It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

What's a sinful lifestyle?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

Chapter and verse of what? I was pointing out what the the premise of Mr. Savage's speech were.

But since you clearly don't read all the posts, here is a link to the post I made (just a few posts up the page from yours) quote the bible on tolerance.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Galatians 5:1
Stand fast therefore in the liberty with which Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by davidmann

If there was a way to demote stars from you I would but you have no stars yet to remove, if only because you equate Christianity with that filth.
edit on 28-4-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

Why don't you use the alert button? Maybe the mods will ban me. Then you can be rid of me, right?

I've been damaged beyond repair by your so called 'Christians', and I am psychologically running for my life on THAT account. I care not what people do, so long as it isn't anarchocapitalism (fracking, underwater fracking such as deepwater, nuclear power, monsanto etc). I do care that I cannot grow a spiritual whisker without some 'Christian' telling me I am somehow in 'satan'. Damaged beyond foreseeable repair.

Thank you Jeebus, I bet you never saw it coming~the thing they would do to your work. After all, Jeebus is 'God'.
edit on 28-4-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

By the time he merely mentioned the bible, people started getting up and walking out, before he even got the "meat" of his point, the simple mere mention of the bible had them react from manufactured outrage. The funny thing is, as someone who does his best to follow Christ's teaching myself, I was not insulted, belittled, or offended y what he said. Mr. Savage was not belittling or insulting a whole religion, only pointing out the hypocrisy of those who use the bible as an excuse to abuse belittle and hurt other people, and he gave specific examples of his experiences as a gay man. I utterly agree with his points, and feel people who use the bible as a means to excuse their abuse of others are acting in the most unchristian like manner, regardless of what they call themselves.

I could call myself many things, but if I did not actually follow that way Of life, I would not be what I claimed to be.

link   
..Yea, a LOT of that was uncalled for. I'm not Christian or of any religion of any kind, but I accept them so long as they don't think bad things about others for their otherwise innocent ways. I have a Christian friend who is female and dating another female. Not every Christian is going to believe in the unfair crap in the bible. This guy's rants got assaulting. Who allowed him to be that way, anyway?

link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

The guy seems to be pro gay, not anti bullying. Gay people are not the only ones that get bullied, so trying to blame a holybook for all the bullying problems is just nonesense. He has a personal chip on his shoulder, and takes it out on a whole religion, in front of a bunch of young teens, because of the actions of a few people in that religion... Yeah, that's a totally antibully thing to do. Act just like a bully.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Christian faith than the average "christian" especially the "right wing flavour".

So you think that "left wing" Christians have a better understanding of scripture than "right wing" conservatives? That is real interesting. I'd love for you to post the scientific study that came from. And do you consider yourself a "left wing" type Christian who knows scripture better than others?
Let's try an experiment. Can you give me your expert explanation as to why Paul tells the Corinthians to be our brother's keeper AND that every man shall bear his own burden in the same address? I can't wait to hear your answer.
edit on 28-4-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I dislike both Atheist and Religious fundamentalist. This two groups aways try to push their ideas on others . How are Christians under attack if they are a Majority ? It seems any hint of apposition to their life style will be looked as a attack.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

The simple fact is that the right wing also tend to be right wing christians who would have everyone forced to "see it their way", that is something you cannot avoid, no matter how much you attempt to manufacture outrage at it.

I will say not all that subscribe to right wing politics are right wing christians, nor even christian, the same can be said for people of faith, not all those that call themselves christian are right wing, or subscribe to right wing politics.

I have made posts before quoting studies that showed those with right wing political beliefs as a majority tend to also subscribe to right wing christian beliefs. I do not have that source handy, but will look for it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Why is this dangerous? I think the same way. I'm not militant. I just realize that most people are too weak to examine reality. I try to change those around me to be more enjoyable as company. However, I'm pretty sure those same people would sell me out in an instant in the name of their god. Their volcano god was taken from them and revoiced by atheists with ill intent. They ironically follow the commands of atheists pretending to be holy men. They are being controlled for the farming and detriment of everyone else. Because they are told this is approved by god, they will fight to be in this position. It's absolutely disgusting. I blame the religious leaders more that the followers, for the followers are weak and the leaders are strong. It wouldn't work without this dynamic.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
Yea this guy read the bible cover to cover. I too once read the bible cover to cover. When I was done, I set it down and a little inner voice asked me "so what did you learn"? I couldn't think of a single thing.
The next day I began reading again. Though this time with great care and discernment. Inside that book I found great peace. Indeed, my entire life changed. This man may have read the Bible but he really didn't "read" it.

When I was young I was also bullied. I was full of anger for many years, and even considered going back to that small town and do a job on the guy that caused me so much grief. Believe I am more than able and had great desire to get even. But something changed me...just a little..enough..
That very same bible this bullied fellow cursed is the one that caused me to overlook, forgive, and move ahead with my life. It is always best to forgive, and do that which is just good and right.
You cannot purge hate with hate. Anger will only breed anger. Neither love nor peace can result from them.
To this man who has obviously been deeply hurt and damaged I would say.
If you try to read the Word of God with the spirit of anger in your heart, the only thing you will gain is to become a more prolific reader; You will gain nothing from it.
DH

There are alot of good books that dont have terrible things in them that will fill you with peace and much much more.

Reading all of that over and over, and then over analyze it, thats gotta cause some sort of loss with reality.

Is the bible a brainwashing book that has given its believers a false sense of reality?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I bet it was staged, they knew he was going to be there, they knew the topic so they needed to set up the camera just so..

Read the comments to the video, evangelicals showing us there true colors!!! Is this what it means to be Christian?

edit on 28-4-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

with all due respect, please use punctuation, spacing, and paragraphs, I really would like to read your post, but after about the first 5 lines I started to go cross-eyed. your post is near impossible to read, so your point becomes lost.

ETA: While I was making this post, you did edit yours to make it readable, thank you.
edit on 4/28/2012 by RyanFromCan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I thought he made some very good points, and challenged some very engrained ideas. Perhaps his language was a little strong, but nothing a modern day teen couldn't handle. Further more he was not faulting anyone for being Christian, just faulting those who use Christian beliefs to justify bullying. There is a big difference there.

As for the kids that walked out, well, sure they have every right to do that, but what did they have to really fear, a new way of looking at things? If they were so sure of what they believe, why should they fear hearing an opposing argument?

This is a fox news fabrication IMO, again maybe he shouldn't have called anyone names, but I felt like he went there just because he was feeling passionate about his points, and was upset that some many people in the audience wouldn't give him the respect to at least listen.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Things people get bullied for besides being gay:

acne
skinny legs
red hair
lisp
buck teeth
short
tall
fat
loud
low IQ
high IQ
religion
diet
athletic ability (or lack thereof)
pale skin
dark skin
bad breath

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. These are all human conditions. Teaching civility is the answer.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If you want to get religious folks to accept you, you don't do it by acting like a biggot towards their beliefs. Getting up on stage and calling their holybook bull#, is not a bright idea if you want them to practice more tolerance. How people can't see that is beyond me. Maybe he really wants bullying to keep going or something, to further his political agenda.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
But the problem is extremists from both sides DO try to impose their views onto others. Teaching gay history in schools, demanding kindergartners read books about gay families etc. I don't even need to regurgitate all the things that SOME Christians do. It goes both ways. Why do we ALWAYS let the extremists set the agenda and determine the dialog? Why can't we leave some things to our home life and just live and let live?

It seems these days that someone ALWAYS wants to be the winner and shut up the person with the differing view point. This is a road to hell for all of us. Our society will crumble if we allow this kind of intolerance from either camp.

There is not just one way or the other way. Why do you let the lunatic right/left paradigm determine the direction of our national conversation? We have a choice to live and let live here people. Anyone who pushes us beyond civility is the one we ought to all be questioning.

You're not really compairing Dan Savage with religious fundamental extremist wackos are you?

"Bull-Sh!t" and "Pansy-Ass" are the extreme of his side, and you think thats bad? Not the best argument.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Is it only me that noticed that only about 15 people left his speach, and that he got lots of applause and support for what he said ?
He stated what every intelligent person knows about religious books, that those doesn´t apply to todays society ...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Anyone who can show the hypocrisy of the Bible is okay in my book.

Pun intended.

Except for his cursing at a high school.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join