It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

Unless the kids in the audience were ranting about it (or to use your example: had 'God hates fags badges on their shirts'): then your example and the other member's still makes no sense, IMHO.

I won't even pretend to know what this guy has been through. No doubt he has his defense mechanisms on high alert and has built a protective wall around himself. Having homosexual loved ones, I've seen what they have had to go through.

However, when you are campaigning for a cause on a national level, it's good to not engage in the type of behavior that has hurt you. Break the cycle and do not use what could have been a beautiful opportunity to engage in the behavior you are fighting for.

It ruins your message.

Not sure how to say it more plainly than that. I'm already sounding redundant! lol

edit on 4/28/2012 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by ChristianJihad
reply to post by jacktorrance

Some people are offended by the speaker in the OP's vocabulary.

As I mentioned earlier, all they got to do is turn the other cheek love their enemy and walk away.

Ok they walked away but then go crying to mummy about it now that is some serious hypocrisy from the god squad.

People don't understand the Gospel of Jesus, most Christians don't even understand it. But to understand it you have to remember one thing: Even Jesus traveled with a sword.

Keep that in mind when your thinking this over:

If someone smacks you across the face, causing your head to turn, if you turn your other cheek your facing the person who smacked/back handed you. Your not allowing that person to hit your other cheek, but refusing to give into fear of your oppressor.

link   
reply to post by jzenman

There is more evidence in the Gospels for Jesus to hate the rich than to hate gays.

Is it not ironic how the alleged prince of peace is the author of hate ?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Risqman
Dan Savage is obviously a Gay anti-straight idiot.
These types of people are the worst since they talk about how badly they are discriminated against because of being gay but don't offer the same tolerance.
"I've been wronged so I'll do the same" type of mentality shows just how un-evolved he really is.
Same type who if he found out he had AIDS, would probably try to infect as many straight or BI individuals as he could so he could have everyone in the same damn boat as he would be.
I like how people quote how they think the Bible is stupid and pick OLD TESTAMENT books to use as examples, when in fact Jesus mentioned more than once about disregarding many of the OLD Practices in the OT because we no longer needed to do sacrifices and a whole bunch of other things that dumbass Dan Savage doesn't recall because it doesn't fit him bashing the Bible and being intolerant.

Without exception, everyone I have ever spoken to who says homosexuality is a sin, an abomination, something to rid the world of - quotes old testament scripture to justify their views. Jesus, of course, never condemned homosexuality - not once. That's why people who hate homosexuals have to resort to the old testament. Dan Savage was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of ignoring some scripture in the old testament, while hanging on to the homosexual references in the old testament.
edit on 28-4-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

People don't understand the Gospel of Jesus, most Christians don't even understand it.

Ohhh go on then I'll ask - "And you do I suppose ?" And once again I'll ask Who exactly, made you an authority"?"

Hm, heal the sick, raise the dead, walk on water, talks a tree to death , brings down temples, is god on earth, but needs to carry a sword.

Wait don't tell me the sword bit was a metaphor
edit on 28-4-2012 by ChristianJihad because: add

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianJihad

I'm not even arguing with you, I was just answering your question. Although I feel we would disagree regarding religion, you have your beliefs and I have mine. I don't judge you for it, and am certainly not arguing with you now. The reactions from some people, claiming his speech was a tirade against all Christians, and adding to the "war on Christianity" certainly does, in my opinion, show hypocrisy. (As I have stated all through out this thread.)

I do feel that perhaps it was a staged walk-out to show that they didn't agree with the speaker - which is fine. It happened in a country where currently at least, that's still a legal way to protest.

Personally, even if I disagreed with the speaker's points, I would have stayed and listened. I feel Aristotle said it best, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." I try to not only listen to others opinions, but actively seek out opinions that differ from mine - because hey, what do I know? Maybe I can learn something.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28

Sir I am a republican and gay. I believe in a constitutionally based small government. Please cite for me where the Constitution prohibits or recognizes marriages of any sort? If people want the government regulating marriage then they are for big government and therefore a democrat.

The issue of gay marriage is a states right issue. The issue of gay marriage, or any marriage for that example, is not within the jurisdiction of our federal government.

There is a difference between small government federalism and anarchism. The fact that you don't understand that means you have no understanding of what the constitution really is: A Treaty between 50 independent and sovereign nations. If you want a happy go lucky gay Utopia, move to San Francisco.

Try your rules for radicals on someone else.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Jesus, of course, never condemned homosexuality - not once

Well the guy was a little partial to spending the night with half naked young men teaching the mysteries of heaven, so I suppose that would explain a lot.

If only Te Haggard was born in the first century Palestine eh?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Very well put sir.
I applaud your attitude towards the discussion.
Like I said, I have seen worse hate and bigotry on Fox news.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I have actually watched the video of Mr. Savage's address. He is obviously angry and fighting back against what he perceives as an evil, and he makes some good points. The kids who walked out claim to have an interest in journalism. It would be sad indeed if they were only interested in or wanted to report on issues as long as those issues conform to their own ideology. Is the poster coming down in favor of bullying or against homosexuality or claiming the bible the to be taken literally? I would encourage anyone who has any question as to what Jesus thought about the issue of sexuality to read Matthew 19:12. As my screen name may indicate to anyone who happens to read this post, I believe in the wisdom embodied in the Constitution of the USA. Whether I agree with Mr. Savage or not, I will defend to the death his right to express those opinions.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I do feel that perhaps it was a staged walk-out to show that they didn't agree with the speaker -

Now hear we are i agreement my friend, that most definitely was a staged walk out not doubt about it, poor things martyr and all that.

They knew very well what this guy was all about .

Yes I agree it is far more productive to hear someone out, at the end of the day we never know when we are wrong. Ah, but what is being wrong ? A minority opinion ?

I'm off to bed

link   
reply to post by beezzer

If you force your self to listen to Lady Gags anit-Bullying song it sound very simliar to Madannas's repect your self song .

link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

Very well put sir. I applaud your attitude towards the discussion. Like I said, I have seen worse hate and bigotry on Fox news.

And thank you, sir/maddam.

I applaud your attitude and contribution to the thread as well.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Firstamendmantmark

LOL if any of those who walked out wanted to be a journalist, they might want to reconsider their career choice. Just finished J-school- and man in the last three years- I have heard some really stupid stuff, but never once have I walked away or ignored someone's opinion. They might want to try PR though.
edit on 28-4-2012 by tribaltrip because: Spelzingings

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

People don't understand the Gospel of Jesus, most Christians don't even understand it.

Ohhh go on then I'll ask - "And you do I suppose ?" And once again I'll ask Who exactly, made you an authority"?"

Me, Myself and I.

Like I keep saying, rule of psychopaths just ain't gonna cut it for yous anymore. I believe that I am right and your totally wrong, in regards to this issue. I may not be a perfect human being, but that doesn't matter because I am totally apathetic towards your thoughts, opinions, hopes and dreams.

The simple fact is you and your ilk are actively interfering in the society I want, thus my apathy turns to hostility.

"Most people don't care till you make them care."

That statement, I think most activist's understand at-least on an instinctive level(regards of what they are advocating for). The problem is when you make people care, it may not turn out the way you would like. And as Homosexual Radical activist's try to take advantage of this more moderate culture, they will find the opposite of what they where expecting.

Here is the thing: I want a moderate, quasi Christian society. The problem is, if you actually read what I wrote above, antics like yours usually lead to a more extremist society. Maybe that is what you really are after? Maybe your really some kind of Evangelical(they usually believe in the ends justify the means evil stuff) trying to stir the pot, either way I ain't having it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
Here we have yet another example of how thinly-veiled hate against Christians goes under the guise of "tolerance" and "anti-hate."

This speaker is a hateful person, and I applaud the young people who stood up and walked out on his vulgar, inappropriate tirade.

If you set yourself up as a voice of tolerance, you have a special obligation to be tolerant to everyone, even those you disagree with.

It is more obvious than ever that Christians are under attack. If you don't bow down to the anti-Christian, pro-Gay agenda of hatred and intolerance that goes under the doublespeak-false-colors of "anti-bullying," you will be ostracised

Fortunately today's kids are smarter than that! They see through the intolerance and hate! Good for them for tuning their back on Dan Savage - an apt name if there ever was one!

As many as 100 high school students walked out of a national journalism conference after an anti-bullying speaker began cursing, attacked the Bible and reportedly called those who refused to listen to his rant “pansy asses.”

The speaker was Dan Savage, founder of the “It Gets Better” project, an anti-bullying campaign that has reached more than 40 million viewers with contributors ranging from President Obama to Hollywood stars. Savage also writes a sex advice column called “Savage Love.”

Savage, and his husband, were also guests at the White House for President Obama’s 2011 LGBT Pride Month reception. He was also invited to a White House anti-bullying conference.

Savage was supposed to be delivering a speech about anti-bullying at the National High School Journalism Conference sponsored by the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association. But it turned into an episode of Christian-bashing.

Rick Tuttle, the journalism advisor for Sutter Union High School in California, was among several thousand people in the audience. He said they thought the speech was one thing – but it turned into something else.

“I thought this would be about anti-bullying,” Tuttle told Fox news. “It turned into a pointed attack on Christian beliefs.”

Tuttle said a number of his students were offended by Savage’s remarks – and some decided to leave the auditorium.

“It became hostile,” he said. “It felt hostile as we were sitting in the audience – especially towards Christians who espouse beliefs that he was literally taking on.”

Tuttle said the speech was laced with vulgarities and “sexual innuendo not appropriate for this age group.” At one point, he said Savage told the teenagers about how good his partner looked in a speedo.

More at SOURCE

Did you even watch the video?

He does nothing but make extremely well points.

He isn't even disrespectful other than saying "we can ignore the bull# in the bible, because we know it's wrong. Like when to eat shellfish and slavery."

And know what? He's right. Completely.

If you disagree, you're saying slavery is right and justifiable, because that IS what the Bible says.

He could have decided to not use the term "bull****," but these kids are in highschool. They hear that word. In fact, I'm 100% positive that some of their teachers use words of equally offensive nature.

IMO, he did nothing wrong.

It doesn't make me feel good to say it, but I think you're falling for ridiculous lies of FOX news. And it's hurting you in the long run.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianJihad

In orthodox Christianity Jesus is both fully human (his life on earth) and fully God.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Some people are offended by the speaker in the OP's vocabulary.

As I mentioned earlier, all they got to do is turn the other cheek love their enemy and walk away.

Ok they walked away but then go crying to mummy about it now that is some serious hypocrisy from the god squad.

People don't understand the Gospel of Jesus, most Christians don't even understand it. But to understand it you have to remember one thing: Even Jesus traveled with a sword.

Keep that in mind when your thinking this over:

If someone smacks you across the face, causing your head to turn, if you turn your other cheek your facing the person who smacked/back handed you. Your not allowing that person to hit your other cheek, but refusing to give into fear of your oppressor.

Wow! You have just given me more faith in the idea that we truly do see only what we want to see. I am seriously flabbergasted at your take on that verse. But hey whatever gets you through the night. To each his own I suppose.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I can't believe people are so intolerant to me wanting to beat homosexuals. How dare someone tell me that the bible doesn't give me the right to own slaves and stone people.

Seriously though, was what he said wrong? He's harsh, but teenagers don't pay attention to anything unless you use foul language.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacktorrance

I know Jewish people who have no problem with gays.
reply to post by kaylaluv

And I know "Christians" that hate Jews.

I agree with you. I have no problems with anyone that follows a religion peacefully. I have no problem with anyone that simply lives peacefully. I have no issues with someone that can defend themselves and their opinions civilly and without hate.

I, like you, do have a problem with someone that use any text or document (especially The Bible) to justify hate against someone with a different opinion/lifestyle.

Why do you pick on the Jewish History Book???
You are a anti-Semite that came he to ths thread because of you problem for what??

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join