It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Makes The Holy Grail A Holy Grail?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
What exactly is it that makes the Holy Grail the Holy Grail?

Is it a cup that Jesus drank out of? Or that it happened at his last supper?

If it's just a cup that he drank out of, they why is there only one one Holy Grail? Think about it, if that's all that is that makes it the Holy Grail, that he just drank out of it, why is there only one Holy Grail and not multiple Holy Grails? For that matter, why aren't there any other holy dishes that he ate out of or holy utensils that he ate with?

For that matter, why aren't there a lot more holy artifacts, such as clothing?

It seems to me that there should be a lot more artifacts that are associated with him, and that a lot of them are missing.

For example, the crown of thorns should be a holy artifact of some sort, and the clothes he wore while on the cross would have his blood on it. Where are they and why are they not considered holy artifacts?

We still have the Titulous, or headboard of Christ, as a holy artifact.

It just seems to me there should be a lot more holy artifacts from Jesus himself than we have.

edit on 27-4-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

My guess is that the grail was used to capture his blood and it was stored in the ark and protected by the knights templar.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Actually no, the Holy Grail is the cup Jesus used at his last supper. And there is nothing in the Bible that says a cup was used to collect his blood, at least as far as I know.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by deadeyedick

Actually no, the Holy Grail is the cup Jesus used at his last supper. And there is nothing in the Bible that says a cup was used to collect his blood, at least as far as I know.

Exactly. This blood colect was invented by Dan Brown in his novel ''Da Vinci Code''. Dan tried to introduce the idea of that, and many things too.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
There's nothing "holy" about objects, thats roman catholic crap and it leads into idolatry. Magic water, magic beads, magical "spear of destiny", preserved hearts of dead "saints", magical medallions of "St. Christopher", magical Jesus cookie that grants immortality. All foolishness and everyone of them leads to believing objects have power and it's all b.s.

I could go into further detail but the people who need to hear this refuse to hear it, so i'm not gonna waste my effort.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Actually no, it stems from Arthurian legends and is older than America. Dan Brown didn't invent it.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Yes, that's true, I remeber now. There was a castle, with the Holy Grail inside it, and everyone would try going into the castle, but as long as they were not pure, a kind of laser-like light would kill them. But someone succeeded, and he described the taste of the Grail as ''having all the spices in the World''.
Funny fact about the Holy Grail.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I would appreciate more input on this question please.

I thought there'd be more people interested in this subject.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I would appreciate more input on this question please.

I thought there'd be more people interested in this subject.

I'm interested....and thanks for the OP, ESC.....flag/star....

I know something of the holy grail story....but need to review it.

Supposedly, the Holy Grail was a cup that Joseph of Arimathea brought to England......
there are many sources to look into.
There is a place in Glastonbury, England that is a sort of "well" or "vault" that supposedly holds it.
My understanding is that it was the cup from the Last Supper....
in legend....
and that he (J of A) also planted a starter of a tree that still lives....
I'll have to go back and look at the sources from where this concept came into my brain....
but yeah...
Interesting subject.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
1 John 5:6 >>
This is the one who came by water and blood--Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth.
John 19:34 Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Okay, ESC, I'm back.
Short answer: medieval legends. Nothing from the time of Christ. It was a work of fiction.

"The Holy Grail" concept was invented by a medieval author named Boron, who wrote a poem about Joseph of Arimathea. Originally it was just a "grail" -- a vessel used in a procession

Robert de Boron is the first author to give the Holy Grail myth an explicitly Christian dimension.

According to him, Joseph of Arimathea used the Grail (the Last Supper vessel) to catch the last drops of blood from Jesus's body as he hung on the cross. Joseph's family brought the Grail to the vaus d'Avaron, the valleys of Avaron in the west, which later poets changed to Avalon, identified with Glastonbury, where they guarded it until the rise of King Arthur and the coming of Perceval. Robert also introduced a "Rich Fisher" variation on the Fisher King.

Robert de Boron is also credited with introducing Merlin as the son of the Antichrist.
Robert de Boron wiki entry
So, it is another in a long line of romantic notion invented by a creative guy. He was French.

Now, considering the French and English have never gotten along (sheesh), and harbored animosity for one another, why would he do that? Hmmm. Good question....think I'll try to find out!

There are other versions of what is the Holy Grail, also:

The Holy Grail is a dish, plate, stone, or cup around which an important theme of Arthurian literature revolves. A grail, wondrous but not explicitly "holy", first appears in Perceval le Gallois, an unfinished romance by Chrétien de Troyes:[1]

it is a processional salver used to serve at a feast. Chretien's story attracted many continuators, translators and interpreters in the later 12th and early 13th centuries, including Wolfram von Eschenbach, who makes the grail a great precious stone that fell from the sky.

The Grail legend became interwoven with legends of the Holy Chalice.[2] The connection with Joseph of Arimathea and with vessels associated with the Last Supper and crucifixion of Jesus, dates from Robert de Boron's Joseph d'Arimathie (late 12th century) in which Joseph receives the Grail from an apparition of Jesus and sends it with his followers to Great Britain.

Building upon this theme, later writers recounted how Joseph used the Grail to catch Christ's blood while interring him and how he founded a line of guardians to keep it safe in Britain. The legend may combine Christian lore with a Celtic myth of a cauldron endowed with special powers.

Holy Grail wiki entry

The Legend of the Holy Grail Gallery on bbc.co.uk

The Grail as a magical object

We are at the feast at the end of a German version of the Grail story, when Parzival (the German name for Perceval) has become King of the Grail. He and his wife have name scrolls, which have been left blank. Anfortas, the Fisher King, sits on his right, wearing a broad hat (perhaps a traditional fisherman’s hat), while in the foreground smaller figures bring cups to be filled by the Grail.
The Grail itself is carried by the second of these smaller figures on the left, who holds it on a precious cloth. It is neither a cup nor a dish, but a strange and magical stone. As usual, there are minor changes from the text. Where the cloth is specified as green, the artist has clearly made it gold.

Wolfram von Eschenbach used Chrétien de Troyes' work as the basis for a very original version of the Grail story in the early 13th century.

The Grail stone is of heavenly origin, and its history goes back to the rebellion of Lucifer against God. In other words, the Grail belongs to Christian mythology rather than the story told in the New Testament.

Fun answer:

(And, yes, the castle in the first part of the taunting DOES exist. I've been there. Have pictures, too. It's in Stirling, Scotland.
)Doune Castle
edit on 30-4-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

The versus AFTER John 19: 34 doesn't say anything about a Holy Grail:

35 And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.

36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.
37 And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.

38 And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus.

39 And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.

40 Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.

42 There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

And there is no mention of it in 1 John Chapter 5 either.

new topics

top topics

join