It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I don't care who he insulted, but the minute he started cursing and insulting anyone, the principal should have stopped him. Period.

It baffles me that a motivational speaker with a student audience would use such foul language and insult anyone. It's almost as if he were drunk.

If my child had been subjected to this, I'd be furious and someone would have a lot of explaining to do.

i guess it's alright if your son was called a "f-in" faggot by christians, or beat up, or tied to a barb-wired fence and left to die...those things have happened...but woah!! don't insult the christian faith, that would make you furious.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

i guess it's alright if your son was called a "f-in" faggot by christians, or beat up, or tied to a barb-wired fence and left to die...those things have happened...but woah!! don't insult the christian faith, that would make you furious.

Irrelevant to the current situation. Of course it wouldn't be all right if her son was called a "f-in" faggot by Christians, or beat up, or tied to a barb-wired fence and left to die. According to Jesus, we know them by their fruits. If people are doing this, they just clearly aren't Christian, no matter what they say, and can be written off as such, leaving no foul mark against real Christians.

So, you're trying to illicit some sort of similar response from the people here, but you don't even understand what you're saying. Fail.
edit on 28-4-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
the speaker in the OP is just tired of the Christian anti Gay rhetoric
he dishes a little back and he be Baaaaad

christians are the only ones alowed to dish it because there god is the only god
guess he never got the memo

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
the speaker in the OP is just tired of the Christian anti Gay rhetoric
he dishes a little back and he be Baaaaad

christians are the only ones alowed to dish it because there god is the only god
guess he never got the memo

Don't quite understand what you mean. It's quite all right for a Christian to not want to tolerate or have anything to do with someone who practices "x" lifestyle. Avoiding someone, or expressing displeasure with what they do, in and of itself, is not a bad thing.

The second it elevates past that, into violence, or being mean, or thinking hateful thoughts, or whatever, then they aren't really being Christian are they? So the argument doesn't really apply.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Reminds me of the South Park episode where the anti-bullying activists come to the school and start pushing everyone around forcing the kids to be nice to each other through guilt and intimidation tactics. Irony ftw.

Make Bullying Kill Itself.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto

Irrelevant to the current situation. Of course it wouldn't be all right if her son was called a "f-in" faggot by Christians, or beat up, or tied to a barb-wired fence and left to die. According to Jesus, we know them by their fruits. If people are doing this, they just clearly aren't Christian, no matter what they say, and can be written off as such, leaving no foul mark against real Christians.

So, you're trying to illicit some sort of similar response from the people here, but you don't even understand what you're saying. Fail.

please study the "dark ages" in europe, christians tortured and killed non-believers for centuries...or how early god-fearing and religous zealots in the early days of america burned "witches", flogged and tortured "sinners" in the new colonies...and...THE PEOPLE THAT DID THIS WERE CLEARLY CHRISTIAN!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

you just described so many christians
(80,000 sects that think all the other sects are not real christians, not to mention the catholics and protestants who made up 98 plus percent of the Gernman population in 1939...for example)

one could almost believe there is no such thing as a real christian
this is why your arguement is a typical fail which is always dished out when ever anyone points out the fruits of christianity ...which can't be justified

while christians use an entity they can't even prove is real to justify their treatment of anyone not like them...
especially those who suffer and point out christianity's hypocracies
edit on 28-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

please study the "dark ages" in europe, christians tortured and killed non-believers for centuries...or how early god-fearing and religous zealots in the early days of america burned "witches", flogged and tortured "sinners" in the new colonies...and...THE PEOPLE THAT DID THIS WERE CLEARLY CHRISTIAN!!!

Please study the words of Jesus.
You will know them by their fruit.
Would a real Christian who follows what Jesus said "torture and kill non believers for centuries, or burn witches, or sinners?"
No.

Therefore, no matter WHAT they were SAYING, the things they were DOING proved that they were not Christian. Therefore, the argument doesn't apply.
Again.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

There is no appeal to anti-Christian sentiment in his rhetoric, and Mr. Savage makes that clear at the outset. There is no 'cursing' of Christians; and it is misleading to include that phrase in the thread title. Savage never directly called those students 'pansy-asses,' but was referring to a larger demographic whose behavior, in the face of such rhetoric, would react similarly.

If one finds Savage's speech offensive, then he/she is obviously not prepared for the post-high-school world (e.g. in-classroom college life). In this event, one has two choices: continue to bury one's head in the sand and believe the nonsense that Christians are a minority in the United States and that there exists a conspiracy against them in their entirety; OR, one may stop wearing their feelings on their sleeve, grow-up, and begin participating in a dialogue that may threaten certain beliefs. By doing the latter, one displays courage in oneself, and demonstrates a lack of fear in the pursuit of gaining a new awareness or deeper understanding of a personally valuable issue - thereby empowering the individual.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

you just described so many christians
(80,000 sects that think all the other sects are not real christians, not to mention the catholics and protestants who made up 98 plus percent of the Gernman population in 1939)

one could almost believe there is no such thing as a real christian
this is why your arguement is a typical fail which is always dished out when ever anyone points out the fruits of christianity ...

while christians use an entity they can't even prove is real to justify their treatment of anyone not like them

I'll just let the scripture speak for itself here.

13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy[a] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’

23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I don't care who he insulted, but the minute he started cursing and insulting anyone, the principal should have stopped him. Period.

It baffles me that a motivational speaker with a student audience would use such foul language and insult anyone. It's almost as if he were drunk.

If my child had been subjected to this, I'd be furious and someone would have a lot of explaining to do.

Did you even read my post? It clearly states it doesn't matter WHO he insulted. Christian, homosexual, Muslim, whoever.
I don't condone hate, no matter who speaks it.

I'm agnostic, btw.
edit on 28-4-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The christians in the OP took offence to the victim and the exposer of christian gay bullying
instead of dealing with the so called fake christians that do it

so again another proof your arguement is a non contender

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

The bible contradicts itself on whether you can be judgmental or not. Jesus himself tells others not to judge. If I were Christian I think I'd listen to Jesus.

8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

en.wikipedia.org...

37 And judge not, and ye shall not be judged: and condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: release, and ye shall be released:

Luke 6:37-42

edit on 28-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The christians in the OP took offence to the victim and the exposer of christian gay bullying
instead of dealing with the so called fake christians that do it

so again another proof your arguement is a non contender

What are they supposed to do, go back and change history?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Here we have a 47 year old man attacking teenagers at a high school.

Why doesn't he pick on someone his own age?

- Dan Savage - Wiki

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

The bible contradicts itself on whether you can be judgmental or not. Jesus himself tells other not to judge.

edit on 28-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Did you not read the scripture that I posted? He really just says to be careful about who and how harshly you judge.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

And read my last post. The bible contradicts itself on whether you can be judgmental or not.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I don't see the contradiction. He says "Judge not, LEST YE BE JUDGED."

So, "Judge, but let it be known that you, too, will be judged."

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Yes, he does wonders for the gay marriage debate...
It's people like him that demand we acknowledge the Gay Pride Parades and all the sick twisted activities that come along with that. On the other hand, if we disagree with the open spreading of AIDS aka GRID via the bath house mentality at these Gay Pride parades, he calls us Christian Bigots. In other words he is a bully in his own right.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I could say a great deal when it comes to people like him—blaming the problems of the world on religion, but I'll keep this brief. I am not Christian (or religious at all) but I am glad for old-fashioned Christian morals and compassionate Christian organizations which do real good in this world. It's a religion based on wisdom, love and morals. The vast majority of Christians do not take every word of the Bible to heart. The crazy bits that people like Dan Savage point out are ignored and laughed at by most Christians too. Most Christians just like the teachings of Jesus (not every word he said, just his general teachings on wisdom and kindness.) I too am glad for it because I'd hate to see how ugly this world would have been without it.

And yes, terrible things have been done in the name of religious politics, but most Christians do not agree with most wars and no not believe in everything that the Church does politically or otherwise. Of course the tragic acts or interference of the Church will always be written in history and will reflect, unfairly, upon the majority of Christian followers (as the actions of a corrupt government reflect its people unfairly.)

The many good acts done by the actual followers are rarely remembered at all. Even when it comes to the political systems, not all wars can be blamed on them. Greed, national politics and a desire for control by elite power groups are huge factors as well ("beware the military industrial complex".) And yes, homosexuals have felt the sting of some Christians' views against their way of life. But I've known many non-Christians who were gay haters and I've had gay friends who respect Christianity. Those who try to blame the world's problems on religion are so small-minded that I have to believe that it's a view forged by emotion (resentment, fear, insecurity) and not by logic, since it ignores basic common sense.

As for Dan Savage, his name suits him.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join