It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad Cow Disease: The Silent Epidemic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

The recent discovery of a cow infected with mad cow disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) has, not surprisingly, flew under the radar.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

And that's exactly what was supposed to happen: A quick dismissal of the truth.

WHAT IS MAD COW, EXACTLY?

“Mad cow” is an infectious disease in the brain of cattle. Humans who become infected, usually by eating tissue from diseased cattle, will die of a similar brain disease that may develop over many years.
Abnormal proteins called prions (PRE-ons) are found in brain tissue of diseased cattle. Prions eat away at the brain and create tiny spongelike holes in parts of the brain. These so-called spongy holes cause slow deterioration within the cattle brain, and eventually symptoms affecting the whole body. Death follows. The scientific name for mad cow disease in cattle is called bovine spongiform encephalopathy (meaning sick brain) or BSE, meaning a sickness of the cow’s brain; when damaged brain tissue is viewed on a laboratory slide, it has a spongy appearance.

www.emedicinehealth.com...

Check out this great thread made by soficow that explains BSE (mad cow) and other prion based diseases.

WHY DOES THIS MATTER TO ME?

First, let's look at this scenario:

Diseased prions (from BSE) are found in the brain, spinal cord, eye (in the retina), and other tissues of the nervous system of affected animals

Until recently, fast food restaurants like McDonald's were using pink slime, which had a very high likely hood of containing these tissues. More alarming still, McDonald's burgers used to contain cow brains, and possibly still do:

www.bongonews.com...

Less cows are tested for BSE in the US today, than in 2005. The testing has fallen 90%. That means 1 in 40,000 cows are tested. It's hard to say how many could potentially be infected, but if a fraction of the rest have it, let's say 0.05%. That could potentially be 20 infected cows out of every 40,000.

www.bloomberg.com...

20 cows isn't that many, right? Well, It's likely the beef from your Big Mac isn't from a single cow. It could come from up to 100 cows, or possibly more. Also, remember that they don't have to show symptoms to be a "carrier." The prions can remain dormant for years. So potentially healthy cows could be butchered, and the meat could enter the food supply.

SO WHAT? I FEEL GREAT!

I'm glad you're feeling well. The problem is that the incubation period for BSE is 18 month to 40 years. This means you could be feeling great right now, or for a few decades even, and then all of a sudden the horrible symptoms will manifest.

Symptoms like memory loss, personality changes and hallucinations. This is accompanied by physical problems such as speech impairment, jerky movements (myoclonus), balance and coordination dysfunction (ataxia), changes in gait, rigid posture, and seizures.

OMG! There's no way the government could do this! They would never let something like this happen, right?! RIGHT?!?!

Seriously? The last thing they want is disorder. Consider the fact that we are much like cattle ourselves, and their job is to calm the heard. Ever hear of a thing called fluoride? They still say that stuff is good for your health!

Colm Kelleher, a very intelligent scientist with a PHD in biochemistry has written a book about this very likely scenario: Brian Trust. In the following video, Colm states the case for BSE disguised as Alzheimer's and potentially other forms of "dementia."

5- 13% of Alzheimer's Disease (AD) cases that go to autopsy at university medical centers is actually misdiagnosed sporadic CJD (ref: Manuelidis, J. Pathology 1989), alarming since AD is so common and on the rise.

BSE, when transmitted to mice, cause neuropathological findings of nvCJD, but surprisingly, may also cause changes indistinguishable from sporadic CJD (ref: Collinge, EMBO Journal 2002 & Science 11/04)... in combination with the above, the implication is that a significant proportion of clinical AD may be due to BSE

As mentioned in the video:

* There are clusters of people that have died from "sporadic CJD," and in one case all ate at the same restaurant.
* BSE can cause different kinds of CJD, such as sporadic CJD. That is to say it can manifest itself differently in humans from the classic "mad cow" form.
* 4-5 million Alzheimer's patient in the US.
* 5-10% of cases Alzheimer's are thought to be misdiagnosed
* Alzheimer's disease increased by a factor of 9000% percent since the 1970's.
* The molecular signature for BSE is indistinguishable from sporadic CJD

Commondreams even picked up on the connection back in 2004 in this article. The article itself contains 97 separate references:

www.commondreams.org...

OMG I'm scared! What do I do?!

RUN!

Just kidding. On a more serious note, if you have any friends or family with Alzheimer's, there's a chance they were misdiagnosed, and really have CJD. Again, it's speculated that Alzheimer's is misdiagnosed at a rate of 5-10%. That means 250,000-500,000 cases exist and they could potentially have been caused by BSE.

Although the USDA and CDC would have us believe these diseases are just random occurrences, it is unlikely these diseases arise randomly, and that there is something causing them. Dementia isn't just a random or genetic conditions that just happens to affect 5 million people in the US alone.

One study reported that prion related brain disease took 56 years to manifest symptoms, which means you could have BSE and not know for decades.

More frightening, however, is the number of cows who could have been infected. The number is hard to pinpoint because governments have most likely colluded in hiding the truth.

THAT'S IT! I'M MOVING OUT OF THE COUNTRY!

Just don't move to Britain. 150 have died from mad cow, perhaps a fraction of those who have been infected. In the rest the prions could lay dormant for years, or even decades.

In Europe, over 150 teenagers and young adults have died from vCJD after eating tainted meat products. Because of the large number of infected animals (over 180,000 confirmed cases in the UK alone) and relatively small number of vCJD cases, some researchers believe it is difficult to get the disease. Others believe the incubation period in humans (up to 40 years) is too long for us to know yet how many people are or will be infected. Other scientists believe that some patients are being misdiagnosed, or cases are not being reported properly.

www.sustainabletable.org...
edit on 28-4-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I DON'T EAT MEAT FROM FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS, SO I'M SAFE! =)

Hold on a second, bro. Think back to the controversy of "Pink slime." You know, the cow bi-product that is so disgusting they have to inject it with ammonia and over process it just so they can use it to add volume to other beef products.

Pink slime isn't ONLY found in fast food, check out this list of known sellers:

Target
BJ’s
Hy-Vee
Safeway
Walmart
Albertsons
Stop & Shop
Zaycon Foods

blog.timesunion.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Diseased prions are found in the brain, spinal cord, eye (in the retina), and other tissues of the nervous system of affected animals or humans. In addition, prions can be found outside the nervous system including the bone marrow, spleen, and lymph nodes. Low levels of prions may also be found in blood.

www.emedicinehealth.com...

You can BET if BSE was found anywhere it would be in pink slime. Remember, prions are resistant to heat, irradiation, and chemicals that would normally kill microorganisms, cancers, and viruses.

en.wikipedia.org...

The government has nothing to gain and everything to lose by admitting a mad cow cover up. It would destroy the food industry and cause chaos. As you know the last thing the government wants is any kind of disorder. It's likely that dengenerative prion-based brian diseases will continue to be diagnosed at an increasing rate, and most will be unaware of a one of the greatest coverups of our time as they are calmly led to the slaughter.
edit on 27-4-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

usa & europe & anywhere MONSANTO r allowed,

r the WORST places to be.

www.johntitor.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Began as news the other day:

Researchers at Linköping University have found that luminescent conjugated polymers (LCPs) can render prions harmless and potentially cure fatal nerve-destroying illnesses, in addition to detecting the toxic molecules, as previously known.

Prions eliminated in mice brains

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

www.sciencedaily.com...

Toxic prions in the brain can be detected with self-illuminating polymers. The originators, at Linköping University in Sweden, has now shown that the same molecules can also render the prions harmless, and potentially cure fatal nerve-destroying illnesses.

alot of people are dying from prions from VENISON but it will take a year or two to surface.. i dunno y....

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I wanted to do a thread on myself. Lol, I legally can't donate plasma, because I was forced to live in Germany when I was a toddler. Thanks us army. You suck!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

www.sciencedaily.com...

Toxic prions in the brain can be detected with self-illuminating polymers. The originators, at Linköping University in Sweden, has now shown that the same molecules can also render the prions harmless, and potentially cure fatal nerve-destroying illnesses.

alot of people are dying from prions from VENISON but it will take a year or two to surface.. i dunno y....

That's good news. But, then again, there are a slew of articles that come out everyday about new potential cures for cancer, aids, and every disease under the sun, yet it takes years of trials, and millions of dollars to even find out if it could work.......assuming it gets funding.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply topost by v1rtu0s0

v1rt,

Great info. This is spooky stuff,

And to those who dont go reading thinking that will somehow
assage your fears.

Experts say the disease affects about one person in every million per year worldwide, but prions, the infectious proteins which cause vCJD, can inhabit a person’s body for up to 50 years before presenting symptoms.

During this time, a vCJD carrier could pass it on to others, possibly through a blood transfusion or through medical instruments, since prions can easily attach onto metal surfaces.

nvonews.com...

edit on 28-4-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks for droppin' by.

Even more alarming:

1) 5 - 13% of Alzheimer's Disease (AD) cases that go to autopsy at university medical centers is actually misdiagnosed sporadic CJD (ref: Manuelidis, J. Pathology 1989), alarming since AD is so common and on the rise.
2) BSE, when transmitted to mice, cause neuropathological findings of nvCJD, but surprisingly, may also cause changes indistinguishable from sporadic CJD (ref: Collinge, EMBO Journal 2002 & Science 11/04)... in combination with the above, the implication is that a significant proportion of clinical AD may be due to BSE.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by showintail
I wanted to do a thread on myself. Lol, I legally can't donate plasma, because I was forced to live in Germany when I was a toddler. Thanks us army. You suck!

Why can't you legally donate plasma? Because you are a suspected carrier of prions?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

It doesn't suprise me that Monsanto could be involved somehow.

A quick search, and:

It turns out that the damage done to DNA due to the process of creating a genetically modified organism is far more extensive than previously thought.[1] GM crops routinely create unintended proteins, alter existing protein levels or even change the components and shape of the protein that is created by the inserted gene. Kirk’s concerns about a GM crop producing a harmful misfolded protein remain well-founded, and have been echoed by scientists as one of the many possible dangers that are not being evaluated by the biotech industry’s superficial safety assessments.

So there is a potential link between Monsanto's genetically modified foods that get fed to cattle, and the emergence of mad cow disease outbreaks.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This story really requires a part two.

...two recent surveys of tissue samples from removed appendixes suggest that as many as 1 in 4,000 people in the United Kingdom could be carriers.

Prion diseases such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) are able to jump species much more easily than previously thought. A study published in Science today shows that in mice, prions introduced from other species can replicate in the spleen without necessarily affecting the brain.

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

Everyone should probably basically keep kosher minus maybe the parts about not eating meat with dairy and the more ceremonial-seeming aspects. Draining all the blood and only eating certain parts of the animal probably removes all the prions.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   

So... Lemme get this straight? We're all going to die?

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: CheeseburgerLady

So... Lemme get this straight? We're all going to die?

So....Lemme get this straight?

Your first ever post on ATS.... is a reply to a 10 year old post?
edit on 17-9-2022 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Well, it is now again.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Lol this makes me really think of John Titor. With all of the current events going on, maybe our version is happening later than his did.

top topics

join