It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analytic Thinking Can Decrease Religious Belief

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Although I agree with the title of this thread, i.e. Analytical thinking affects *religious* belief, note my emphasis on the word 'religious'. I would suggest that true analytical think opens up the possibility to a 'supreme being' but not *God* in a religious sense. It all depends on whether a dogmatic assumption of the concept of 'sentience' is taken rather than an objective approach, which kind of goes against the grain of analytical thinking anyway.

An interesting question related to this is whether macro systems may be considered sentient if the micro systems are. If this is the case then the question of scale comes into play. If scalability is viable then we have to consider whether the universe is sentient and your are left with the question of what that means in terms of 'belief' systems and the concept of a supreme being which is the product of all that is contained within the macro system at the highest level.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Another secular "study" attempting to destroy religion. I'm not even going to read this noise.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Another secular "study" attempting to destroy religion. I'm not even going to read this noise.

How are they attempting to destroy religion?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
in response to this survey, a couple of recent surveys (I forget which) also showed that people with high IQ's tended not to believe in God.

Personally, I believe that people grow out of their beliefs in Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy, but have no problem in believing in this imaginary "God" being.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
in response to this survey, a couple of recent surveys (I forget which) also showed that people with high IQ's tended not to believe in God.

I've discussed this on numerous occasions with friends at my University (supposedly higher than average IQ people). Many of them believe into something mysterious that they can't define. However, almost no one believes in some human-centric personal God that has spelled out a list of rules and influenced human history through miracles and massacres, etc. I think the vast majority of e.g. Christians are almost like this too. They don't believe the magic stuff and perhaps see even Jesus as just a normal human being. However, here in ATS we have numerous fundamentalists who insist that even talking snakes and flying camels existed

edit on 28-4-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

How are they attempting to destroy religion?

I don't know, I was just spouting off. It seems that way, though. Why do a study at all? I mean, who cares what affects religious belief? The fact that they did a "study" and concluded that something "diminishes religious belief" suggests that hey, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to believe in religion. That's what I was inferring, more or less.

edit on 28-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The fact that they did a "study" and concluded that something "diminishes religious belief" suggests that hey, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to believe in religion. That's what I was inferring, more or less.

The closing statement of the article:

Finally, we caution that the present studies are silent on long-standing debates about the intrinsic value or rationality of religious beliefs (32, 33), or about the relative merits of analytic and intuitive thinking in promoting optimal decision making (34). Instead, these results illuminate, through empirical research, one cognitive stage on which such debates are played (35).

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

funny how you consider yourself to be analytical but you still can't explain to me why you supported gaddaffi killing his own people.

How can you hate religion but at the same time allow for religious countries to harm their own people. Are you really analytical or are you lying again?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Makes sense to me.

Overly-analytical atheist here.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by someguy0083

Your narrow-minded view of the Libya bloodshed is hilarious.

If you believe that, I've got a bridge for sale somewhere.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I call BS. This article and research is totally bunk. There are plenty of analytic religious people out there, and plenty of non-analytic religious people. The same is true for people who aren't religious. Non religious people like to stereotype religious people as idiots who will believe anything but look around at society, I still see plenty of idiots who don't subscribe to any religious beliefs. The same goes for this forum, there are people who believe in fairies and goblins who probably attend this forum daily, no offense do the goblin and fairy believers, it's just not for me.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
I am suprised they needed to conduct research to come to this conclusion, it seems self evident to me.

Its hard to convince those that sheepishly follow along in the heard. It sometimes takes a research study to convince with facts that cannot be brushed aside.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by someguy0083

funny how you consider yourself to be analytical but you still can't explain to me why you supported gaddaffi killing his own people.

1. Where did I state that I consider myself to be analytical?
2. Where did I pronounce my support for Gaddafi?

How can you hate religion but at the same time allow for religious countries to harm their own people. Are you really analytical or are you lying again?

3. Where did I state that I hate religion?
4. When did I lie?
5. How is any of this related to the topic?
edit on 30-4-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LausDeo
I call BS. This article and research is totally bunk. There are plenty of analytic religious people out there, and plenty of non-analytic religious people. The same is true for people who aren't religious.

How about you read the actual article before calling BS? Nowhere does it say that a religious person can't be analytic or that non-religious people are analytic. The point of the article was, that when brains are challenged, people report lower/less religious belief.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If this study is true how did this happen?
List of Christian thinkers in science

List of Christian thinkers in science

en.wikipedia.org...
This list is about the relationship between religion and science, but is specific to Christian history. This is only supplementary to the issue as lists are by themselves not equipped to answer questions on this topic. The purpose is to act as a guide: the names, annotations, and links are provided for use in further study on this topic.

Famous Scientists Who Believed in God
www.godandscience.org...

www.adherents.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
If this study is true how did this happen?

How does that dispute the study? Please read the actual study before replying. I'm starting to get this feeling that there are very few people around here who even know how to process information, and no, I'm not talking about just the creationist posse..

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

so rhinoceros based on your "analytical thinking" do you BELIEVE this study - I say do youuu really BELIEVE this study?

Do I hear amen to that?

tc.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2

so rhinoceros based on your "analytical thinking" do you BELIEVE this study - I say do youuu really BELIEVE this study?

Do I hear amen to that?

tc.

Do you mean do I believe that they're not lying when they report their results? If yes. Yes, I believe they're not lying. It looks to me like their results mean that when people engage their brains (like when reading something written with difficult to read font), they believe into supernatural less (at least temporarily). Although, in this experiment (the 5th one I quoted..) their P-value was 0.04, which means that in 4/100 cases their result could be explained by chance..

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join