It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by schadenfreude

Originally posted by jzenman
The very title of this thread is misleading. It's so funny to me some of you don't even see that. And to call that a tirade? That is really laughable. It borders on not being in touch with reality. Just because you disagreed with the message doesn't make it a tirade or a rant. Maybe it sounded like a rant or tirade because the idea was so alien to your ears. Even Jesus Himself was accused of blaspheme. But he spoke to common people and used common examples to express his point. And his message at the time was very offensive to the so-called religious of the day. But it was the Truth and it is still with us to this day because it was true. And you would have to be ignorant of the English language to think the speaker (Dan Savage) cursed out any of those high school kids. To curse someone out it would have to be directed at them. The swear word he used just means "false" or "untrue". Grow up people.
edit on 28-4-2012 by jzenman because: spelling

And it's comments like this that only exacerbate the problem. You say Jesus was accused of blasphemy, can you define what blasphemy IS? Do you understand according to the greek, WHY they sought to stone him? Jesus WAS declaring himself to be god, which is WHY they sought to stone him for blasphemy. When he said "before Abraham was, I am." or some faulty translations say "I have been" he wasn't saying he existed before he came unto this planet; he was saying I am that I am, the OT title of God the father that was the name of God given to the jews in the OT.

I swear, for so many "ignorant christians" out there, I wish the world would follow it's own damn advice, you armchair bible scholars are laughable.(And please try and not to take this personally, you're not the only one teaching us "biblical facts" without the slightest clue of connotation or context, just the one I happened to catch before I logged off for the night)

Well you have your interpretation and I have mine. C'est la vie.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
reply to post by Partygirl

And people wonder why every single independent civilization without exception, that tolerated homosexuals and their antics fell.

There is more then enough land available for homosexuals to form their own villages, towns and cities. The mentality of these gay rights activists is the mentality of a rapist. They will keep raping heterosexual society until it is destroyed, or until we stand up for our most fundamental right, the right to exist.

And people wonder why the American/European civilizations can tolerate homosexuals yet be the world leaders in scientific research, medical advances, innovation, and forward thinking. There is more than enough land available for those that want to live by the rules of an ancient out dated text to form their own villages, towns, and cities. The mentality of these Christian religious zealous is that of a rapist. They will keep raping/evangelizing non believing society until it is destroyed or we accept their view of how we should live our lives with little regard to our right to determine how we live our lives as we see fit.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianJihad

Do people still use the phrase swearing now ? Christ no wonder the world is on its' arse I thought cussing was something that appears in that show the Waltons.

Well, what do you call it? I believe I've only ever heard it referred to as one of four things - those three or profanity - or "bad words" by anyone under the age of 4.

Either way, that's not really the topic at hand. Some people are offended by the speaker in the OP's vocabulary. While I agree that there is much more that people should be focused on in the world (especially considering most of the kids that go to that school probably say worse on a daily basis than he did in his speech), it's another thing people have against the man.

If they're airing their opinion of him, why not include the fact that he swore if you dislike it?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I would say a majority of people who hate on a certain religion, are probably not religious at all and were raised on that religion, realistically that is.

Personally, I didn't think this was THAT offensive. And everyone talking about his cursing and what not, we're talking about a generation that uses curse words excessively, if they're in highschool and can't take a little cursing, they are doomed in this world anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think hating on one certain religion is justifiable, especially when we're talking about an anti bullying campaign and what not, but I've seen waay worse in this GOP election when it comes to straight up bigotry and ignorance. From the video provided in the thread, he really wasn't that out of line.

I'm sure I'll catch heat for this, but I don't care, if this is what people are really going to make a big deal about, well then don't be surprised when you miss the real issues. Did he have an agenda, sure- but if there is one thing I've learned from ATS, anyone who steps up on a pedestal and gives a speech has an agenda.

I think what he was really getting to, and if you couldn't get it without blowing a gasket, "Why do we follow some rules but not others when it comes to the bible?"

If he made you cry, well cry me a river, because speeches like that are fundamentally the words of many conversations spoke everyday.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You come off as a religion hating bigot, but I am sure you know that

You are indeed correct I do hate religion but am not a bigot and yes I know it

What you may not know, is you sound just as ridiculous as those you ridicule

If that is your belief, fine I will always defend your right to believe how you wish.

You are also pushing your beliefs, or lack thereof down everyone's throat, and expecting everyone to see the world they way you do.

Nope. I'm not pushing anything on anyone, I am merely "pushing back" and some people are just not accustomed to that, not unlike the xtians kids in the video.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChristianJihad
reply to post by redneck13

Nobody really gives a rat’s a$$ what this person wants to do in his personal life. Just don’t come to a school and talk about the Bible in a deconstructive derogatory and disrespectful manor,

Why not ?

A perfect example of that story from Deuteronomy, you know the one about the half Egyptian/Israeli young man who had a good old time insulting the God of Abraham as being silly in comparison to the Egyptian pantheon. Dealing with people like you illustrates the necessary evil of it all.

There is a big difference between having your own beliefs and thinking/believing your right, to attacking other peoples beliefs like a rabid hyena. Then again, people who stand for nothing will attack anyone else who tries to stand for something.

link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
Ya- all notice None, None care to take on the BRITCHES of truth.
A forked tongue is sour in the mouth of it's owner.
Anti Christianism behavior is tantamount to Anti -Semitic behavior.
You got it? Bring it. ljb

I have no problem with true Christians who follow the teachings of Christ. I take issue with people with hate in their hearts who use the Bible to justify that hate. I know people who are true Christians who have no problem with gays. I have Jewish friends who are gay - I know Jewish people who have no problem with gays.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. Britches.

link   
You gotta be kidding me. Why is this even being talked about. I think the guy has a right to his opinion, furthermore, the organizers of the conference maybe should have listened to one of this dudes previous speeches. He talks about the Bible in every speech, and he was not being hateful at all. All he said was that if you are going to live and judge by the Bible , then you should probably accept all the things ion it or none. I bet most of the people who are complaining about his topic choice and language let their kids play games and watch movies with far worse content than this.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jacktorrance

Some people are offended by the speaker in the OP's vocabulary.

As I mentioned earlier, all they got to do is turn the other cheek love their enemy and walk away.

Ok they walked away but then go crying to mummy about it now that is some serious hypocrisy from the god squad.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

WOW, quite the attempt to derail the thread there Mr. Britches.

And who are you to declare anyone's actions to be anti-christian? Maybe, just maybe, some of us try to live as Christ did, making us Christians, but are just fed up with pseudo-christians, masquerading as followers of Christs teachings, using the Bible to spew hate and damnation.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28

Originally posted by korathin

And people wonder why every single independent civilization without exception, that tolerated homosexuals and their antics fell.

There is more then enough land available for homosexuals to form their own villages, towns and cities. The mentality of these gay rights activists is the mentality of a rapist. They will keep raping heterosexual society until it is destroyed, or until we stand up for our most fundamental right, the right to exist.

And people wonder why the American/European civilizations can tolerate homosexuals yet be the world leaders in scientific research, medical advances, innovation, and forward thinking. There is more than enough land available for those that want to live by the rules of an ancient out dated text to form their own villages, towns, and cities. The mentality of these Christian religious zealous is that of a rapist. They will keep raping/evangelizing non believing society until it is destroyed or we accept their view of how we should live our lives with little regard to our right to determine how we live our lives as we see fit.

We tried, you keep following us no matter where we move to. Don't pull that garbage on me, I live in NEPA. I see every day how lefty turds are moving from NY, NJ and other lefty states to PA because of how their leftism voting turned their home states into holes in the ground.

So far they are either not voting or voting Republican, but such people will fall back onto their old ways after they feel comfortable enough. So don't you dare try and pull that BS on me.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

You see, you are a good student.
That was much shorter and more direct.
That's what i'm talkin about.
The words are the ammo ljb

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Dan Savage is obviously a Gay anti-straight idiot.
These types of people are the worst since they talk about how badly they are discriminated against because of being gay but don't offer the same tolerance.
"I've been wronged so I'll do the same" type of mentality shows just how un-evolved he really is.
Same type who if he found out he had AIDS, would probably try to infect as many straight or BI individuals as he could so he could have everyone in the same damn boat as he would be.
I like how people quote how they think the Bible is stupid and pick OLD TESTAMENT books to use as examples, when in fact Jesus mentioned more than once about disregarding many of the OLD Practices in the OT because we no longer needed to do sacrifices and a whole bunch of other things that dumbass Dan Savage doesn't recall because it doesn't fit him bashing the Bible and being intolerant.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

If that second video is the actual speech, I think it was great, and good for him. I think the Christians outside would have been much better served by pondering his points than hiding in the hall. It was far from an attack. Unless attack means someone made good points that no one wanted to admit to, so we'll just leave instead of either take constructive criticism or find a way to defend our position with respect and without hatred.
There are a lot of Christians, not all of course, who need to learn that disagreement is not hate, and not being allowed to determine how others live is not the same thing as someone determining how you may live.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I know Jewish people who have no problem with gays.
reply to post by kaylaluv

And I know "Christians" that hate Jews.

I agree with you. I have no problems with anyone that follows a religion peacefully. I have no problem with anyone that simply lives peacefully. I have no issues with someone that can defend themselves and their opinions civilly and without hate.

I, like you, do have a problem with someone that use any text or document (especially The Bible) to justify hate against someone with a different opinion/lifestyle.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

“I thought this would be about anti-bullying,” Tuttle told Fox news. “It turned into a pointed attack on Christian beliefs.”

They invited a guy to do an antibullying speech, and he kicks it off by ridiculing a group of people's beliefs. Bullying includes ridiculing people's beliefs......

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
There is more evidence in the Gospels for Jesus to hate the rich than to hate gays. I think the problem with modern First World Christianity (here in the capitalist US) is that if they dropped the anti-gay crusade they would have to actually deal with those uncomfortable verses in the Gospels about the rich, pacifism and loving your enemy.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan

WOW, quite the attempt to derail the thread there Mr. Britches.

And who are you to declare anyone's actions to be anti-christian? Maybe, just maybe, some of us try to live as Christ did, making us Christians, but are just fed up with pseudo-christians, masquerading as followers of Christs teachings, using the Bible to spew hate and damnation.

Fair somewhat enough.
BUT by your own admission you are TOTALLY IGNORANT of folks like me that can run your BS deeper into the ground than HELL itself.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Sir I am a republican and gay. I believe in a constitutionally based small government. Please cite for me where the Constitution prohibits or recognizes marriages of any sort? If people want the government regulating marriage then they are for big government and therefore a democrat.

The issue of gay marriage is a states right issue. The issue of gay marriage, or any marriage for that example, is not within the jurisdiction of our federal government.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Dealing with people like you illustrates the necessary evil of it all.

And what is dealing with people like me actually like then ?

You know I'm not that much different to a woman saying no, do not force yourself upon me either physically or emotionally for if you attempt to I will come back at you with equal fervor in order to protect myself and my family from your attempt to force yourself upon me or mine.

You make me your enemy not I you and in the 21st century , how does it go? I am legion

new topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join