It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy Builds Real Star Trek Phaser

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

If you paid attention and read my posts, you would see I the like the name only and I'm not a Manhater. So, I'm not going to explain myself to you. But, you can go find the one thread that does explain the name.

edit on 28-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Jeah, I mean if it can pop a balloon it should be able to blow holes in the walls right?

Off course it is fake. It's a Blu Ray laser fiited in a plastic model of a faser.

OP CHANGE YOUR TITLE.

It is not a real faser obviously, they don't exist, and if they exist the militairy built them, not some Star Trek nerd in his shed.

Jeez I need a break from this place, nothing but annoyance and stupidity today.
edit on 28-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

I'm not a Manhater.

Yet your name is Manhater

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I would build a tricorder but everybody has one, we call them cellphones. They are even smaller and have more functions than the Star Trek ones.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Ok, I just wanted you to know we can be very sweet and will cuddle with you. I know I would.

And I apologize for not paying attention to every word you ever wrote here. Is there a way for me to suscribe to you?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Oh the only thing I can make is a mess. I'm dangerous with tools, it runs in the family apparently so it's not just me.

Next question, who do you want to get arrested?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Oh, you know the usual.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

I think you just add me as friend. Go near my name, open the box screen, then click add as friend. I think that's how you do it. Where you see (member), near my post.Should be the 2nd one down.
edit on 28-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I love it when sarcasm is lost on people.

I'll add you as a friend just for giving me a good laugh, you cutie pie.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
A little off topic but.

I really want to see a super close up highspeed film of a fly getting blasted by on of these high powered lasers. I know that may seem kinda twisted but i think it would be incredible to see.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
If you can make this out of a simple blue ray player then I wonder what the Goverment has. I bet they have developed lazer guns.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
A "phaser" is a phased energy beam. This is just a laser with increased wattage. Pretty cool though. I built a 6 watt red laser several years ago as a science fair project. Didnt burn much of anything. But it got me an A for the semester.
edit on 28-4-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Frankenchrist

so dammed fake - its a laser dressed up in a star-trek prop , with added soundeffects

What exactly makes it fake?

Lets see; its a REAL laser, on a startrek case... Why is it "fake"?

I see nothing fake here. Could be a REAL laser, on a barbie casing, it would still be real.

EDIT: oh and if its some glasses that do the same, I can have a cyclops mask also... and its still real.
edit on 28-4-2012 by Outofcontrol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Outofcontrol

Nothing fake except it is not a Phaser.

In other words completely fake.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Outofcontrol

What exactly makes it fake?

This is where knowledge is your friend.

Lets see; its a REAL laser, on a startrek case... Why is it "fake"?

Because there is a difference between a laser and a phaser. A phaser, as the name implies, operates based off of phase modulation of the emitted radiation. It is, essentially, an upgraded laser. A laser simply dumps a large amount of energy into the target. A phaser induces molecular shearing forces. Rather than trying to burn the piss out of something - it makes it tear itself apart.

So, in that sense, it is not a phaser. The construction of a phaser would require very advanced quantum dot silicon construction with very tight emission control. While it would be possible to build a prototype that operates in the manner described, you are looking at a several billion dollar project that will demonstrate the phenomena under laboratory analysis (as in using very sensitive test equipment and not producing much in the way of visible effects).

We'll probably see it come along, eventually, in the manufacturing industry - as a phaser offers a much more efficient way of cutting various materials with precision - but I wouldn't expect to see prototypes pursued for another 10-20 years (depending upon the economy and the direction the market takes manufacturing). Weaponized applications will likely be 30+ years off - and that will be reserved for naval point-defense applications as a replacement for Rolling-Frame Missiles and solid state laser arrays (which would, theoretically, replace both rolling frame and phalanx as the CIWS solution).

Now - in another sense - you have a high-intensity laser that requires quite a period of time to deal appreciable damage. In that regard - it doesn't even approach a "star trek" phaser in application (which could be said of a laser of sufficient power to, within a few milliseconds, apply enough power to cause appreciable damage to a target).

Don't get me wrong - it's a cool little project. But it's little more than an amped up laser pointer. Taking apart a laser projector will give you lasers that are closer to being practical for weapons.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This actually has some credence to it if you can pop popcorn with a green laser then why not a thin rubber balloon?
mask it up with a cool casing and you have an interesting popcorn popper....but you probably wouldnt be able to enjoy it seeing as it would take all day....lol

youtu.be...

sorry dont know how to embed

edit on 28-4-2012 by LemaEcho because: didnt know how to embed video sorry

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
NASA can't go further than the moon and this guy already got a phaser.....so,

......NOT A BUDGET PROBLEM AFTER ALL ?

See, our money is in the wrong hands all the time.

Nah......just kidding.
edit on 28-4-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I ordered and received my Arctic series Blue laser

it's awesome 1 watt, extremely powerful, it has lots of safety features though, thing sets paper on fire quickly

www.wickedlasers.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I can't wait to see a thread titled "Guy builds real Star Trek transporter" but hasn't been seen for a few weeks.

Make it so number 1

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Here's a video of a guy who rigged his door to open like on Star Trek...

And while I'm at it, here's the best Star Trek parody video ever...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join