Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Why hasn't there been a decent UFO movie in 35 years?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
CIoT3K is the best UFO moie in history. Hands down.

I actually think the movie "Contact", albeit with no ufos, was a greatmfilm as well.

edit on 27-4-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

"Signs" did that to some extent, and although the plot centered on the story of the family there were snippets of global reportage in the movie.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Agree. I loved that movie. Remember the trading cards?

I had the whole set!

If I remember correctly,that was the first set of cards,I ever collected. Duplicates were used,on my bike,to make that annoying "clicking" sound,throughout the neighborhood......

"Fire in the sky",was also a good one. 2001 space odyssey......classic....

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

"Signs" did that to some extent, and although the plot centered on the story of the family there were snippets of global reportage in the movie.

Now THAT movie, signs, had the most disappointing ending in movie history.

It was like M. Night literally gave up on the ending.....

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

That being said, I know what you mean. It shows its age for sure. But it's a classic.

Hey OP...if you're gonna fold from rookie comments, allow me to take over the thread, as the original premise was spot on, but you appear to have forgotten that.

No. You need to take into consideration the viewpoint of a person who has only seen three films in his life made prior to 1995. That person has a legitimate beef in my opinion with the overall slowness of pace of pre-1980 movies. You can't expect everyone to dig Citizen Kane either. Not really here to debate a point anyway.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I'm with you big time...

I still have over 2000 star wars cards...from the late 70's on.

I can till taste the crap bubble gum that came with them...like cardboard, but in a good, demented way.

edit on 27-4-2012 by facelift because: drunke gmmaarr

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

But the atmosphere he created in the film was very effective. A helplessness mixed with claustrophobia. I bet it would feel alot like that.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

My favourite film was Close Encounters. Then came The Navigator. Hanger 18. Independence Day. Flight of the Navigator. The Day the Earth Stood Still - both of them. Contact.

I have seen them all. Some many many times. But then came Stargate - and I was hooked. Especially Thor.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by sonnny1

I'm with you big time...

I still have over 2000 star wars cards...from the late 70's on.

I can till taste the crap bubble gum that came with them...like cardboard, but in a good, demented way.

edit on 27-4-2012 by facelift because: drunke gmmaarr

Lucky Dog!

I cant find mine. I had BSG cards,from the original series also.

All "card" gum sucked..........

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I am waiting for Prometheus.

I believe this will be a classic. Not the typical UFO movie,but Aliens,Origin of Mankind,etc........

I would love to see another Blade Runner Movie........

edit on 27-4-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
April 2012:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
True, moreso - why have you been un-entertained for 35 years? Hard to please?

I suppose if you're looking for actual factual films or ones that really, really take the subject deeply and seriously then we may be lacking somewhat, but all the films mentioned are classic and there are so many more. If you covered the same ground as Close Encounters to bring in all those "realistic" elements then surely you'd just be creating Close Encounters again. But perhaps it is time hollywood put that message across again...perhaps not. Even the recent 'Skyline' and 'Battle LA' aren't too bad IMO, but I'm basing this on light entertainment, not "near non-fiction" type settings.

- Close Encounters
- Flight of the Navigator
- Independence Day
- The Abyss
- Explorers
- ET
- Batteries Not Included
- The Fourth Kind

to name a few that I found 'decent'. It would be good if X Files 3 was actually about UFOs though
edit on 27-4-2012 by markymint because: spelling

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
That's a hard question to answer.

It's not like items are not available for conversion to screenplays.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
No one has mentioned District 9, and that's no worse than some mentioned

And for what it's worth, not too bad either given it was a different take on the idea. Or a mesh of two if you want to..

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I agree. I always feel disappointed by alien movies. They could do sooo much more than they do. Furthermore, they always mess up how the situation would actually be handled if they came. Having become fairly familiar with the phenomenon myself, I know enough to know that their depictions of the agencies and methods involved are way off.

I think they should do more that is based on our best data concerning the topic. Similarly, if you want great storylines, just mine the myriad theories that fill the subject. They never seem to take on the grey/abduction scenario for example. That would be great to see a movie with hybrids and everything.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I was just reading today how Steve McQueen turned down the lead role of Close Encounters because he couldnt cry on que. Than I read this? Interesting. Although Communion was a crappy movie (sorry Walken) the book was excellent. Yeah I can't really think of any goods one that have come out recently. How bad was Battle LA? These new ones make me Verp in my mouth.
Totally agree with District 9. Good movie.
edit on 27-4-2012 by kenny71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Well it would be very hard to re-write the plot, seeing as how nothing new has occurred in those 35 years. Yeah I know more sightings and more grainy videos and plenty of speculation of Greys with big black eyes. But what now where do we go to base an entire movie on. It's like trying to re-write Titanic, ......oh wait a minute.......

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Apparently Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is based on an actual meeting that took place between American Intelligence and Aliens.

Ever read a book called 'Behold A Pale Horse' by the late 'William Cooper'?

I have a .pdf copy of it if anyone is interested.

Anyway it details the secret past meetings intelligence have had with Aliens. And Close Encounters was based on one of them. Oh and E.T. was based on the Alien captured in Roswell.

Send me a message with your email if you want a copy of the book!!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
There have been many UFO movies featuring the plot points you describe. However, these films also feature lots of CGI and explosions.

I felt Close Encounters sucked. There's no payoff, just a huge waste of time.

i would say that this, the second post in the entire thread, sums the situation up entirely.
"the public" doesn't want realistic, well thought out scenarios.
"the public" wants forty thousand cg explosions
and for the most engaging character in any film to be Megan Fox's ass.
the downward spiral of culture, or what?
i don't know who this "the public" person is, but they seem to be getting their wish.
i'll stick to the book

[i might watch Prometheus though]

[Orko i like your potential film idea at the bottom of first page. turn it into a script! then turn it into a film! if you need someone to play an inspired dual role as some internet crazy/leader of the aliens, you know where to find me.]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join