It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion and BTS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
IMHO if there was a separate forum and I mean you have to click on it, as opposed to seeing in the feeds, it would die out on its own. The purpose for those types of threads is to upset non-religious people.

Did you see the previous post that AshleyD made? You can hide this forum so new posts don't appear in your recent posts view.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

IMHO if there was a separate forum and I mean you have to click on it, as opposed to seeing in the feeds, it would die out on its own. The purpose for those types of threads is to upset non-religious people.

If religious people had to be in a forum all their own no one would write in them, and they would be forced to keep their judgments to themselves.

Some of these threads should be removed by applying the T&C, of solicitation, as this is an internet way to knocking on someones door, I mean no you dont have to open it, but your annoyed that they knocked in the first place.

Just wanted to quote those two parts.
Two absolutely fantastic points raised there... I said as much about a separate place for these types of threads and arguments and fully agree.

Your second point there is also spot on.

What is ATS?

Do we really want to encourage this kind of thing?
edit on 27/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Did you see the previous post that AshleyD made? You can hide this forum so new posts don't appear in your recent posts view.

And as I said, this doesn't solve the problem.
It is not every single thread in that forum and just hiding a forum does not solve the problem, you (ATS) need to tackle the problem of baiting, divisive and trolling threads.

That is the issue here.

If people want to talk about religion or discuss certain aspects or conspiracies... all of these things are fine.

If someone want to ask stupid, ignorant questions about Atheists or Christians and their only intention is to cause trouble, then this is a problem and a problem that ATS needs to deal with..... just "hiding" or ignoring the problem will not solve it

Unless the forum, as some others suggest, is just moved from ATS & BTS and doesn't show up on recent posts.... that would be fine

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

I don't want to hide it. I kind of like discussing Atheism.

But - if you look at the majority of threads with Atheism/Atheist in the title - - and who authored those threads - - its pretty clear discussion/debate of Atheism/Atheist - - is NOT the real purpose of the threads.

I do not go into threads that are obviously just for discussion of believers.

A "Critical Thinking Atheist" thread would be nice.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I don't want to hide it. I kind of like discussing Atheism.

But - if you look at the majority of threads with Atheism/Atheist in the title - - and who authored those threads - - its pretty clear discussion/debate of Atheism/Atheist - - is NOT the real purpose of the threads.

Exactly, that is indeed the problem.
There is nothing wrong with the subject or even forum, it's the intent and manner in which these threads are created and how the posters go about discussing the topics.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Most people who are moved to post in religious threads tend be passionate and have absolute faith in their convictions regardless of which particular belief system they adhere to.

To be honest I do not believe you are correct in your assessment. I do not listen to music nor do I smoke or drink, I do not date men, nor will I be alone with a man I am not related to... I DO pray my 5 daily prayers and try my best to practice my religion faithfully and I have absolute faith in GOD and believe I have a spiritual connection in this area.

AND the ONLY reason I post concerning my religion is when people start telling lies about it. And even then I try not to do very often because people here are simply ignorant and only want to hate, they do not care if you show them what the truth and they refuse to believe it even when you prove it to them.

It is not religion, nor faith that makes people do that... I think it is a lack of faith, of spirituality, and a lack of knowledge concerning their own beliefs that causes people to lash out at others for having what they lack. Hatred does not stem from knowledge, or faith....it stems from ignorance.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jameela

AND the ONLY reason I post concerning my religion is when people start telling lies about it. And even then I try not to do very often because people here are simply ignorant and only want to hate, they do not care if you show them what the truth and they refuse to believe it even when you prove it to them.

It is not religion, nor faith that makes people do that... I think it is a lack of faith, of spirituality, and a lack of knowledge concerning their own beliefs that causes people to lash out at others for having what they lack. Hatred does not stem from knowledge, or faith....it stems from ignorance.

I think you actually fall into the same category as Atheists - - - in how you are treated negatively - - - mostly by Christians of this site.

Posters ask me why I only mention Christians. I tell them - - - I grew up Christian and only speak about what I know.

I do not speak of Islam or Judaism because I am ignorant of those beliefs. I have no right to ignorant opinions.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I think you actually fall into the same category as Atheists - - - in how you are treated negatively - - - mostly by Christians of this site.

Posters ask me why I only mention Christians. I tell them - - - I grew up Christian and only speak about what I know.

I do not speak of Islam or Judaism because I am ignorant of those beliefs. I have no right to ignorant opinions.

I believe the same thing, to only speak on what you know, and forming opinions based on truth and not falsehood is terribly important in life, because a persons beliefs form actions, and you must have actions that are (for lack of a better word) righteous.

If you believe tea is bad for you, this forms an action, you wont drink it and you wont allow your children or family too either. If your belief is wrong, then your actions are based in ignorance, and you encourage others toward ignorance.

It is one thing to ask, or to learn... but we must always make sure what we are learning is the truth, so that our actions reflect properly this truth. There are times I speak in effort to learn, and times I enjoy debate with those of other faiths, because it causes me to learn something every time.

As I was telling Bo Axion (I think this is how it is spelled) I take philosophy every semester at Uni, not because I have to for my degree, but because it is the most fun. My Professor and I have the best discussions and debates, and we both gain from the exchange... but the point there is seeking knowledge.

When it is in search of knowledge it is a good thing, but not many have that mentality.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I believe the same thing, to only speak on what you know, and forming opinions based on truth and not falsehood is terribly important in life, because a persons beliefs form actions, and you must have actions that are (for lack of a better word) righteous.

Everyone's "truth" is personal and different - - and deserves respect.

Being Atheist is my choice and my right. Questions from the curious are expected and welcomed.

However - - if you step out of your "circle" - - into another's without invitation - - attempting "forced occupation" - - that is not respect.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I agree the religious threads are out of hand..Ive given up on any kind of a conversation in those threads a long time ago..
I love BTS but its being ruined with all the argumentative threads ,,And its always the same topic over and over again never anything new..
The constant bible quotes im just sick of something needs to be done..Thank you blupblup for bringing this topic up..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Everyone's "truth" is personal and different - - and deserves respect.

Being Atheist is my choice and my right. Questions from the curious are expected and welcomed.

However - - if you step out of your "circle" - - into another's without invitation - - attempting "forced occupation" - - that is not respect.

I do agree with you

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
I agree the religious threads are out of hand..Ive given up on any kind of a conversation in those threads a long time ago..
I love BTS but its being ruined with all the argumentative threads ,,And its always the same topic over and over again never anything new..
The constant bible quotes im just sick of something needs to be done..Thank you blupblup for bringing this topic up..peace,sugarcookie1

Yep, absolutely spot on

Thanks very much for posting.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

......they do not care if you show them what the truth and they refuse to believe it even when you prove it to them.

And therein lies a large part of the problem.....other people are as equally convinced that what they believe is the truth and that they have shown and proven it to you.

Hatred does not stem from knowledge, or faith....it stems from ignorance.

Whilst there is certainly an element of truth in that, unfortunately history is littered with hateful people who had absolute and total belief in their respective faiths.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Hmmmm....

I tend to stay out of the religious threads.That in mind,isnt it alot easier to not POST in a thread,if you dont like it,or find something that is offensive? Alerting the Mods to those who are trolling,often works too. Not hard to pinpoint it.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I have had a few, very few discussions on threads about religious issues that worked because they somehow slipped under the radar of those who post inflammatory replies. I stay away from the other threads. Even so when ever I reply to a religious thread, I am hesitant and intimidated that I and the thread will be vilified and flamed for our views.

It is sad and shocking the vileness that can go on. We should not be afraid to speak here of all places. I am glad the Mods and Staff are discussing this and I am sure they can help to get the issue under some sort of civilized order.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Eh, I tend to stay away from the religious forums these days. Try to get a good discussion going, and eventually it ends up with zealots calling eachother names, and spamming quotes from whatever book they parrot.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The way I see it is, this is a conspiracy forum, not a religious forum. Of course religious conspiracies should be a part of this site, but not threads that are posted strictly to proselytize, or to insult others, or bible study type threads.

Every time I go to BTS, over half of the threads on the "recent posts" page are religious in nature. I don't come to this conspiracy site to discuss Jesus, or God, or bible verses. How many religious forums on this www do you see where almost half of the threads are about conspiracies (political conspiracies, aliens, 9-11, bigfoot, etc) ? Not many I'd guess.

If you are interested in religious conspiracies, great, but if you come to ATS looking to convert everyone, or insult everyone who doesn't believe as you, then why can't you find some atheist forum somewhere else to join and leave the conspiracy site alone?

Or, as others have mentioned, have a totally separate place for those threads, or keep them off the recent posts page.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

As to the problem, I believe an ignore button on any post would help, and perhaps a call out to the Christian crowd in here to keep it calmed down a little, and stop with the insults and name calling.
Another reason I am glad NOT to be staff!

Its these type of comments that lead to confrontation,though you did say you relish it.

Then I guess you`ll blame Christians.

................................................................................................................

Even this thread is getting out of hand,I`ve counted heaps of insults accusations aimed directed and squarely toward Christians.

Now I agreed that there were too many threads being made from the same members,but I don`t take too kindly to hearing that they are made just to insult non believers etc.I`ve seen plently of threads and topics which are flat out baiting threads toward Christians.

I`ve been involved with a couple of threads on ATS of late which is nothing more than a platform for non believers to come into and spew all the insults they want.

Years ago when I saw things like that and I mentioned it I was called a whinger,so I will not use the complaint function or alert button again where I see someone being insulting toward Christians,further because so many threads that exist where this is allowed to happen unabated is only proof imo that using the button as far as Christians are concerned is a waste of time.

I`m also getting the vibe Christians are not welcome here or will one day be banned simply for being one.

There are some fantastic people here on ATS Christian or not and mainly the only thing I can offer that is of any real value is my testimony.The rest is just dribble in comparison.

Maybe its the same with many more Christians and that gets up peoples noses but then thats the truth to us,but that shouldn`t give others the right to insult us for it.I stay away and post other things and just have a bit of fun but then I`m conflicted because I`m not being who I should.I watch and read the insults then sometimes I engage and can get heated.

I love to just read and learn what others believe and not post and in doing so far too often I`m put off by them eventually saying something derogatory about Christianty where it had nothing to do with the topic.Then when the topic is changed blame it on the Christians.

I`m not saying Christians are squeaky clean far from it,just saying that its a two way street .

I think for myself it would be best to take a break from here for a while and get some fresh air anyway and maybe come back in a few weeks or so.

I really don`t know what the answers are for all of this other than turn the other cheek and be slapped sensless from my part.Though feeling like a door mat after a while can wear thin for anyone.

All the best on this guys gals and Staff .

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

We really don't need so many of the same topics on the part of the site that is supposed to be casual and fun and friendly and light-hearted.

I thought it was about religion, faith and theology. Not popcorn, candy floss and my little pony.
You're stressing over the religion forum, when it's bts.
For you bts might be that, but for me, the religion forum of bts is exactly that, a religion forum.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join