It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you afford to live in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
What can you afford to live in from a mansion to a trailer home?

I can't afford a home of my own, but what about you?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Just had it painted...you can even see the painter's van to the right. Signed last October...

Took 3 years of saving and living with mom...I feel fortunate.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
My husband's income is above $90,000 but we live in a modest condo in a nice neighborhood. We decided never to purchase a home based on the very frightening way in which banks operate. It is worth it to us that the most we would ever lose should our life situation change is a month or so in rent or a security deposit.
It is sad that is has come to this. Owning a home used to be the American Dream. But after spending a year renting a home from someone that lost it to the bank, and basically going through all that (just from a renter's point of view), we said NEVER.
It is pretty versatile this way. I can stay at home with the kids, we can afford nice things, vacations, comfortable cars and we have ZERO debt. Husband has a very comfortable cushion for emergencies, and we have a lot more freedom. If we should ever find ourselves in a tighter situation (we have been there before), we can simply move to a more affordable house that someone else is responsible for..
Got a leak? Call the landlord!
Floor falls in? Call the landlord!
HOA fees? Landlord, pay them!

Of course I am not putting down everyone who is dedicated to buying their own home..whatever works for your personal needs! Just telling you why we came to our decision.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

I agree with your common sense sentiment here. We did buy a house, but we decided we would only buy at a price either one of us could afford alone. That meant half the house we could "qualify" for. As a result the house payments were very low, and now it's paid off. If people would think twice before putting themselves at risk, they wouldn't get themselves in these terrible underwater situations. Much of this hosing crisis is homeowner caused because they all felt housing prices would keep going up and up. Hello? Terrible lesson for those who had to pay for it.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by WarJohn

Just had it painted...you can even see the painter's van to the right. Signed last October...

Took 3 years of saving and living with mom...I feel fortunate.

And...just where am I supposed to put my goats...huh....

Nice home....nice colors.

Des

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
WarJohn
I live on a 140 acre farm the house is 120 years old ive put allot of work into it redoing most of the house ..
The farm has been in the family for years and i inherited it from family so i feel lucky to have it ..I raise cattle for a living the meat goes to fine restrauts in the area ..
Most of the land is pasture some for crops and parts are still wooded..
There is nothing better then the country life
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Nice to see I'm not the only one that bought a house me and the wife could afford on just one income. This to me is really the best situation if you can do it.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

We also bought a house that was payable with one income only. It is not paid off, but we are making extra payments each month. We qualified for 250k and bought at less than 100k.

Just because you are 'qualified' for a certain amount doesn't mean it's a good idea for you to spend that much. It doesn't benefit you to do so- it benefits the bank.

In addition a smaller house requires less to repair if there is a problem (think replacement cost of floors or roof, smaller means less money!) and also your AC/heat bills are less because you are air conditioning a smaller space. Benefits all around.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well....sold house in Palo Alto Ca. 15 years ago...moved to Ga Mountains, purchased land and older smaller home for cash. Now raising goats, gardening, and making my own line of natural products based on goats milk.

I used to work for a high tech firm in Santa Clara Ca., upper management.....got fed up with the rat race...am a happy goat girl and prepper now.

Des

new topics

top topics

join