books....The love of reading for its own sake....Money might chase out that desire."

Ann Curry was born in Guam and has an estimated net worth of $10 million dollars. Ann Curry is a journalist and one of the anchors for the Today Show on NBC. She also hosts Dateline and is a substitute anchor for the NBC Nightly News. She is the recipient of three Emmy Awards. She lived in Japan for much of her childhood and then moved to Ashland, Oregon.

Ann Curry Salary

What is Ann Curry’s annual salary as co-host of The Today Show? $2 million

Ann Curry

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Then fork some over, Curry. You hypocritical (#!)

Just like a prog.

Always willing to give away other peoples money.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

There is a good point to what she says.

It is seriously unfair. Seriously, SERIOUSLY, unfair.

But anyone can see that. Unless they are willfully ignorant! But it's 2012, it should be apparent to everyone.

So instead of saying it's unfair, it's time people fix or at least think about fixing the problem. I'm sure that it will take decades if not hundreds of years to finish but, it will surely be worth it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Why stop there? Why not make sure everyone is born physically equal as well? Missing a leg? Let's hack someone else's off, and then make sure no one has more than one leg from now on. Not as many brain cells? Let's lobotomize the next Kurt Godel so that nobody can be the next Kurt Godel.

And on and on.

edit on 28-4-2012 by imherejusttoread because: syntax.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

There is a good point to what she says.

It is seriously unfair. Seriously, SERIOUSLY, unfair.

But anyone can see that. Unless they are willfully ignorant! But it's 2012, it should be apparent to everyone.

So instead of saying it's unfair, it's time people fix or at least think about fixing the problem. I'm sure that it will take decades if not hundreds of years to finish but, it will surely be worth it.

Well it's already been 10,000 years or so.

So what's another few hundred.

All the Marxisms should all be consolidated and perfected by then I would imagine.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
just a copy of above, nvr mind
edit on 28-4-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Ah you're one of them.

Tell me, when you're digging ditches for one cent a month for twenty years of your life. How exactly is it fair, in the literal sense of the word, if someone else either gets more for the same job elsewhere or in the same place?

Then if money is what you need to work for, and you work your ass off and that's all you can do...but still can't afford something, which could be comfort for you or education for your kids, after years of working, which takes someone else mere minutes to earn...then what is the point?

The question is, can you guys put yourselves aside to see this point? To see the reality millions if not billions of people face, just because they were born in one place and not the other? To not "denigrate" through name-calling(shouting marxist only serves to inform others of how outdated your thinking is), because you happened to be born somewhere and were told something?

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

Life isn't fair.

In trying to make life "fair" you end up making it unfair to a large part that were succeeding elsewhere.

Again, progs are great at evening the playing field to the lowest common denominator.

If not by force, then by coersion, or by guilt.

Artificial "fairness" is as phoney as any system devised, because people aren't all the same. Some have drive, talent, looks, height, abilities that makes them excel.

Let's punish those that can. For those who can't or won't.

edit on 28-4-2012 by beezzer because: sp

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
What evidence anywhere in the Universe demonstrates that there is this concept called "fair"? When two galaxies filled with countless trillions of civilizations spend billions of years colliding, eventually destroying all the life contained in both, is that fair? When a "big cat" hunts down a gazelle and sheds it into bite-sized pieces, is that fair? Is it fair a baby is born without certain organs only to die hours later? Fairness is an oddity that only exists is the realm of social PERCEPTION. There is no evidence this is required to be true. Ugly thought isn't it? But none the less true.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Ah you're one of them.

Tell me, when you're digging ditches for one cent a month for twenty years of your life. How exactly is it fair, in the literal sense of the word, if someone else either gets more for the same job elsewhere or in the same place?

Then if money is what you need to work for, and you work your ass off and that's all you can do...but still can't afford something, which could be comfort for you or education for your kids, after years of working, which takes someone else mere minutes to earn...then what is the point?

The question is, can you guys put yourselves aside to see this point? To see the reality millions if not billions of people face, just because they were born in one place and not the other? To not "denigrate" through name-calling(shouting marxist only serves to inform others of how outdated your thinking is), because you happened to be born somewhere and were told something?

Well, what exactly should I do about all that ?

Dig more ditches for one cent a month for twenty years ?

Sign me up !
(as long as there are no Marxist bosses running the company)

And by the way, Who determines where somebody is born ?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So because life is unfair that makes it alright? Or we should just ignore it and not talk about it?

Just being born in the USA puts me at an unfair position than someone born in the Sudan. Should I not admit to this because "life isn't fair"? Or if someone talks about it that makes them some sort of evil Marxist?

www.merriam-webster.com...

: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

God forbid I show empathy for people born in worse countries than me or born with an unfair advantage in life. I love how if you express any sort of care for people worse off than you, you're labeled some crazy liberal that wants to redistribute wealth.

edit on 28-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The only thing that really seems a little bit unfair is queu jumping, which is the basic point of the story.

People like that should know the line starts...

< over there.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by beezzer

So because life is unfair that makes it alright? Or we should just ignore it and just talk about it?

Just being born in the USA puts me at an unfair position than someone born in the Sudan. Should I not admit to this because "life isn't fair"? Or if someone talks about it that makes them some sort of evil Marxist?

Talk about it to your hearts content!

Just don't take away from those who achieve to give to those who don't.

If I had a kidney disease, and you didn't, is it "fair" to MAKE YOU GIVE ONE TO ME?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Life isn't fair.

Life surely is balanced. And balanced is fair. But through action of humans, lives can be made unfair. Why would I claim life to be fair if I had all the wealth I desire? Surely if I claimed it to be fair, then people could ask me why it's unfair!

In trying to make life "fair" you end up making it unfair to a large part that were succeeding elsewhere.

Exactly how? Where was the "large part" succeeding in? Keep it as objective and far away from abstract if you can, it sure helps when discussing a subject, because right now, you're not making much sense.

Again, progs are great at evening the playing field to the lowest common denominator.

Ow wait a minute, now it's making sense. You only have eye for what you can see.

If not by force, then by coersion, or by guilt.

This shows what you try to conceal.

Artificial "fairness" is as phoney as any system devised, because people aren't all the same. Some have drive, talent, looks, height, abilities that makes them excel.

Well, I can image that you think of "fair" in that sense. It's a misconception though. What you just stated has nothing to do with fairness. What you stated are the differences between people, which are beautiful in most cases. But since when did those things prevent people from being fair?

From the moment that people think...this is MY talent, MY looks, MY abilities...they lose sight. Did those talents come from you and only you? I don't think so. Did those looks, make you successful or is it the perception of a look that makes the look successful? And how many people does it take to have it perceived that way? Did you teach yourself those abilities? Did they magically appear to you?

This is what they call balance of life. Those who forget about it set themselves up for a fall.

Let's punish those that can. For those who can't or won't.

Read what you type:

"Let's punish those that can." That means you consider being fair a punishment.

"For those that can't." That means that being fair towards someone who can't be the same kind of fair, is a punishment.

"or won't." That is completely out of context and alludes to a bias.

So once again, can you remain as objective as possible and not so abstract, to yourself?!

If I had a kidney disease, and you didn't, is it "fair" to MAKE YOU GIVE ONE TO ME?

Well that is the issue here isn't it? If humans were fair towards each other there would be no "making you give a kidney". You are arguing COMPLETELY out of context.
edit on 28-4-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Ann Curry didn't say anything about forcing people give anyone anything. She said it was unfair, then you started going on some rant about progressives wanting to redistribute wealth.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Bull poop.

If you're going to rewrite what I say, why not just give you my ID and password!

Life is not fair, nor is it "balanced". For a social and/or political ideology to promote such a falacy means that in order to achieve your "balance" some have to lose in order for others to gain.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by beezzer

Ann Curry didn't say anything about forcing people give anyone anything. She said it was unfair, then you started going on some rant about progressives wanting to redistribute wealth.

Yup!
Though not a rant but an interpretation on what progs consider "fair".

How else would this pathetic ideology enact their "fairness" regime?
Simple.

By taking from those that have, and mete it out to those who don't.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
If Ann Curry had said it was fair and right that some people had all the money and
advantages and tough sh*t to those who don't, who'd be pissing all over themselves
then?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Bull poop.

If you're going to rewrite what I say, why not just give you my ID and password!

Life is not fair, nor is it "balanced". For a social and/or political ideology to promote such a falacy means that in order to achieve your "balance" some have to lose in order for others to gain.

Well there you have it. You do not understand the reality in which you live, rather, you've created your own reality and have enclosed yourself in it. So sad. When you say that life isn't balanced it says so much about your ignorance. If the tiniest particles from which we are composed, adhere to some kind of balance and rules, then surely, all those tiny bits that are in balance must lead to a balanced reality - one would think. Live as unbalanced as you want, life will even it out eventually. Nobody has ever escaped from this simple fact and nobody ever will.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Bull poop.

Well there you have it. You do not understand the reality in which you live, rather, you've created your own reality and have enclosed yourself in it. So sad. When you say that life isn't balanced it says so much about your ignorance. If the tiniest particles from which we are composed, adhere to some kind of balance and rules, then surely, all those tiny bits that are in balance must lead to a balanced reality - one would think. Live as unbalanced as you want, life will even it out eventually. Nobody has ever escaped from this simple fact and nobody ever will.

The balance you seek is called "entropy".

Good luck with that.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join