It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why hasn't there been a decent UFO movie in 35 years?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
There have been many UFO movies featuring the plot points you describe. However, these films also feature lots of CGI and explosions.

I felt Close Encounters sucked. There's no payoff, just a huge waste of time.

Say what?!!!

That movie is an American classic.

It is in our National Archives.

The payoff is....

They picked HIM.

Not the astronauts.

Just a regular guy.

Just like you.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

One of my favorite newer Alien/UFO films is Altered. That movie has suspense, horror, thrills, and is a different twist on the typical abducted by aliens film. These people actually get revenge and the movie starts from there. That's all I'm going to say. It's on Netflix if you have it. I highly recommend any alien aficionado watch Altered.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Because YOU haven't made one. Get on it.

What is simple to you may be AMAZING to millions....

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by KillThePoor

Yeah i don't know what it was. It was a very well done movie. It had horrible acting, horrible effects and all the typical things you would find in a low budget flick. But for some reason i REALLY liked it, i think it was just original enough to make interesting.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Great Film you mentioned but what about the Alien franchise?

Are you just talking about Alien/UFO Films suggesting Invasion of Earth? Coz if you aren't, then Alien is the best Film Franchise!!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
district 9 and super 8 are both worth a watch plus if your really bored you could watch alien abduction: the mcpherson family, (which ain't amazing). but there has been nothing like close encounters since it came out.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Meh? I actually enjoyed Spielberg's take on War of the Worlds. Thought it was more than decent and actually disturbing in some parts.

If anything, I'm one of the few people in the world who isn't the biggest fan of Close Encounters.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker
When it comes to the subject of UFOs, I have seen exactly one (1) motion picture in my life that really does the subject any justice, that being of course this one:

Dramatic Hollywood embellishments aside, Close Encounters got a lot of things right. Unexplainable sightings. Baffled citizens. Government secrecy. Why is it that no mainstream film has tackled this subject in a serious way since Spielberg did it in 1977?

Discuss.
edit on 27-4-2012 by Orkojoker because: (no reason given)

Close Encounters is one of my all time favourite movie, in any genre.

I'd like to see David Fincher do a UFO movie.

Top of my list would be seeing mad mel gibson have a go. Whatever his personal issues i think Braveheart, Passion of The Christ, and Apocalypto make him the most interesting and epic filmmaker around. He's fearless in his approach to a subject and that's what we need in a UFO movie.

edit on 28-4-2012 by McGinty because: brevity

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

On the contrary, it's boring and literally nothing happens. Then again, it was the 70s, so it was like every movie from that era.

Are you serious? Every film from the seventies was boring? Godfather parts 1 and 2? One flew over the cuckoos nest? Taxi Driver? Alien? et al.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Close Encounters had cool special effects, but was way too sugar coated for my liking. I think District 9/Alien may be closer to the truth.

Then there's Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, which has not yet been made into a movie. In the book, a huge spaceship comes hurtling into the solar system. Of course everyone freaks out and sends a team to investigate. It turns out the spaceship was just using our sun for a gravity assist slingshot and didn't even know, or care about, humans.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

When it comes to the subject of UFOs, I have seen exactly one (1) motion picture in my life that really does the subject any justice, that being of course this one:

Dramatic Hollywood embellishments aside, Close Encounters got a lot of things right. Unexplainable sightings. Baffled citizens. Government secrecy. Why is it that no mainstream film has tackled this subject in a serious way since Spielberg did it in 1977?

Discuss.
edit on 27-4-2012 by Orkojoker because: (no reason given)

There has been about 20.................
Independence day
The fourth kind
Paul

Infact..
TONS MORE..
en.wikipedia.org...

Mission to Mars - 2000
K-PAX - 2001
Groom Lake - 2002
Men in Black II - 2002
Signs - 2002
Alien Hunter - 2003
Visitors - 2003
Godzilla Final Wars-2004
The Forgotten - 2004
Alien Abduction - 2005
War of the Worlds - 2005
Alien Autopsy - 2006
Flying Saucer Rock 'N' Roll - 2006
Lifted - 2006
Dreamland - 2007
Martian Child - 2007
Night Skies - 2007
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 2008
The Appearance of a Man - 2008[1]
The Day The Earth Stood Still - 2008 remake of the 1951 movie
The Invasion - 2007
Bolt - 2008
Summer of the Flying Saucer - 2008
The X Files: I Want to Believe - 2008
Alien Trespass - 2009
District 9 - 2009
Knowing - 2009
Monsters vs. Aliens - 2009
Race to Witch Mountain - 2009 remake of the 1975 movie
The Fourth Kind - 2009

oh,,,

edit on 28/4/2012 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
What about Fire in the Sky? that was based on 'alleged' true events.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by singensmythe

I don't know what this thread was started, check the list I posted.

Hadn't even heard of that Area 51 - Downloading now from Netflix

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I also felt Close Encounters was a masterpiece. I remember going to the movie theatre, seeing it on a big screen, and being in awe. I couldn't get it off my mind for a month.

I would definitely like to see another great, realistic, UFO movie with very limited CGI.

I would like to add that the majority of movies other posters have suggested are NOT UFO movies. They're not realistic, most have excessive CGI and they're not based on UFO reports from the past. They're entertaining, but you don't leave the theatre saying, "Wow! That could really happen, and something similar may have actually happened and the government never told us about it."

edit on 28-4-2012 by ClintK because: to add

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Because the people in Hollywood have lost their creativity.

Take one of David Icke's books, Nigel Kerner's books, Science Fiction, just got done reading Blood Red Road by Moira Young, and three space opera books (really good entertainment) by Dr. Wayne E. Haley: The Last Ferry To Clover Bay, Rendezvous At No Man's Mesa and Rescue At The Dark Castle...........yep pure space opera but fun reading Dr. Wayne Haley.

Instead Hollywood keeps making remakes and those remakes are $hitty.

Did like "The Happening" and "Signs" by M. Night Shyamalan but he is sometimes good sometimes not so good.

Now, Read Minnesota Cold by Cynthia Kraack (if you're older and want the government in on your health care - this might change your mind) and Lights Out by David Crawford.

Lots of really good books out there, Scott Westerfeld's Uglies and The Midnighters, very good - if in the hands of a competent screenwriter and director, would make a awesome movie.

The Second Ship and Immune by Richard Phillips and Deathstroke by Richard Kelley.

But the movies are never as good as the books.

Close Encounters of The Third Kind was a good movie, but I would like to see Jim Marrs and David Icke stuff - cause I don't think the greys are all that warm and fuzzy. No, they are not going to lead you gently by the hand up into their ship and show you the wonders of the universe...............they are not benevolent.

The best Alien movie and it really needs to be updated was "They Live". Needs a bigger budget with David Icke as a consultant.

The Arrival was also good.

Why hasn't there been many good movies? Because most people don't boycott the frap Hollywood is putting out and now ask yourself, who rules Hollywood? That is the 50m question.

What is actually happening is way more interesting than any movie that has yet to be made........"They Live" comes close, but it was a primitive attempt to educate the public as to what is going on.

In closing, The Matrix was good too.

The Arrival trailer...............

Wonder why our weather is weird?

From Alien to human...........but I think David Icke has a better handle on this one.

The Arrival. Stop watching the skies and start watching your back. This is one of the trailers for the movie The Arrival starring Charlie Sheen. It came out about the same time as Independence Day aka ID4... but in my opinion is a far superior science fiction film.
edit on 28-4-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

On the contrary, it's boring and literally nothing happens. Then again, it was the 70s, so it was like every movie from that era.

Hey man, that's life...it's boring and nothing happens. That's why Close Encounters is brilliant. Because these people's lives are boring, and nothing is happening. And then something happens, and it's unexplainable. And at that point life has changed for them. That actually occurs.

That being said, I know what you mean. It shows its age for sure. But it's a classic.

I wish there had been a sequel to delve into the life of a human living and co-existing with the ET's on the mothership! It could have been inspirational!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The fourth kind scared the #@!# out of me. well it wasnt that scary, But it was Very, Very, Eerie.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
reply to post by greyer

How about tens of thousands of witnesses in Phoenix 1997? Look it up. THAT would make a good flick.

I think it is obvious what is alien and what is not, if there is aliens, they were doing the things that seemed impossible. They had the craft which every thought was made of metal not of this world, because they hadn't seen anything like that type of material on earth. It must have also had a aurora to it I presume. Don Schmitt and Kevin Randle have made prevalent that something happened. The lights over phoenix to me are obviously a human craft, it didn't do anything special and it looks to be a large version of the trianlge craft that was going around the world in the 1980s.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Isn't there supposed to be a movie in the works called Majic, or something similar to this?

I remember hearing Stanton Friedman say in an interview once that the film would be based on his investigations into UFOs and the Majestic 12, and that his character would be played by Richard Dreyfuss?

Does anyone else remember hearing this?

Close Encounters is a classic in my opinion, I thought Fire In The Sky was a decent film as well. I found both to be thought-provoking and awe-inspiring.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Originally posted by singensmythe

I don't know what this thread was started, check the list I posted.

Hadn't even heard of that Area 51 - Downloading now from Netflix

Had you read through the thread you would have found that I repeatedly try to steer us onto the topic of UFO movies, not alien movies. There is a difference, which appears to be too nuanced for almost everybody posting here. I've given up trying to tell people what to discuss, as it's not really my place to do so. This thread is now "What is Your Favorite Movie about Aliens, Vampires, or Really Anything For That Matter?"

Please ignore the OP and carry on.

Thanks for the list.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join