It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will be attending my first Rock Concert this summer. What should I expect?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hey ATS,

First of all, this is my first time starting a thread here, so be gentile. I figured I would dabble around the off-topic forums for a bit before I dive head first into the deep end, so to speak.

I've always been a big Rock Music fan, mostly Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, and some Progressive. Favorite bands include Rush, AC/DC, Kiss, Megadeth, Motley Crue, among others.

Anyways, I'm 46 and I've never been to a live music concert. I know it must seem like I've led a deprived life considering I've missed some of the best concerts in music history. I guess I always just had the mentality of "well, why pay all that money to see a band live, when I could just listen to a record, or cassette, or CD, or whatever."

All that is changing however. I have recently bought tickets to see two of my all time favorite bands AT ONE SHOW. Kiss and Motley Crue are playing a show later this summer and I'm really excited. I wasn't going to buy tickets originally, but I found out a really good friend of the family is a gigantic Kiss fan. That, and my sister and her husband really would enjoy it as well. So I figured, what the hell, now is as good a time as any.

Having not been to a Rock concert before, I'm not sure really what to expect.

I mean, I'm not expecting anything bad to happen i.e. bad mosh pit or anything as I'm a big boy and can take care of myself in that regard. I'm expecting to have a fantastic time.

We got seats in the lawn section of the venue, which is not assigned seating, so I know we want to get there as early as possible to ensure we get the best seats possible. Anything else I should know to make this the best night possible for me and my crue?

Any veteran concert goers here who might have some advice for me?

Also, what other bands have you guys seen who put on a really good live show that you would recommend me checking out?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Rock On,
FM05

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If its a long outdoor concert, bring water indefinitely. Buying water at the concert is lame and expensive. Wear comfortable shoes as well,

Otherwise nothing much to expect depending on where you are located in the audience. If you're up front, expect mosh pits of some sort, in the back not so much. There will be drunks. There will be potsmokers. I daresay more of the latter if its an outdoor concert.

Otherwise just enjoy the tunes!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Loud music...and really really jacked up food and drink prices.

Have a wonderful time.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Flowmaster05

Just be wary of the mosh pit...

Things can get pretty nasty in there, especially if you can't hold your own in the pit... I've seen many a person sent to the hospital because they thought they could handle it...

Stay on the outskirts unless you're ready to get pumbled... good times though! There was a time i would get down and dirty in the center of the pit... Been dropped on my pumpkin a few times whilst crowd surfing...

Alas those days are behind me.

Have fun!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Loads of traffic if you don't get there early. If you drink, you should consider pounding a few in the parking lot to save money. Lines for everything will probably be really long also.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A show like that, the crowd is going to be very high energy.

You say you can hold your own in or around a Mosh situation but you've never seen one in real life. Stay away from those people, they tend to get REALLY violent.

Mob mentality abounds.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You're gonna be at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion, yes?

Their grass is the BOMB! And by grass, I mean actual grass, that you sit or lay on.

As far as drunk people go, they only serve wine and beer.

As far as pot smoking goes, there are a TON of staff that are constantly walking around harassing people. It'd be pretty tough to get away with.

Also, they pat down everyone on the way in, don't bring anything dumb or illegal.
edit on 27-4-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Expect some really good LOUD music and as someone else said, stay AWAY from the mosh pit.

Other than that, expect to have a hard time finding a place to park and
expect to see a lot of young kids that will make you wonder what the hell happened to your generation.

Most of all expect to feel like you should of gone to more concerts when you were younger because you will have a blast!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Thank you for your advice, bringing water would be a great idea.

We don't plan on being anywhere near a mosh pit situation, I'm assuming we could always move if one happens to form around us. Better to be safe than sorry.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yeah, we plan on staying away from any mosh pit situations could arise.

I'm a pretty big guy who could probably hold my own, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Loads of traffic if you don't get there early. If you drink, you should consider pounding a few in the parking lot to save money. Lines for everything will probably be really long also.

I got the day off from work and the other three I'm going with don't have jobs, so we plan on getting there really early.

Judging by prices at most public events anyway, we probably won't buy anything once we're inside aside from maybe a T-shirt or some other souvenir.

I'll pound one for you, my man.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto
You're gonna be at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion, yes?

Their grass is the BOMB! And by grass, I mean actual grass, that you sit or lay on.

As far as drunk people go, they only serve wine and beer.

As far as pot smoking goes, there are a TON of staff that are constantly walking around harassing people. It'd be pretty tough to get away with.

Also, they pat down everyone on the way in, don't bring anything dumb or illegal.
edit on 27-4-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

No. We'll be at the Klipsch Music Center (formerly Deer Creek) just outside of Indianapolis.

I'm pretty sure the grass setup is similar judging by what my friend said.

I don't smoke pot, but I would think it would be pretty dumb to try and do that at a public venue. I know there are people who will though.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

Most of all expect to feel like you should of gone to more concerts when you were younger because you will have a blast!

Oh, man tell me about it.

I know I'm gonna get there and it's gonna hit me like a ton how much I missed over the years.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
death disorder and meyham!!!!!

no just kidding
bring water and make sure you eat first. prices at these gigs is just stupid.
dont try to bring in booze cause they search ya. there might be a few left handed cigarettes going around!
just relax and have fun! be yourself! ive been to many shows and have never had a bad experience!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You can expect to see drug use and sex going on in the audience.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Probably wont be any real mosh pits at this show WATER is a must it cost me 6 dollars a bottle last time I went and boy oh boy I thought I had enough money to get some good shirts and what have you but spent about 100 bucks on water. It was a warped tour all day long event but all concerts are about as evil when it comes to necessities. 100 degrees on the beach in a crowd people passed out left and right from thirst and heat stroke. anyway if you want a good spot dont be afraid to push through people to get up close thats where the fun is.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Do you think they'll let me take in water, or is it going to be a no outside food/drink policy?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Flowmaster05

Expect to have a great time! I love an outdoor venue for rock concerts.
I highly recommend Santana. I saw them at the Mitchell Pavilion and it poured rain the entire time. We had brought some ponchos with us and just hunkered down and listened to them Jam. Best music I have ever heard. I would have to call it a spiritual experience. It is one of my happiest memories.

My advice to you is, check the weather forecast before you go and be prepared.

Have fun!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Seeing as it is Motley Crue and Kiss, I do not think there will be much of a pit. (depending on who is opening).
But yes, if it is an outdoor venue expect a lot of drugs in the "Lawn" area.

Otherwise, as was said before: Bring water, eat before you go and have fun.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Yep! What they said...

I went to my first concert in 1973 at the age of 16, and saw Alice Cooper at Pirates World in Dania Beach, Florida, on his Billion Dollar Babies tour...

It was epic!

I actually cried when the concert arena caught fire and burnt to the ground as they were dismantling it a couple of decades later, after Pirates World had closed its doors....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join