It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISP's- Serious crackdown on pirates- July 12

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
First I read this story at from one source, then another and another, so it seems to be more than a rumor that downloaders will start facing serious consequences from their ISP starting July 12th.

The largest Internet service providers in the nation are gearing up to be copyright cops after all -- within months, at that. Cary Sherman, CEO of the Recording Industry Association of America, said on Wednesday that ISPs are getting ready to seriously crack down on piracy by July 12. These ISPs include Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and other bandwidth providers. What they will be looking out for is music, movies and software illegally downloaded by subscribers.

Source

Pirates beware: Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, and Time Warner, under pressure from the RIAA and White House to take a stance against illegal file-sharing, have agreed to go as far as suspending the service of customers found to be pirating content. RIAA CEO Cary Sherman broke the news yesterday to a group of top publishers, likely the only audience enthused about the development, and said the new anti-piracy measures will take effect on July 12. Under the agreement, customers caught pirating can expect one or two “educational notices” presumably equating what they’re doing to bank robbery and advising them to stop. If those consumers don’t heed the advice, they’ll be sent additional reminders and could have their connections throttled or temporarily cut off. If there’s any good news here it’s that none of the ISPs has agreed to permanently restrict a customer’s Web access.

Yet another source
edit on 27-4-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
You can get any music off of Youtube.
You can "stream" any movie or TV show from many websites.

Who is downloading anything these days? Audio can be pulled from YT videos and saved to mp3 format. No downloading necessary anymore. File sharing networks are obsolete for movies and music.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Thanks for the catch, I hadn't seen this and the site I mod at will need to know about this to plan for whatever extra attention we need to pay that someone doesn't drop a violation into the site to pull a Gotcha.

When will they give up? Do they need to become a commercial shadow of what they used to be? Is near ruin what it'll take to realize that times have changed and changing isn't optional?? Google started as a few computers on a table top in a University backwater. Now they are among, if not THE most wealthy organizations the world has ever seen or known. All they did was see the changes and get out front to lead the parade.

These "enforcers" would do well to stop making enemies of their own customers and find ways to market TO those customers in news ways they'll bite on. I've personally never preferred downloaded music (waaayyy back when I might have done such a dastardly deed) The quality is sketchy, the version is a crap shoot and mega tags are never complete and only accurate half the time for what IS there. I'd be HAPPY to pay $.50 a song, for instance.

I won't..EVER...pay $15-$20 or more for a whole package of music on a disk when 1 or 2 songs are literally ALL I want or will EVER want from that collection. Like Eminem. I love his music..for about 5 songs. Everything else? I'm no hip hop fan. Why should I pay for 90% garbage to get the 1 or 2 songs? Oh well.. (Hops off soapbox)

Thanks again for the info..I shall hop off and spread the bad word to be ready. They're about to nit-pick everyone to death, once again.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Well, plenty still download.. Go to that one site, that I wont name on here and see how many seeds you find for a popular "item"

When will they give up?

wrabbit, theyll never give up but theyll never stop it either.

I will most likely get targeted and or throttled down. My B/W usage so far this month is
April 2012 (Incoming: 189524 MB / Outgoing: 45421 MB)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Yeah, if you like listening to songs at low bitrates and not getting full 1080p quality movies.....

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Well, plenty still download.. Go to that one site, that I wont name on here and see how many seeds you find for a popular "item"

Well those people are in for a good time soon. Gotta keep up with the times.

Been years since I downloaded anything like that, but I'm about to watch Avengers in my pajamas in a little bit. Don't have to download it, just let the stream load and deal with less than crisp DVD quality.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter

Yeah, if you like listening to songs at low bitrates and not getting full 1080p quality movies.....

I'll live... and save a fortune every year, that we can spend on the kids' needs and enjoyments.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Good... People will stop using new world order internet company's like time Warner cable and use a ISP that keeps user information private.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

And which ones might those be?

All of them seem to bow down to the entertainment industry.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Good... People will stop using new world order internet company's like time Warner cable and use a ISP that keeps user information private.

Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, and Time Warner

HAHAHA like they have not been doing this
already!
Everyone of these companies have
already let them get there info pulled and sued...

If comcast is the only high speed option
or time warner ect. hard to switch providers
if that is all you can get..

It is legal for me to download software,
music, and movies i have bought,
as legal back up's.. All i download
is back ups for things i have bought!!
i should not be labeled a *pirate* neither should you
these draconian measures make me sick
getting innocent people mixed up with their crap

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

For what it's worth, my neighbor got more than one warning letter from his ISP and it's one included in this big effort. They weren't as much direct warnings as if they cared about the material he downloaded...but warnings that Movie and Record lawyers were snooping and demanding his IP and Customer details...which the letters said they refused to supply.

It would seem that is changing now and that DOES represent enough of a change to be very aware of lest someone find out the hard way with 6 digits in the dollar amount.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

For what it's worth, my neighbor got more than one warning letter from his ISP and it's one included in this big effort. They weren't as much direct warnings as if they cared about the material he downloaded...but warnings that Movie and Record lawyers were snooping and demanding his IP and Customer details...which the letters said they refused to supply.

It would seem that is changing now and that DOES represent enough of a change to be very aware of lest someone find out the hard way with 6 digits in the dollar amount.

yup the bad guys
always ruin it for
us...Getting to the point
where are legal rights mean
nothing.. It is my right to be able
to legally download back ups
but is it worth the trouble?
I agree rabbit it is not

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It looks like our wild west days of freedom are over. Personally I don't have much use for piracy networks anymore. Over the years I've downloaded thousands of dollars worth of software, music, films, and applications. I've realized life is too short to waste it on digital media. The only worth Piratebay and it's friends seem able to provide are 3D printing of "copyrighted" objects and intelligence sharing. Once corporations realize they are losing money, they find a way to plug the hole. Eventually we will find another hole.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by questforevidence

Personally, I get a lot of use out of them but thats just me. I dont listen to much music but I probably have around 100 gbs of movies stored on two different computers. I stream them to my xbox using tversity, then watch them on my HDTV

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

yup the bad guys
always ruin it for
us...Getting to the point
where are legal rights mean
nothing.. It is my right to be able
to legally download back ups
but is it worth the trouble?
I agree rabbit it is not

I hear you there. I really don't understand it either. I get the public reasoning, but what is the point of infuriating their own customers?? I have a little boy who is just murder on DVD's, so, in accordance with the laws, I have software I've purchased which updates at least once a week and makes a perfect 1:1 BACKUP of my commercially purchased disks. Parents everywhere need that as standard issue in this disk filled lives of our kids.

Is it legal? No? I don't even know for SURE anymore. It's supposed to be under Fair Use..but then..maybe not? The fact I can't pull one link. read the right paragraph and know with 100% certainty in ONE spot is the whole problem huh?

Of course...that software I'm describing also has those updates I mentioned...a few times a month and for DVD/Blu-Ray alike. If a entirely NEW protection scheme breaks? It's generally updated specific to that movie, BY NAME by the time I get around to driving down to a redbox and renting it. No..not to copy it.. I really only backup what I've bought....but the point is that ALL their hassle and trouble and crap they throw onto the consumers is defeated and bypassed by a legal piece of software inside 1 week of release in almost EVERY case.

Why bother making our lives hell when you, I and everyone else really WANT to do things the right way, for the most part??
edit on 27-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I had something like 30,000 mp3 files, about 300 movies (mostly Hollywood, with the occasional foreign film), Windows Office 2003/2010, Windows 98/XP/7, Backtrack Linux, probably $5000 in hacking/networking software (ZeusBot, Core Impact, etc), and probably 3,000 PDF and CHM files on everything (legal and illegal) you could imagine. All those files fit on a 250GB external drive and a 400GB Linux external drive. I've narrowed this down to the bare essentials. I have 3 albums a month, 1 main film and 1 personal film per month, hardly any software, and about 300 PDF documents on personal training. It's been a long journey. I used to collect every file I thought I would find useful, you know? One document on building construction, another educational video about drug runners in Mexico. I eventually realized I wouldn't live long enough to experience all of it, so I prioritized.
edit on 27-4-2012 by questforevidence because:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
They call pirates greedy yet even during years that they have record profits, they still say that they are being "hurt" by downloaders. pfft

Movie executives see record profits, salaries despite piracy fear-mongering

Source

Movie industry lobbyists like to say that online piracy costs their clients billions of dollars every year, and it’s getting worse — but that’s doesn’t quite seem to be the case, according to data released this week by the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS). The CRS report (embedded below) shows that the movie industry is doing very well, earning record profits and paying executives more than ever, even as it hires fewer workers than it did just a decade ago. Although a recent National Crime Prevention Council ad campaign tries to make the point that piracy kills jobs, the CRS found that total gross revenues and box office receipts have doubled in the last 15 years. Grosses went from $52.8 billion in 1995 to $104.4 billion in 2009, while box office receipts went from $5.3 billion in 1995 to $10.6 billion in 2010 — yet hiring still went down. One thing that has gone up, higher than ever, is executive pay.

Another

Warner Bros., Right After Announcing Record Profits, Pleads Poverty In Asking People To Support 'Grassroots' Campaign For E-PARASITE Act from the that's-chutzpah dept It appears that the big Hollywood studios/MPAA have absolutely no shame. Thankfully, employees at some of those companies recognize just how ridiculous their employers look and have been passing along some details. On Wednesday, Warner Bros. announced third quarter profits (not revenue) of $822 million, representing a 57% increase on last year. Revenues were $7.07 billion, 11% higher than last year. The company sent out an email to employees talking about how it was "another record" quarter for the company. Then, very soon after that email went out, another email went out, telling employees about how difficult life was at Warner Bros. these days due to the scourge of "content theft," and urging people to support the astroturfing group CreativeAmerica.

We need a "worlds smallest violin" emoticon for things like this

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Just one very minor correction:

RIAA and ISPs to police your traffic this summer (updated)

Update: The RIAA tells us that Cary Sherman "did not say July 12," as reported by CNET, and that the system will begin sometime in the second quarter of the year as ISPs get their own infrastructure online.

Not that it mattes. It's just that there's no exact set date....

top topics

join