It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed takeover of the roadways? US ban on cellphone use while driving sought.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
reply to post by Bakatono

No, it is not dictatorial. Stop making something out of this when there's nothing there. Government is just enforcing common sense because many lack it.

Deal with it, sweetie.

as a matter of fact it is in essence. the federal government is not granted the authority to make laws concerning this.

deal with it, sweetie

It doesn't affect you whatsoever, so why are you bugging out about this? You know better not to put others in severe danger, right? Or do you, like many others, need guidance? Maybe if Americans actually wised up and didn't text/talk on their phones while operating automobiles, we wouldn't have to have the Federal government step in.

Deal with it, hunny buns. It's not a big deal.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Not looking for a scrap here, but I do have an honest question.

Falling asleep at the wheel while driving is a problem. Any driver is potentially at risk.
There are devices that awaken drivers if they start to nod off.
Should every driver be forced by federal law to wear these devices while driving?
Anti sleep device

I found one listed on Amazon for $2.48, a small price to pay to save lives. Right?

Why is there no major group called 'Mothers Against Sleeping Drivers' ?
edit on 29-4-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bhaal

OK first off let me say this, I totally agree with having or making texting and driving illegal and I only agree with making it a law because people that do it or try it are too stupid to realize that its dangerous. HOWEVER!!!!! ----- TALKING on your cell phone while driving should not be illegal, and here is why. 1) Its the same as talking to a passenger in your car and actually its probably safer due to the fact that most people take their eyes off the road and look at their passenger when speaking to them! 2) having children and or a screaming baby in the car is much much more distracting than talking on your cell phone. 3) Your radio, or ipod or cd's do you think we should make those illegal as well! OK I think 3 is more than enough, as there are countless scenarios that are much much more dangerous. So to all the people, NOT the US government but all the liberal hypocrites out their, you know the ones i'm talking about, the ones that put their make up on, or read the wall street journal while they are on their way to pass some dumb ass law, which is another money making scam of which all you people agree! So lets not let the liberal hypocrites win, instead lets start taking back our rights instead of having some dumb biotch from some midwestern state that has nothing better to do because she cant drive and talk and her husband stopped doing her so she decides to come up with some BS law so she can fill the void. Lastly if you're too stupid and cant simply drive and talk THAN YOU SHOULDNT BE BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A CAR! If anyone would like to have a publicly televised debate against me on this issue or any other let me know and I'll give you my email address or cell phone number and you can call me WHILE I'M DRIVING.
P.S. I will also challenge anyone in a driving test, you can be free of all devices on a course and i will be on my phone with a cup of coffee and smoking a cigarette and still drive better than any of the people complaing about cell phone use while driving!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

No, it is not dictatorial. Stop making something out of this when there's nothing there. Government is just enforcing common sense because many lack it.

Deal with it, sweetie.

as a matter of fact it is in essence. the federal government is not granted the authority to make laws concerning this.

deal with it, sweetie

It doesn't affect you whatsoever, so why are you bugging out about this? You know better not to put others in severe danger, right? Or do you, like many others, need guidance? Maybe if Americans actually wised up and didn't text/talk on their phones while operating automobiles, we wouldn't have to have the Federal government step in.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SANDMAN17

Ok And again its people like you that are too stupid to realize whats going on! Why dont you deal with it sweetie, and stop driving if you cant do more than one thing at a time, you see hunny buns you're one of those people that cant merge onto a highway or freak out when someone is merging onto the highway, YOU SWEETIE ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM IN AMERICA! You probably believe in BULLS%#T global warming too. Listen if you're all for it than make sure you never have children in the car and never have a passenger, never ever have coffee or anytype of drink in your car and make sure your car is not equipped with any of the following --radio, navi, anytype of glove compartment, sunglass compartment, and please please please never ever have standard shift in your car!!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! This is so so so aggrevating, Beacuse of people like you is the reason America is suffering economically, I'll bet my last dollar, you are probably all for letting the illegals stay in America. Think about this while you're at it, how come they have an option for the spanish language but not one option for chinese, japenese., russian or even French which also borders the U.S., if spanish people cant learn English than they shouldnt be here and working here. Learn the language and stop complaing, no-one else has, so why is it that spanish peeps get special treatment, maybe i'm overdoing it but it could be possible that they are too stupid, to learn!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes I will challenge anyone, in a public debate about any of these subjects and Believe me I Will WIN!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Not looking for a scrap here, but I do have an honest question.

Falling asleep at the wheel while driving is a problem. Any driver is potentially at risk.
There are devices that awaken drivers if they start to nod off.
Should every driver be forced by federal law to wear these devices while driving?
Anti sleep device

I found one listed on Amazon for $2.48, a small price to pay to save lives. Right?

Why is there no major group called 'Mothers Against Sleeping Drivers' ?
edit on 29-4-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Seriously?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Why not?

It is a problem, google search it.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

To be fair there are federal regulations preventing truck drivers from driving a certain number of hours, I think it's more than 8 or 12. The idea proposed by this person has, in fact, already gone into practice. Not to every driver though.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Deal with it, sweetie.

deal with it, sweetie

i'm not "bugging out" whatever that entails.
affording the federal government powers it is not entitled to is dangerous.
my driving habits are not the topic of discussion. yet again, it's not the federal government's job, nor does it have the authority to make laws of this nature. if you believe it's something important petition your state representative. laws of this nature are the responsibility of the state and local level.

ok hunny buns?

(i'm kind of getting a kick out of your derogatory remarks at the end of every post, it's so quaint!)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

To be fair there are federal regulations preventing truck drivers from driving a certain number of hours, I think it's more than 8 or 12. The idea proposed by this person has, in fact, already gone into practice. Not to every driver though.

that's because commercial truck drivers cross state lines, invoking interstate commerce laws, where the federal government does have authority.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

This already an offense in the UK

It is dangerous inmo

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Deal with it, sweetie.

deal with it, sweetie

my driving habits are not the topic of discussion. yet again, it's not the federal government's job, nor does it have the authority to make laws of this nature. if you believe it's something important petition your state representative. laws of this nature are the responsibility of the state and local level.

ok hunny buns?

(i'm kind of getting a kick out of your derogatory remarks at the end of every post, it's so quaint!)

I think you're missing the point here. Federal involvement when it comes to setting rules and laws regarding to driving is not a big deal.

If citizens didn't text so much causing accidents resulting in injury or death, I'd say meh but this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Once again, the government getting involved is not a big deal. But I suppose anything Federal is big and bad, right?

Ok little one? (:lol

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Are you suggesting the federal government has no authority over the states? Because that's all this law is doing is exercising authority over the states, not the drivers.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Deal with it, sweetie.

deal with it, sweetie

ok hunny buns?

I think you're missing the point here. Federal involvement when it comes to setting rules and laws regarding to driving is not a big deal.

If citizens didn't text so much causing accidents resulting in injury or death, I'd say meh but this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Once again, the government getting involved is not a big deal. But I suppose anything Federal is big and bad, right?

Ok little one? (:lol

no you're missing the point, and it's a pretty big point, and it's kind of sad that you don't get it. the federal government's role and powers are enumerated in the constitution...and for a reason, to help ward off tyrannical government. in my opinion, anyone suggesting giving powers to the federal government outside of it's clearly delineated place should be tried for treason. quite honestly, it doesn't matter how "good for you" it is, or how little the power may be. it adds up, and gives license for further power grabs. that you're unconcerned about it, to me, speaks to the general apathy and nanny needing that is increasing in america and i feel should be routed out.

(seriously though, what's the deal with the little barbs and derogatory comments? do you honestly feel you're winning debates with junk like that?)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

i never said that. driving regulations are a state responsibility not federal, excepting interstate commerce. why do you think there is no federal drivers license? it's not a secret

as well, a federal law banning cellphone texting, use etc is overstepping it's bounds. they could certainly ban texting or cellphone use while driving for commercial drivers though.
edit on 29-4-2012 by optimus primal because: added a little to properly respond to all points poster made.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

This has nothing to do with tyranny. It has to do with the Government trying to get involved with people who are putting others in danger.

That's the way it is. I'm sorry you can't handle it

Oh and "Sweetie, hunny buns, little guy, etc"

edit on 29-4-2012 by SeventhSeal because: To add a little something something

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

This has nothing to do with tyranny. It has to do with the Government trying to get involved with people who are putting others in danger.

That's the way it is. I'm sorry you can't handle it

Oh and "Sweetie, hunny buns, little guy, etc"

edit on 29-4-2012 by SeventhSeal because: To add a little something something

as a matter of fact it does. a series of little injustices add up to tyranny. once again just for your clarity, the federal government does not have the authority to get involved in things of this nature. they are state matters. either you don't have any understanding whatsoever of what the federal government's powers and role is, or you're being willfully ignorant and are one of those who want a nanny state. there is no middle ground in this scenario.
you're trying to make the idea of the federal government overreaching it's authority palatable by adding emotional baggage to it "it's to save people!" exactly like the whole "it's for the children!" garbage others use.

so again, state legislatures are perfectly capable and within their powers to make laws of this nature, get off your butt and call your state reps and have them make a state law for it. my state has it. your state can too! but it's not a federal matter, and wishing and hoping for it is both horribly silly and dangerous in the long run.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

No one wants a nanny state but you're making a big deal out of something that just isn't...well, a big deal.

Stop crying and get over it. This will not affect you unless you're one of the morons who text and drive. But I'm going to assume you're smarter than that....

Hopefully.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Stop crying and get over it. This will not affect you unless you're one of the morons who text and drive.

Any excuse police can use to enter our lives affects us all.

How does a cop know you're texting and driving? You looked down? There's an object in your hand? Only one hand is on the steering wheel?

What is the criteria for making a stop? It's already too damn easy for them to stop you and harass you and detain you. They dont need yet another excuse. In fact they need 90% of the excuses they have nullified.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Driving is a privilege, not a right. The government can makes laws regarding cellphone use or any other law that governs the road and highways. I fail to see how this is a problem. I know ATS has a problem with authority but if you don't like the law, then don't drive.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join