It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

Hi sch
One thought here. Your ammo is silver. Dispense it sparingly.
And I know darn well you know this------NEVER lose sight of the target.
The enemy has nothing but the Hanky Guy in the video
and a pile of mushroom food for weapons.
Onward ljb

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jzenman
The very title of this thread is misleading. It's so funny to me some of you don't even see that. And to call that a tirade? That is really laughable. It borders on not being in touch with reality. Just because you disagreed with the message doesn't make it a tirade or a rant. Maybe it sounded like a rant or tirade because the idea was so alien to your ears. Even Jesus Himself was accused of blaspheme. But he spoke to common people and used common examples to express his point. And his message at the time was very offensive to the so-called religious of the day. But it was the Truth and it is still with us to this day because it was true. And you would have to be ignorant of the English language to think the speaker (Dan Savage) cursed out any of those high school kids. To curse someone out it would have to be directed at them. The swear word he used just means "false" or "untrue". Grow up people.
edit on 28-4-2012 by jzenman because: spelling

And it's comments like this that only exacerbate the problem. You say Jesus was accused of blasphemy, can you define what blasphemy IS? Do you understand according to the greek, WHY they sought to stone him? Jesus WAS declaring himself to be god, which is WHY they sought to stone him for blasphemy. When he said "before Abraham was, I am." or some faulty translations say "I have been" he wasn't saying he existed before he came unto this planet; he was saying I am that I am, the OT title of God the father that was the name of God given to the jews in the OT.

I swear, for so many "ignorant christians" out there, I wish the world would follow it's own damn advice, you armchair bible scholars are laughable.(And please try and not to take this personally, you're not the only one teaching us "biblical facts" without the slightest clue of connotation or context, just the one I happened to catch before I logged off for the night)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChristianJihad

What is crude and pathetic is for one group of people to dictate to another that they should live their lives according to the dictates of an imaginary man that lives in the sky.

let me stop you right here friend and say that your posture here dictates your positioning and what is to follow, which I didn't even read because of this posturing.

just maybe there are some that are way worse... the "imaginary atheists" for do they really exists even?

I don't believe in atheists because they do not believe in God, only Jesus can give them sight.
edit on 28-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

link   

What is crude and pathetic is for one group of people to dictate to another that they should live their lives according to the dictates of an imaginary man that lives in the sky.

let me stop you right here friend as say that your posture here dictates your positioning and what is to follow which I didn't even read because of this posturing.

just maybe there are some that are way worse... the "imaginary atheists" for do they really exists even?

I don't believe in atheists because they do not believe in God, only Jesus can give them sight.

link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Originally posted by kaylaluv
How about this analogy? If a kid has been punched in the face by bullies every day for 6 months, and he decides one day to fight back by punching his bullies... is that wrong? Does that make this kid a bully, or does that make the kid someone who refuses to let himself be bullied anymore?

I think he was addressing some of the reasons for bullying. Yes, he concentrated on gay bullying because that is what he is personally familiar with. And, he believes people using the Bible to justify their hatred of gays is a major contributing factor in gay bullying. Wouldn't that make it appropriate to the subject at hand?

If you were going to discuss what it was that contributed to or caused gay bullying, what would you say?

But these students in his audience were not such a type to his or our knowledge. He just stereotyped based on his perceptions and prejudice. Everyone likes to stand up to a bully. But in your analogy, you'd just go around punching random people in blue shirts because whoever tormented you those 6 months wore a blue shirt.

See what I'm saying?

I do see what you're saying. I would have to go back and watch the video, but I don't think he specifically addressed those Christian teens, until they walked out on his speech. Obviously he wasn't happy about them walking out (was a bit rude on their part, IMO), so he called them on it. If they had stayed, I don't think he would have said anything to them specifically. Nor do I think that he said all Christians were hateful. I think he said there was a lot of BS in the Bible, some of which everyone ignores (slavery, stoning women), and yet some used scriptures right next to the references to slavery and stoning to justify hatred of gays. Maybe he did say all Christians do this, but I don't think I heard that.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

If a kid has been punched in the face by bullies every day for 6 months, and he decides one day to fight back by punching his bullies... is that wrong? Does that make this kid a bully, or does that make the kid someone who refuses to let himself be bullied anymore?

Sorry to interrupt but I think you missed the bit where the bullies had been getting away with it so long and so widespread that it became the norm backed by bully law.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

For those of us who don't live in the US could someone please explain what this "cursing" is all about please. Is this like a voodoo curse or something ? Are you referring to MR Savage saying BS how is that a curse exactly ?
reply to post by ChristianJihad

Cursing and swearing/cussing are the same things in the US. Or at least certain parts of the US, I know.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Which jesus are you referring to my friend ?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
reply to post by schadenfreude

Hi sch
One thought here. Your ammo is silver. Dispense it sparingly.
And I know darn well you know this------NEVER lose sight of the target.
The enemy has nothing but the Hanky Guy in the video
and a pile of mushroom food for weapons.
Onward ljb

Although I appreciate the sentiment, (truly) I believe the exact opposite. Ignorance is killing us. I'm not being poetic or metaphorical here either, i mean literal physical death. Ppl need to be aware of this, no matter whether or not they BELIEVE it or not, it's not our job to get them to believe, that's God's job, it's our job to get the onfo out.

If we decide who or when to share this knowledge, or who is worthy to know it, then we're no different than TPTB, and that puts us in direct conflict then with Christ. We're supposed to "sow often, and frequently". The only thing we sow now is deceit and guile, and we didn't get any of that from the Father either.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

reply to post by kaylaluv

If a kid has been punched in the face by bullies every day for 6 months, and he decides one day to fight back by punching his bullies... is that wrong? Does that make this kid a bully, or does that make the kid someone who refuses to let himself be bullied anymore?

Sorry to interrupt but I think you missed the bit where the bullies had been getting away with it so long and so widespread that it became the norm backed by bully law.

please leave from this topic if you would so kindly... you are not on topic and you are attempting to derail the thread.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

You come off as a religion hating bigot, but I am sure you know that. What you may not know, is you sound just as ridiculous as those you ridicule. You are also pushing your beliefs, or lack thereof down everyone's throat, and expecting everyone to see the world they way you do. Mr. pot, I would like to introduce you to Mr. Kettle.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

It is strange that ideas as beautiful as those expressed in the New Testament are the source of so much argument and judgemental stances, in direct opposition to the main ideas expressed in the tome.

This little exchange is a wonderful example of tempers flaring over nothing... truly nothing but people's interpretation of words that are somewhat indeterminate except when it speaks of loving everyone and being non judgemental.

The Bible has caused at least as much strife as it solves. It is not debatable that it was compiled by men. What does this tell someone after they take a breath and look at it calmly?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Nobody really gives a rat’s a$$ what this person wants to do in his personal life. Just don’t come to a school and talk about the Bible in a deconstructive derogatory and disrespectful manor, when you would not allow a priest or clergy to talk about it in a constructive way. We have a separation of church and state and that is where the line is drawn and do not try to deny the fact we are one nation under god.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Offering an opposing view backed up by logic and reason is not derailing the thread; it is contributing to the thread greatly to do so.

If you disagree you probably can't support your argument and don't want the opposition. It really weakens your stance to display behavior that shows your unwillingness to engage in debate if that debate contradicts your world view.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Ya- all notice None, None care to take on the BRITCHES of truth.
A forked tongue is sour in the mouth of it's owner.
Anti Christianism behavior is tantamount to Anti -Semitic behavior.
You got it? Bring it. ljb

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I am sorry Ashley, but your premise is faulty, let me help you. If someone was abuse by kids all wearing a blue shirt that had a nice little logo on it that said "I hate fags", then it would be safe to assume, that those wearing blue shirts with "I hate fags" embroidered on the shirt were a threat.

The only Christians that should be offended by what Mr. Savage had to say are those "christians" that have used the bible as a tool for hate. I try to live as best as I can as a Christian, in the spirit of the Bible, and I am not offended one little bit, nor felt any insecurity in my faith, what so ever, by what Dan Savage said.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacktorrance

For those of us who don't live in the US could someone please explain what this "cursing" is all about please. Is this like a voodoo curse or something ? Are you referring to MR Savage saying BS how is that a curse exactly ?

Cursing and swearing/cussing are the same things in the US. Or at least certain parts of the US, I know.

Do people still use the phrase swearing now ? Christ no wonder the world is on its' arse I thought cussing was something that appears in that show the Waltons.

Thousands of children suffer and dies every day the godman jesus watches with indifference and the xtians are busy worrying about cussing and what other people do in the privacy of their own bedroom. Not much hope for humanity then is there .

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I agree with everything the poster 'Climax' has said on this thread. The bible (I refuse to capitalize it) is full of violence, torture and obscenities galore. If you want to call it a holy book, and only listen to parts of it, that's up to you, but stop pretending that the rest of us can't see the hypocrisy. Dan Savage is a beacon of light to the gay community, especially to gay teenagers (he started the idea of "It Gets Better" to try to prevent high gay suicide rates, caused in part because of you idiot christians and your idiot children tormenting and bullying gays in school).

I got news for you all, your Jesus was probably gay, and your god created gays.

Deal with that and try to act Christ-like while you're at it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by redneck13

Nobody really gives a rat’s a$$ what this person wants to do in his personal life. Just don’t come to a school and talk about the Bible in a deconstructive derogatory and disrespectful manor,

Why not ?

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join