It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry - we will not respond to nuclear attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Kerry: No response to nuclear attack

As Michael Dukakis� Lieutenant Governor, Kerry authored an executive
order saying the state of Massachussetts would refuse to take part in any
civil defense efforts in response to a nuclear attack on America. He did
this to Massachussetts when he was in power there... What do you think
he'd do if he was President of the United States? He'd order America not
to respond to attack. He's want us to roll over and die. That's what his
record says. (Kerry said that he wants us to review his record)
Is this part of his 'sensitive war' stand? Let America's enemies attack
and obliterate us!

Lt. Gov. Kerry�s executive order on behalf of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts read in part:

�Whereas the existing and potential strength of nuclear weapons is such that nuclear war can neither be won nor survived, it can only be prevented; and Whereas the only effective defense against the horrors of nuclear weapons lies in their elimination and in the prevention of nuclear war or attacks, [the Commonwealth of Massachusetts] shall seek to ensure the safety of its citizens by pursuit of policies reflecting a serious commitment to prevention of nuclear war.�

�Such policies,� the Kerry directive continued, �shall include education of citizens concerning the real nature of nuclear war and efforts to influence national policy towards negotiation of an end to the nuclear-arms race.�

The Kerry order stated emphatically, however: �No funds shall be expended by the Commonwealth for crisis relocation planning for nuclear war.�

Monica Conyngham, Lt. Gov. Kerry�s spokeswoman at the time, defended the controversial document, telling reporters, �We believe that [evacuation] plans are absolutely futile and that there are no safehavens from nuclear war.�

Gov. Dukakis signed Kerry�s �no nuclear defense� executive order into law on June 28, 1984.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
There is a reason why some call him scarry Kerry. The man has not changed from the begining, he is an internationalist who cares more about the world than he does the U.S.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Story on Kerry as Dukakis' Lieut. Gov.
www.boston.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Sounds like a misread here...

Sounds to me like he is claiming that the building of public shelters, etc. is absolutely futile, (which it is) in the event of a nuclear attack.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
As somebody who hails from the State of Massachusetts AND has had the dubious honor of handling nuclear weapons, I feel well-qualified to to respond to this post. I have read every word of the above-posted policy very carefully, and I have yet to find one single mistruth in it. It is an enlightened and pragmatic policy. It brings to mind a few points:

1) Nuclear wars are not survivable, they are only avoidable.

2) 1 MIRVed ICBM could take out the entire state of Massachusetts, so planning for nuclear defense is a waste of money.

3) This policy was based on a request by the Reagan administration to help shoulder the costs of civil defense. Taking into account points 1 and 2 above, the people of Massachusetts decided that their money could be best spent in other areas.

And so, let me get this straight, because John Kerry decided not to spend millions of my tax dollars on bomb shelters for Ronald Reagan, and opted to spend the money in other areas like infrastructure and schools, this makes him somehow a UN whipping boy or weak on defense? This was a purely state of Massachusetts isssue - not a federal one. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Those of you who think this is sound $$$ management
are of course free to do so. However, I see this as totally
defeatest and a harbinger of a 'do nothing' defense policy
on Kerry's part.

join