It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Virus That Really Will Kill Your PC July 9

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

The Virus That Really Will Kill Your PC July 9

[url=https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-your-computer-is-using-rogue-DNS]https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-your-computer-is-using-rogue-DNS[/ur l]

It sounds like one of those annoying chain emails that show up from technically challenged acquaintances: "The FBI Will Take Your Computer Offline July 9 If It Has A Virus! Visit This Site Immediately To Check!! Forward This To Everyone You Know!!!"
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-4-2012 by Pigraphia because: First news post, I messed up.

edit on 27-4-2012 by Pigraphia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Can the FBI really kick us offline if we have a computer virus?
The Internet while regulated by the FCC is supposed to be open for all.
We pay to access it after all, it's not like it's broadcast on public air waves.

This just seems like they are over stepping their authority.

Still y'all might want to clear the virus just in case, if it's legit.

I'm still reading up on this myself.

[url=https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-your-computer-is-using-rogue-DNS]https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-your-computer-is-using-rogue-DNS[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27-4-2012 by Pigraphia because: trying to fix link issue.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
No virus can destroy what a new hard drive will fix.

That's of course worst case scenario when all virus remedies fail.
Used 20-40 gig hard drives are practically free, have some spares on hand just in case anything gets through to your cpu, easy swap out and back online in minutes.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Mods can I get some help here?

I put the link in the news submission page and the link just isn't coming out right.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

this

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia
I'm still reading up on this myself.

If you'd taken the time to read up on it before posting a new thread, and actually read all the other threeads that already exist on the topic, then you'd know that if it wasnt for the *help* of the FBI, the computers that had this trojan would already be "offline".

For the people who had their computers compromised, the FBI has been doing them a favor by owning the target domain name server that the hackers previously had control over.

Holding people's hands cant last forever, and at some point in the future the people with compromised computers are going to have to learn to deal with it. And clean their computers of this infection.

That date is July 9th.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

No virus can destroy what a new hard drive will fix. That's of course worst case scenario when all virus remedies fail. Used 20-40 gig hard drives are practically free, have some spares on hand just in case anything gets through to your cpu, easy swap out and back online in minutes.

Well, many virus programs will stay resident in memory, so even if you swap the drive out, there is a chance of reinfection, as well they tend to spread to removable media, and it isn't impossible for them to mess around with your bios.

Anyways, what this story is referencing is the fact that a ton of computers are infected with a DNS redirect virus that makes their traffic redirect to nefarious DNS servers instead of trusted ones.

The FBI is shutting down those machines by removing the DNS re-routing they set up to combat the virus.

They aren't doing anything to your pc, they are removing the "shortcut" they created to keep those machines on the internet, once they remove that, those pcs would need to use direct IP addresses to connect.

Did you even read the article?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join