It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State officials shut down shrimping in Gulf amid scientists finding deformities and ‘horrifying cr

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+61 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Alarmed by widespread reports of visibly sick, deformed seafood coming out of the Gulf of Mexico, state officials have closed area waters to shrimping this morning (April 23). The waters will be closed indefinitely as scientists run tests in an effort to get a handle on a situation that is fast becoming a full-blown crisis on the Gulf Coast.

We've recently had a good thread about this subject from our fellow ATS member loam.

Well now they're shutting down fishing areas.

The closures – including all waters in the Mississippi Sound, Mobile Bay, areas of Bon Secour, Wolf Bay and Little Lagoon – mark the first official step in responding to increasingly urgent reports from fishermen and scientists of grotesquely disfigured seafood from Louisiana to the Florida panhandle.

I am deeply saddened but not surprised by the shrimping closures. I applaud the courageous move by state officials to put consumer safety first. There’s no doubt in my mind – as I’ve said for months on end – that seafood coming out of the Gulf of Mexico is unfit for human consumption.

Should have thought of that consumer safety when spraying massive amounts of Corexit, to save a major coorporation (BP) millions of dollars.

So stay away from Seafood, especially that from the Gulf and/or Japan.

You know it's bad when even the 'officials' admit there's a problem.

source

Thread by loam
edit on 27-4-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

+113 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
When the EPA told BP to stop dumping the corexit, BP told them no and kept right on doing it.

So the government bowed out and let BP do what it wanted. Yet if you or I were to dump a quart of motor oil in a storm drain, we would be fined big money and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

The whole time this disaster was happening, my husband had the live cam showing the blown well on his computer, and he stated that they were handling it all wrong from the beginning, and the way they kept playing with different caps and such was an obvious failure. My husband's family has been dealing with oil since the 1940s when his family drilled some successful wells in west Texas, so he understands oil and wells.

He feels it was done on purpose, to sabotage the Gulf, and I have to agree with him. By allowing the oil to flow unchecked, and then dumping a crap-ton of corexit into the waters, BP effectively killed the shrimping and seafood industry in the area.

Once it is deemed unfit for human consumption, the oil companies can drill, baby, drill, without any more worries about some pesky family shrimping business suing. It will be a dead zone, so the government cannot deny permits for deep-water drilling for fear of damaging the environment, because it's already destroyed.

Diabolical, evil, and totally on purpose.

+26 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The more I get in touch with nature. . , and animals.

The more I am sickened by what we as a species do to our cousins.

The loss of every thing similar and natural for comfort is a very high price.

peace

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
looks like you left everyone speechless on this one. I am glad the local states are doing this as the government is standing back... didn't BP just settle law suits the other day? and now after they are in the clear they do this? poor shrimping industry. .

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Ain't Capitalism Great?

USA USA USA

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipperJohn
looks like you left everyone speechless on this one. I am glad the local states are doing this as the government is standing back... didn't BP just settle law suits the other day? and now after they are in the clear they do this? poor shrimping industry. .

Poor shrimping industry? Try poor everyone that has lived and sustained themselves with the Gulf. Its not just the shrimping industry.

I believe BP settled with the collective group of business people that are now devastated by the spill and will more than likely never be able to do what their families have done for generations. Their back yards have been ruined. And yet BP still exists.

When will we wake up and tell America enough is enough?

But then again, what can we do??

Vote?

pfft....I want to move to Denmark.

edit on 27-4-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
When the EPA told BP to stop dumping the corexit, BP told them no and kept right on doing it.

So the government bowed out and let BP do what it wanted. Yet if you or I were to dump a quart of motor oil in a storm drain, we would be fined big money and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

The whole time this disaster was happening, my husband had the live cam showing the blown well on his computer, and he stated that they were handling it all wrong from the beginning, and the way they kept playing with different caps and such was an obvious failure. My husband's family has been dealing with oil since the 1940s when his family drilled some successful wells in west Texas, so he understands oil and wells.

He feels it was done on purpose, to sabotage the Gulf, and I have to agree with him. By allowing the oil to flow unchecked, and then dumping a crap-ton of corexit into the waters, BP effectively killed the shrimping and seafood industry in the area.

Once it is deemed unfit for human consumption, the oil companies can drill, baby, drill, without any more worries about some pesky family shrimping business suing. It will be a dead zone, so the government cannot deny permits for deep-water drilling for fear of damaging the environment, because it's already destroyed.

Diabolical, evil, and totally on purpose.

I never considered that angle...

That is how "they" work, so it makes total sense.

If oil permits start flying and we see lots of drilling take place in the gulf, I pray that we get a hurricane season with 5 category 5 storms that decimate the oil industry.
That will teach em to f**k with nature.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

He feels it was done on purpose, to sabotage the Gulf, and I have to agree with him. By allowing the oil to flow unchecked, and then dumping a crap-ton of corexit into the waters, BP effectively killed the shrimping and seafood industry in the area. Once it is deemed unfit for human consumption, the oil companies can drill, baby, drill, without any more worries about some pesky family shrimping business suing. It will be a dead zone, so the government cannot deny permits for deep-water drilling for fear of damaging the environment, because it's already destroyed.

I never heard this theory, or thought of it that way, but that might very well be true.

Very good insight.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

If oil permits start flying and we see lots of drilling take place in the gulf, I pray that we get a hurricane season with 5 category 5 storms that decimate the oil industry. That will teach em to f**k with nature.

Kill the oil industry and completely decimate the coastline with toxic storm surges breaking the levees??? Lets not wish that to happen.

What we need is a revolution.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
On top of destroying small farms and the gulf what more do they plan on doing to destroy the country?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I agree with the above poster that there is an entity with a larger objective in mind.

As I see it, that objective is the complete and utter destruction of the United States.

The monster is so big that it can no longer be controlled.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

What we need is a revolution.

I don't disagree, but the chances of the hurricanes is greater than people getting off their asses to stop watching Amerian Idol or twittering on their iPhones to start a revolution.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
On top of destroying small farms and the gulf what more do they plan on doing to destroy the country?

Another thing that the gov./BP ignores is the number of people in those areas with health problems. That goes on unnoticed too by TPTB. Not only the clean up workers but some of the residents as well. Damn BP and the gov.!!!
They should never have used that corexit crap!!! How many years will it take to cleanse the waters around there? 100 yrs., maybe? If then.....maybe longer.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

Yes, I can agree with that. It is bigger than just the greed wanting unchecked access to the rich oil deposits in the Gulf. This "accident" (and I use that term loosely) also had the effect of destroying the entire economy along the Gulf from east Texas all the way to Florida.

The bigger picture may be a piece-by-piece destruction of various industrial centers. First the automotive center in Detroit, then the mighty fishing and shrimping industry in the Gulf, then the buying up of farmland throughout the central US, California and Florida. Pretty soon we'll be another third world country with no major industry to call our own, and all our farmland and factories owned by foreign entities.

Voting only serves to keep more bastards in office. Something more needs to be done.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Inncorrect they didn't shut it down because of the reasons you have listed!!!!

From the link if you followed to the source and it gives you the reasons for shutting down the fisheries!!!

The areas include all waters in the Mississippi Sound, Mobile Bay, areas of Bon Secour, Wolf Bay, and Little Lagoon. The closure is in response to routine shrimp sampling that indicated the average size were smaller than 68 head-on shrimp per pound. Meaning biologists found smaller than average shrimp in the waters causing the temporary closure. They will continue to take samples in these areas and determine any modifications to the closures.

And we'd like to clarify that the closures were not due to lesions being found on shrimp as we reported earlier this weekend and Monday morning.

Link to original story, this link is on the page from the op:

WEAR ABC 3

The government and the press is still lying to you!!!! Nothing was mentioned about deformities or horrifying anything!!!
edit on 27-4-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Nice cover story.

Sort of like "No, Fukushima is not contaminating the planet."

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

Here is the correction:

CORRECTION: On April 21, ABC affiliate WEAR-TV, which covers Pensacola, Moblie and Fort Walton, reported on its website that some areas of the Gulf were being closed on the morning of April 23 due to concerns over the presence of smaller-than-normal shrimp and shrimp with “lesions.” That report was in line with a multitude of other recent mainstream media reports – from the Associated Press, Al Jazeera and others (see links to articles at bottom) – of severely deformed seafood coming out of the Gulf of Mexico. The deformities – confirmed by local fishermen, seafood processors and scientists alike – include shrimp with no eyes, shrimp with tumors, red snapper and grouper with deep lesions and underdeveloped blue crabs without claws (see video below).

We picked up the WEAR-TV report and published an April 23 post entitled, “Looming Crisis: Officials Close Gulf Waters to Shrimping as Reports of Deformed Seafood Intensify.” Unfortunately, the WEAR-TV report turned out to be incorrect. The ABC affiliate has pulled the initial report and replaced it with this correction dated April 25:

Editorial Correction:

There is still a ton of conspiracy here, but the closing are not related to the reports of deformities and other horrific things that are most likely true, but will never be admitted by government, much less promoted by the press.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

:shk:

however, don't ever suggest that BP executives and stockholders
should be hunted down and killed
as a threat to humanity

that will get you labeled as a terrorist

not surprising that the tune was changed

after all it's all connected

youtu.be...
i'm posting it both ways as when i went to my YT channel
next to the video it says video blocked worldwide
if neither work just google "conspiracy rock"

video reveals relationship between big corps like GE and media and how the latter covers up/censors
news that the parent company doesn't want getting out
any body wants a copy u2u me

oh and F&S

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
When I was in the Navy, ASW, P3 in the 70's, we used to fly off the gulf coast a lot, and once in a while, time permitting , we would land in New Orleans NAS and then take off for a few hours down to the shrimp docks.

We would pick out a small Mom&Pop shrimp business and make their day by buying a few hundred pounds of shrimp, right off the boat, and take it back to our home base to divy it up with the troops.

God, those days are gone, I really enjoyed talking to those folks, as they are the bread and butter of this earth. My heart goes out to them in these times, as this is all they know, and have been doing it for years. I want BP's head on a platter, like they do, but with the way the world works today, it seems that this country has forgotten them. Shame.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Its about time the poison shrimping be stopped. I haven't eaten any since the Big Problem (I hope saying that doesn't hurt ATS's advertizing and distribution).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join