Space Law Expert: Before First Asteroids Are Mined, Legal Framework Must Be Improved

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

awesome. but do they take the concerns of the people direct to the un? and what about a commonwealth version?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
It would cost any organization trillions of dollars just to get to the asteroid belt and to mine it, and get back. At that point, I say more power to them, they'll need to mine for decades before they start to see any return on investment. There's more mass in the asteroid belt than there is here on the earth, so it's not like we're squabbling over a limited resource. (The moon is another story, and just from a purely romantic notion I'd prefer not to see it mined at all, except only as necessary in building a colony.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceBoy97

The governments of the world. tptb. the big shots. The guys that run this town. those who are above the law because they are the law. thats what "they" are my good friend.

Have you ever considered acquiring the skills that would allow you to join the team, rather than letting your envy consume you?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

awesome. but do they take the concerns of the people direct to the un? and what about a commonwealth version?

They are the UN; as such, they are dominated by small, underdeveloped countries that are envious of the achievements of the major powers... not just the US, but Europe, Russia, China and India. These small countries depend upon extractive industries like oil and mining to support their economies. They will do everything in their power to make asteroid mining illegal.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Good. The treaty needs to be rewritten.

We need to encourage commercial enterprise in space. That means the ability to stake claim to real estate on planets and asteroids.

If we don't we'll keep bumbling around on earth until we get swiped by an asteroid and exterminated. No serious expansion to space will ever get done on the basis of pure philanthropy as we simply are not wired that way.

Bring it on.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

The governments of the world. tptb. the big shots. The guys that run this town. those who are above the law because they are the law. thats what "they" are my good friend.

Have you ever considered acquiring the skills that would allow you to join the team, rather than letting your envy consume you?

Who said i envied them. i feel sorry for the buggers. having all that responsibility on their shoulders. If something goes wrong who do you thing the public will blame mate. I bet they're so busy they cant sit down and have a decent good old dogeye.

thats aussie lingo for pie

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

why would they make it illegal to mine asteroids when the resources aquired from there could support their economy.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

i agree the treaty does need to be rewritten. including some matters i posted on before in this thread that i will not state so we dont get off topic.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

why would they make it illegal to mine asteroids when the resources aquired from there could support their economy

But it could damage the economies of countries that provide these some resources. These countries could draft a UN resolution that makes asteroid mining explicitly illegal. I doubt that the US, EU, RF or PRC would ratify it.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Get to it and land a flag on it then defend it with force or diplomacy because you now own it,if you cannot defend it it wil be taken from you,so if you cannot project that defensive offensive punch back here to earth to defend your territory then you are wasteing your time sending anything anywhere,unless you can get the support of your government or a private interest that can send Vinnie and the Boys over to protect you and your new real estate.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join