It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we not more productive?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Why do we

...criticize art, but never produce it?
...criticize law, but never practice it?
...criticize others' beliefs, but never our own?
...criticize others' practices, but shrink from criticisms of our own?

Why do we

...tell others what they did wrong, instead of showing them how to do right?
...fixate our attention on what is over there, when we ignore what is right here?
...revisit history ad nauseam, but refuse to learn from it?
...discuss the problems we face, but never take steps to solve them?

Why do we not think productively?

Why do we not act productively?

Is that so difficult?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Because we are too busy fighting. That's where our time and money go unfortunately. Hence, that's where are jobs are. Just think if all of that effort was spent on advancing the human race as a whole, without having to worry about who's going to bomb us?

Seth Mcfarland said it best...

edit on 27-4-2012 by TomServo because: (no reason given)

Although I think its unfair to pin this on Christianity. Its more fair to say "religious conflicts" of all kinds.
edit on 27-4-2012 by TomServo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Tadeusz

Homo Homini Lupus Est!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Because it's easier for people to be non-productive, argumentative, hateful, spiteful and otherwise useless.

Why is it easier for people to deride others' non-productivity while they are being non-productive by bringing up that argument? ( I'm not directing that at you....you seem to actually care)

The ultimate irony I suppose.

Sometimes I wonder about the state of things........and then I remember the good things I have in my life. My daughter, the positive goals I'm working towards and the fact that the less I am around people, the more content I am. It's not that I don't like people it's just that I'm happier when I don't have to spend a lot of time around them.

There are good one's out there, trust me...I've found a few, and when you find them do your best to draw them close to you and keep them there. Even if you have to work towards that goal, it's worth it. It could very well be the best job you ever had.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm an artist

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tadeusz

in other words "want what you have" ?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Sometimes it takes a stinging gadfly to get a horse to move. It is easy to understand things, but it is not easy for people to act upon them. I'm glad to have found a few similarly motivated people in real life, who have already began to act upon what they understand.

Although everyone is productive to some degree we should all strive to produce more. Obviously, simply being productive is not enough. You have to improve the quality of your creations by practicing. One practices art by sketching simple shapes, music by composing simple pieces, mathematics by proving simple theorems, and cooking by making simple dishes. The products may not be very useful or appealing, but you have become better at your craft in the process.

Strive to be better at something.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Because we are a flawed design.,
Humanity is bright sparks of genius, and chasms of animalistic degradation.

'Man is something to be surpassed.' - Nietzsche

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
In the last 10 years I did the following:

Switched careers 3 times.
Remarried.
Bought a farm.
Built 2 barns all by myself with my own hands.
Built a small host of sheds for various needs, workshops... again all by myself.
Cleared enough land to grow enough food on for my wife and I and our family.
Started a successful goat herd operation.
Started raising hogs, goats, chickens for our own use.
Cleared about 5 acres of land for pasture, and sawed up the wood and sold it or burned it for heat. Oh, I did it the old way with no tractor or dozers.... me and a horse...of course.
Planted a small vineyard of grapes native to NC... pick 5 gallon buckets of scuppernongs every fall.
Planted a peach orchard and a few apple trees.
Am in the process of clearing out the old raod that borders and cuts across my land.
Watched my daughter graduate high school and will soon see her graduate college.
Finished pay for some land in a neighboring county.
Bought a doublewide and a lot on an island on the IBX of NC
Planted a small orchard? of blueberry bushes.
Painted a couple of murals in churches in some local towns.
Sold pieces of art at some of the local street celebrations in local towns.
Am now researching a book I am writing on the Roanoke Valley of southside VA and northern NC.
I have driven across country with my wife and we took our time. It's a big country and we saw a herd of several thousand buffaloe out in Montana/ Wyoming Yellowstone.
We drove to Key West, New England, flew to Hawaii, and went on a mission trip to Tizimin Mexico.
In between all of that...I worked, fed animals, farmed, drove a truck for a while... did a few other mundane things we all do everyday..

So, I have been productive.... to do more would take more time and I just don't have it. Sometimes, it is nice to just relax... kick back and watch the world go by. Which reminds me of one more thing I did when I remarried and bought a farm... I moved to Mayberry.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tadeusz
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Sometimes it takes a stinging gadfly to get a horse to move. It is easy to understand things, but it is not easy for people to act upon them. I'm glad to have found a few similarly motivated people in real life, who have already began to act upon what they understand.

Although everyone is productive to some degree we should all strive to produce more. Obviously, simply being productive is not enough. You have to improve the quality of your creations by practicing. One practices art by sketching simple shapes, music by composing simple pieces, mathematics by proving simple theorems, and cooking by making simple dishes. The products may not be very useful or appealing, but you have become better at your craft in the process.

Strive to be better at something.

That's a very good definition of productivity. Don't try so hard to be better than someone else, try to be better than what you were yesterday.

Straight to the friends list for you.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
It's easier to say, than it is to do.

Everyone enjoys being an armchair critic, even if the subject they are speaking of they know nothing about.

I have said to people time and time again, judge me, step up and show me I'm wrong, or not as good as you.

Very few have actually stepped up.

Fear of failure is what keeps most of us in this rut, fear od what others will say if we slip up.

You only have to look at the visionaries of our time. Most of them were ridiculed and outcasts.

new topics

top topics

join