learn more

Prions eliminated in mice brains

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Prions eliminated in mice brains

www.kurzweilai.net

Researchers at Linköping University have found that luminescent conjugated polymers (LCPs) can render prions harmless and potentially cure fatal nerve-destroying illnesses, in addition to detecting the toxic molecules, as previously known.

The researchers and their colleagues at the University Hospital in Zürich tested the LCPs on tissue sections from the brains of mice that had been infected with prions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
There is reason for hope - I suspect...

Prions are diseased forms of normally occurring proteins in the brain. When they clump together in large aggregates, nerve cells in the surrounding area are affected, which leads to serious brain damage and a quick death. Prion illnesses can be inherited, occur spontaneously or through infection, for example through infected meat — is was the case with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), also known as “mad cow disease.” (The fourth case of BSE in the U.S. was confirmed in a dairy cow in central California by the U.S. Department of Agriculture said on Tuesday April 24.)

Prions may be responsible for much more than the atrophy of the human mind, and i think research like this shows that there may be a way to eliminate or reverse damage...

actually "curing" a condition... which is something I think most Health Care industrialists hate to hear...

I make no assertions about what this illustration means... except that it seems to show the "Effects of increased concentration of LCPs on prion protein "

If in fact this is a concrete development in research... we might dare hope someday to reverse or cure diseases like Alzheimer's.

www.kurzweilai.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Firstly, I love the stuff you find and post!

Secondly, we shouldn't be sweating death as it is a certainty and let Nature do her thing. Prions, plagues, wars, pestilience, cancers, natural disasters and such are the way our #s are thinned. Nothing to fear with any of that at all, we're supposed to die.

My Na has dementia; well over 6 figures have been spent tending to her to keep her existence up in the past 8 months and honestly she isn't living. Death will be a reward for her, but we "can't" allow that. I don't know why, she's 96, she isn't going to improve. Rather than beating the disease, we all should endeavor for our reward.

Derek

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ringlejames

Um there's more than one line there.

This is interesting. I have never heard of LCP's. I'll have to look it up. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ringlejames
reply to post by Maxmars

You need more substance to your posts op. Being a forum moderator you should know your t and c's better. NO ONE LINERS AND JUST LINKS TO OFF SITE CONTENT. The point of the site is to engage.

Theres nothing like yelling at a child to get them to stop yelling.

-The point of this site is discuss, not slam other people who try to bring something to this place only to have it ruined by people who go off topic and complain about stuff that is irrelevent to said topic. You have nothing to say- then do as I do- find another thread.

You being a fairly new member here- I thought I would hip you to that.

On Topic- This is so freaking rad.
edit on 27-4-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ringlejames
reply to post by Maxmars

You need more substance to your posts op. Being a forum moderator you should know your t and c's better. NO ONE LINERS AND JUST LINKS TO OFF SITE CONTENT. The point of the site is to engage.

I got your attention, didn't I?

Seriously though, I know that was unusually short for me.. but I suppose all I can do is hope you'll see from my postings around the board, I am rarely that "brief!"

On topic, this subject - while fascinating to me - is not something I am an expert in. So I am hoping that people like you will educate me further; hence I humbly present "an opportunity."

Edit to add: I am interested in anyone who may understand more of what that graphic shows. I understand the numbers, but not what the images represent.

edit on 27-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I responded to the o.p's first post. It was a news headline with a link. All be it that he did provide intellectual content in his next post, he being a forum moderator should know that the first post within a thread should hold substance and content giving way to thread owners own thoughts and opinions.

I thought I would dish out what ever moderator site owner and archivist for this site has done to everyone at some point in time. I being a member of this site would hate to see threads with no substance from the o.p. Hence why "they" ask the same of us and why I asked the same of him before I saw his second post.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ringlejames

Breaking Alternative news is always two posts, in the 1st post all it is, is the link and a snippet, the 2nd post is for the posters thoughts and additional links.

On topic, this is great news however I have to wonder how far the research will be allowed to progress or alternatively how effective treatment will be allowed to progress. We all know life extension is what "they" want, not cures. Thanks for sharing, OP.
edit on 27-4-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
actually "curing" a condition... which is something I think most Health Care industrialists hate to hear...

Quite the contrary, we love to hear it, it's just exceedingly difficult and rare.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

This is very cool, and I bet it will eventually save alot of peoples lives

new topics

top topics

join