It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Information Gathering: Class B Motorhomes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
First of all, let's be sure we all know what a Class B is.

A Class B is:

Built on the same frame as a regular van, and also uses the same engine.

Will fit in any parking spot a van would, which is practically in any normal parking spot in America.

Is designed usually to host two people, sometimes four.

Sometimes have pop up roofs.

Are basically like a tiny studio apartment, having a bedroom, living room, and kitchen all in one space.

These tend to be harder to find for sale than a Class C (the standard, really long motor homes), and I am finding basic information about them hard to come by. It would be much easier to research VW Jettas versus Honda Civics, for example. I am interested in 1990's models specifically.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good resource where I can research different Class Bs so that I can better choose which make and model of vehicle I would be interested in?

This seems like the kind of thing someone would devote a blog to.

Feel free to post anything you might know about these, I'm a beginner and could use help.

edit on 4/28/12 by Ameilia because: pic

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Wow,your looking at almost a hundred thousand even for a slightly used one...from a winnebago point of view.I remember touring in a westfalia that was half as cheap and just as comfortable

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
reply to post by Ameilia

Wow,your looking at almost a hundred thousand even for a slightly used one...from a winnebago point of view.I remember touring in a westfalia that was half as cheap and just as comfortable

Check out the 1990's ones. There are 1990's ones as low as $3,000. With 100k+ miles. I am not too worried about mileage because I would of course have everything overhauled.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

" van based " motorhomes are produced on almost every chassis avaiable - with an even greater variety of build configuration , specification etc

maybee a better starting point would be - " what do you intend it to do for you " ?

you posted this thread in survival , not the cars section of BTS - so i will make an assumption or 2

and drirect you to look carefully at the pic you embedded - it has minimal ground clreance , and a long wheelbase - in short it will not make it far of any paved road

if you want a ` survival camper ` - look at convertions of pinzgauer , unimog or volvo c303 platforms - you loose a lot of room - but they will keep going where everything else stops

and if you are lucky - get you to a spot no one will look for you

if OTOH what i have just written doesnt apply - always start with the ` doner ` chassis - and buy based on your prefferences , reparability , durability , parts availiability etc

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

These tend to be harder to find for sale than a Class C (the standard, really long motor homes)

I live in a 32 foot 1988 Bounder motor home and its a class A motor home.

I got mine for only $5000 with only 24000 miles on it.
Only had to do a little work on the water system in it.

Next project it to put about 200 watts of solor panels and extra deep cycle batteries in so i will rarely have to run the generator. and to get a blue sky Internet satellite system so i can go on line from anyplace i deside to park.
blueskysatelliteinternet.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If your looking for something in the 90s , majority of the class Bs are from the big 3 auto makers , GM , ford , dodge . For me personally in those years GM had better engines , ford had better suspension and steering . I think it boils down to finding the one that suits your needs if your rebuilding it and finding a good deal ! Happy motoring !!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The VW westfalia is really your best choice here my friend. They are cheaper and extremely reliable. If I ever decide to live on the road again, that will be my vehicle of choice.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
@ the OP, try doing some research on "Vanning" sites. I am considering taking my 1992 Dodge RAM VAN 1500 semi-retired work panel van, and fully retiring it and turning it into a camper van. I have found a lot of great resources on these sites and forums.

The site I like the most is Vanning.com

Hope you find what you are looking for, but it might be an idea to consider getting a chassis,and build one to suit yourself, i guess it depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how willing you are to do the work.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
The VW westfalia is really your best choice here my friend. They are cheaper and extremely reliable. If I ever decide to live on the road again, that will be my vehicle of choice.

Gotta love the Wesfalia!! Go Syncro or go home.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

what do repairs cost if it does break down. yeah, better check that out.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

@OP I think I would roof rack or tail rack or utility trailer for storage of supplies and go with the extra room a conversion van would offer, Things get crowded quickly especially with multi-crews....and those things are cheap and easy to come by
edit on 30-4-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Clarification of Original Post

Okay guys, thanks for the input so far. I'll explain more fully my intentions.

First off, Husband and I want to tour the state. When I was a kid of course I wanted worldwide travel but then I grew up and now I think it would be cool to learn about the state I've always lived in. So my number one reason for wanting a van like this is to make it easier and more cost efficient for us to take in-state weekend road trips.

Secondly. I first got into survival prep right after Hurricane Katrina. What opened my eyes was my Aunt. Her, Husband, and 2 kids lived in an area of Houston that was told to evacuate. This is what happened to them: The 4 of them piled in a vehicle, were in it 30+ hours, all spent on the highway in non-moving traffic. They barely made it out of Houston. If Katrina had hit Houston like it did parts of Louisiana, they'd have gotten creamed. They had no water, no food, no sleep, no access to gas stations, no access to a hotel room.

I woke up because I realized had I lived where she did, I'd have been just as unprepared. A go bag would have made that 30 hours much more bearable. Thus I got into prepping. Of course it's bigger than a go bag, but that's how I got my start.

So my second reason, if I were ever in SHTF Regional situation, it'd be much easier and more comfortable to evacuate in a Class B than in a regular old car. Cooking on the road would be no problem. Bathroom break on the road would be no problem. Sleeping would be no problem. Finding a hotel wouldn't be necessary, we could just find a spot to park for the night, or 2 nights, however long it took.

So these two reasons are why I want a class B. I am specifically looking for an older 90's model due to the cost. Really, I can't afford to spend over 100k on a newer one as that is more than the cost of my house.

I don't care if it's not in perfect condition. I have a family member who rebuilds cars who will take care of it for me (with pay of course, not as a favor), I have a place to park it, and I can afford the additional monthly insurance cost.

I have been visiting camper websites and blogs trying to find a group who does this sort of thing as a hobby where I could learn more about it, but I'm still not having much luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

new topics

top topics

join