It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did dinosaurs REALLY die out?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Dont know if i have put this in the correct forum, so mods please feel free to move if needed.

This thread is based purely on my own ideas, the ideas put forward are simply that, ideas.
I have no scientific or archealogical training so please bear with me. I would like anyone elses thoughts or ideas regarding the subject matter below, so here goes.

I dont believe the dinosaurs were wiped out by an asteroid or a disease, and i dont believe we evolved from monkeys either and heres why.

IF the Earth was struck by an asteroid millions of years ago that caused the sun to be blocked and cause another ice age, why are there still plants that existed in the cretacious period? surely they would have been destroyed as well, plants need sunlight for photo synthesis in order to thrive. Also there are very few fossils left on Earth to support the vast array of prehistoric life that are supposed to have been eradicated during this cataclysm.

Now i know that not all dinosaurs would have become fossils upon their demise, but the few (on a global scale) that have been uncovered, in my mind indicate another fate for our scaly ancestors. I honestly believe that they evolved and left the planet in search of a new home / in the spirit of exploration / or to conquer other worlds. And IF my idea is correct, is it so hard to imagine that our ancient lizard chums have infact now become the reptillian species that we hear so much about? Maybe the majority of the species left in whatever craft they built and a few remained, what if the few that remained split into two factions / societies and had a war for dominance of our little blue gem? The few fossils that remain, in my mind, points to an already reduced population on the planet BEFORE any extinction level event, natural or dino-made.

Maybe we ARE the product of this highly evolved form of reptillian life, maybe they needed some mineral or other metal, perhaps gold, in order to produce their ships or run their technology and in order to do this they created us as a slave workforce in order to mine the tight spaces beneath the earth. This is just my opinion, my idea or theory if you will. After all the modern consensus of opinion regarding the dinosaurs is also just a theory, its just one that has been accepted as the norm for so very long.

Onto my second point, i dont believe we evolved from monkeys for one simple reason. We still have monkeys on Earth to this day. If a species evolves from another species, then surely the original species, in this case the monkeys, would evolve out of existance. Why would only half (for arguments sake) of the monkey population evolve into modern man while the other half remained just hanging out in trees?

I welcome your thoughts and ideas on this one fellow members of ATS, and i thnkyou all in advance for your input.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
And how did dinosaurs build a spacecraft? Wooden tools?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
We didn't evolve from monkeys, we share a common ancestor with apes, but we evolved down a separate line.

As for dinosaurs, yes they went extinct, however, modern birds share certain proteins with them, which in a sense means they are still with us in a very small way.

T-Rex is now a chicken, Velociraptor is now a turkey (sort of, in that very small way I mentioned earlier).....kinda ironic when you think about it.
edit on 27/4/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I'm stuffing and baking T-rex tonight. Sage and Thyme are ancient herbs and should be eaten with T-rex

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The plant issue about surviving the ice age has a simple answer I believe. Seeds!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Dino's didn't die off totally. Something that has been on this planet as long as they had, what, some 165 million years or more? they evolved and adapted and overcame many obstacles. So I don't believe an asteroid wiped them all out. I don't believe anything ever goes truly extinct in this world ever. Maybe close, but not totally. Our world is to big not to be able to find a spot to hide in, even for the giants. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
OK. Several points here. But about the only one you're correct on is that most plants do need sunlight to survive. But what they DON'T need is oxygen. They need carbon dioxide. And during this mass extinction event, it has been proven that CO2 levels rose on earth. CO2 levels rising, means oxygen levels decreased. Counter-intuitive if you require oxygen...like large reptiles did, but beneficial if you need CO2 and not O2.

Second, Darwin was wrong. And it has been proven recently that humans did NOT evolve from monkeys. However, Humans, and modern prime-apes did evolve from the same ancestor. One which is no longer around.

Finally...dinosaurs did indeed die out. If you question this, then find me one somewhere that is living. Yes...some species like crocodiles did survive. But they are much smaller than the giant lizards back in the day. Meaning, they require less O2 than their larger cousins did, and less food than something like a T-Rex. The ones who survived did so by accident.

edit on 27-4-2012 by webpirate because: additional thoughts

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Not all the dinosaurs died out. We call what remains of them Birds.

As far as peculation about advanced dinosaurs, there'd of been evidence of tool usage by now, unless you speculate that all dinos could use telekinesis to move things with their minds, which is just silly in consideration of the castings that have been taken of the brains of Dinosaurs which show some pretty small brains.

Some of the animals were so large, and so stupid, they needed a second brain to communicate with the brain in their head, just so their hind legs could remember to move when they wanted them to.

Dinosaurs are pretty much the epitome of idiocy. A parakeet (descended from dinosaurs) is actually smarter than dinos.
How many hundreds of millions of years of evolution did the dinosaurs have, and we have parakeets as an example of what smart dinos would be like?

Humans already have some 7 million years of evolution, and lookit what we can do.

Unless some dinosaurs we don't see in the record came and went really quickly in 10 million years similar to our own timescale and developed similar to us, then, no, mt'hinks not.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hmm.. while I will not completely disagree with you, it may have been possible that a certain species of dinosaur/reptile evolved and DID become our overlords. Think about it: they were around for millions of years and it is likely some evolved intelligence, while the rest died off. It makes sense to me that evolution had its way with a certain species of dinosaurs. After all, homo sapiens have only been around maybe 50,000 years? Given enough time, we might evolve into something greater! But seeing the world today as it is.. somehow I doubt it.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm not so convinced that dinosaurs were as big as people say they were. Just because we find big bones doesn't mean they actually grew that big. They could have kept growing long after they died as long as the DNA wasn't damaged, they had an energy source, and the minerals and chemicals in the soils were right. Quicksand above an underground river possesses the energy to allow this. Even though the odds of this happening were one in a million, it is still possible. Our hair keeps growing after we die, maybe something in their genetics could allow this. I mean after all the bones have absorbed minerals throughout their structure, anything is possible. Maybe they were half the size originally.
Gotta be a little creative once in a while.
edit on 27-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Deja Vu
Wasn't there another post exactly like this?? I thought i've seen a few today.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

History always seems to repeat itself.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by shinzaun

Great thread! Star and Falg. Your theory is in fact the Reptilian's story of our phehistory: www.whale.to...

Except that in her story (the reptilian is female), the human were engineered by an unknwn specie to reptilians, not by reptilians themselves.

Bravo!

edit on 27-4-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Did dinosaurs REALLY die out?

' Officially' humans fell out of trees, broke their backs and learned to walk upright, build cars and fly in space.

' Officially' dinosaurs went extinct, except for those that grew wings and became the main course at KFC... prolly from an asteroid or two smacking the planet and/or volcanic activity.

'Unofficially' humans were manufactured from existing lifeforms for some as-yet unrealized meaning.

'Unofficially' Mkele Mbembe and Nessie still hold dino-court over a few dark, isolated locations.

Take your pick, mix & match or even write your own theory. That's what ATS is here for

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

"as yet unrealized meaning"

It's a match making machine.

Called Kismet or Fate.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm not even going to comment on the dinosaurs building spaceships idea.

I will comment on your theory that monkeys shouldn't exist if we evolved from them. First we are believed to have evolved from apes not monkeys. We are a species of ape.

If we followed your theory then gorillas, orangutans and chimpanzees should not exist either. There are hundreds of species of monkeys by the way. Which may have evolved from Lemurs which also have many varieties and species.

Somewhere along the evolution of Man we learned how to control fire which set us apart from the other creatures and allowed us to advance our abilities and intelligence. Tool building and eventually farming.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IpsissimusMagus

I think that by ''dinosaurs building ships'' he meant ''EVOLVED dinosaurs'', y'all.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
To your point of plants.
First plants can live and grow in an Ice Age, we have a frozen forest above the arctic circle.
The growth is slow but it happens.
As for now plants can survive, plants reproduce and spread using seeds.
Seeds can survive hundreds of years or more if frozen, or dried out.
It's possible for plants to survive and re populate even from one seed.
That is because plants reproduce both sexually and asexually.
Some plants such as ones that die within one year alternate one generation is sexual, the next asexual.
Some plants alternate year to year, and others do it at the same time.
Now not all plants can do this, but many can.
So that is how plants can survive a cataclysmic event.

To tackle dinosaurs I will speak to evolution not religion to debunk your theory as religion would debunk your theory too easily.
Dinosaurs is too broad a term.
They actually covered a massive time frame and the species we most associate with the classic dinosaur lived millions of years apart.
On top of that you have the size issue, big dinosaurs, small ones they aren't all one species.
Saying the dinosaurs built space ships and left is like saying all the fish in the sea left.
There is just too much biological diversity, habitat needs, size of the various species.
Relative intelligence, ability to build space ships.
Find a power source etc...
In order for your theory to work you would need to say that one maybe 3 species at the most evolved into smaller creatures of roughly humanoid size(I say humanoid size because anything bigger would need to eat almost all day and not be able to build space ships).
They then developed into an advanced civilization and found power sources and left earth.
All with no traces.
Is it technically possible yes, but multiple species evolving parallel and reaching a high level of tech on the same planet and all deciding to leave makes it less and less likely.

As far as your did or didn't evolve from monkeys I will again have to use evolutions, as just saying "religion says no" is an easy argument.
What people don't understand about evolution is there is no goal.
We are not the end product of evolution, just one of it's many pit stops.
There are many factors that influence evolution.
One of the main factors is simply geographic isolation, or migration.
The group that became humans simply was separated from the monkeys that later became what we see today.
Not to mention, we didn't evolve from the monkeys you see today.
They evolved from the same place we did, the split into the great apes, and we split into man.
We did not evolve from any current species, rather they are cousins not ancestors.

Your theories were interesting and like you said they are ideas not science.
I would suggest that you study up on various branches of science.
That way if you wish to pursue your theories you can do so with a better foundation, and make a stronger argument.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Nice....

OFFICIALLY: Mammals ONLY, ...grow fur, Bare live offspring from an internal placenta, Suckle there young.

OFFICIALLY: There are mammals that grow fur, lay eggs (like a chicken or turtle) which hatch their young, then suckle their young, have webbed feet and a ducks bill.....they are called Platypus.

So there goes the theory on Mammals.

Alligators and crocodiles are large reptiles, not Dinosaurs....Dinosaurs are NOT reptiles...just like birds are NOT reptiles. Birds evolved into what we know today...including 15' tall ones years ago..relatives to the Ostrich and Emu.

Even Trees and plant life have evolved.......modern trees are different from those of the Dinosaur period.

Never say never, when it comes to Life on Earth.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Good thoughts and good questions. We shall know someday maybe...good stuff

top topics

<<   2 >>

join