It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Aliens Exist, Why Wouldn't They Contact Us? Here's an Answer.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This question gets asked time and time again on ATS - and I want to share my 2 cents.

Personally, I think we're probably just too technologically simple for a race with interstellar travel capabilities to care about.

This is another one of those "god's children" cases, in which we feel a sense of entitlement because we're the most "intelligent" creatures on the planet - and in many cases, assume that makes us incredibly special.

It's basically like a monkey who just learned to not throw his own crap, and to throw mud instead, asking why humans won't come talk to it and give it free stuff.

It too, speculates whether humans are benevolent or malevolent. The answer? Statically, neither. Humans are just being humans, and have no reason to communicate with a monkey, even if it is a smart monkey.

And if they DO want something from the monkey, they'll research the monkey with or without its condolence, and not walk into the middle of it's monkey-community and say "bring me to your leader, monkey."

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Seriously, you couldn't have put it any better.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I believe that the reason would be the fact of how savage we are as a race.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
I believe that the reason would be the fact of how savage we are as a race.

Yes. Just like we see monkeys as savage.
edit on 26-4-2012 by thegagefather because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Open contact between spacefaring people and a civilization that has a majority of the population that still believes in Bronze Age deities would likely be disastrous.

As we've all read before, the panic that it may cause would likely collapse our civilization. Humanity would have to drop the fairy tales and start living in reality before we could handle such contact.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Yeah but monkeys are not able to build spaceships are they. Why would any advance race come to Earth show us it is possible to achieve interstellar travel. They would not even need to show us the ships, that fact we as humans might be savage we are still intelligent, able to build and once we know it is possible we would take to space like a plague.

Now if you were part of an advance race even if it was a human race, would you stop off at Earth watch for a while and then allow humans to see what is possible...?

I think If there is an advance race we will be left to advance on our own accord.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hmm interesting I know this question was proposed here before but as for me I personally just think of it as we are too violent at times. I mean they could and probably are observing us and at the same time watching what we do the way we handle things is probably a good enough reason as to why they would bide their time and wait.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I find ant farms fascinating. I love observing them go about their business, but I've never introduced myself to them.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
We're not mature enough to play with their toys simply put.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I can believe that theory I don't blame them a damn bit!

Hell I'm a human and I view a lot of other humans as basically intelligent monkeys. Some not even that intelligent it's just that they can talk.

I just hope the aliens don't view us as food. I read a thread the other day about intelligent dinosaurs that are on their way. When they get here they are going to eat us!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
Some not even that intelligent it's just that they can talk.

Well said, for most of our species that's about as far as they've gotten at this point.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Legion2024, I'm with your thoughts on this. I believe if we even wittnessed ET's capable of interstellar travel it would almost immediately change our direction. We would learn quickly IMO

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

Yeah but monkeys are not able to build spaceships are they. Why would any advance race come to Earth show us it is possible to achieve interstellar travel. They would not even need to show us the ships, that fact we as humans might be savage we are still intelligent, able to build and once we know it is possible we would take to space like a plague. Now if you were part of an advance race even if it was a human race, would you stop off at Earth watch for a while and then allow humans to see what is possible...? I think If there is an advance race we will be left to advance on our own accord.

Give a monkey enough time on Earth without humans around, and yes, eventually one will probably build a spaceship that is essentially a giant metal phallic slingshot that has a high probability to blow up on the launchpad and burn the pilots alive.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I doubt we would learn how to use a technology which is undoubtabley hundreds, thousands, or even millions of years beyond us just by seeing it.

UFO sightings occur all the time, some probably ARE ET, yet we still don't have interstellar travel.
Seeing a glowing triangle doesn't give you much to go off of.
I think anyone who has this opinion is simply grossly overestimating human capability.

Yea, we might get really lucky and an Einstein will be born, but that's random chance because of nature, not because of us.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This might seem a little odd to some. But imagine an animal that is about to be eaten. You want to help the animal without taking it out of it's environment. So you put it in a cage or some container in that environment as to wait for the predator to leave. Though you just done this animal a great service. The creature will simply want out of that cage in a hurry not even realising the predator is right outside the door waiting for it's meal. I read in another thread somone thought we were being qurantined. What if we are being kept on earth by a galactic federation as to not get eaten. Because of our primitive views like not being able to accept people for skin colors and beliefs. We are being protected from starting interstellar wars because of our primitive minds.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Manunnaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thegagefather

Your theory makes a lot of sense and is definitely a possibility. But its not the only possibility. Another possibility could be that they would contact us. Maybe they recognize our communications ability and have grown to learn how to reach out to beings on their own relative levels. Maybe they would contact us and help show us a way to behave so that we don't destroy ourselves because they see that the human role in the universe is possibly meaningful. Maybe they already have done this. Maybe not.

On the other hand, perhaps they wouldn't contact us because they would rather watch us and see how we behave without assistance. They might have a high respect for free will in such a way that to invade our free will could even defeat the purpose of our very existence as this growing thing that we are.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
If I was an alien, and I had a really nice sleak disk shaped flying ship. Where I could look at people from above.
If I looked down as an alien, and I saw how we were, I wouldn't wanna talk to us either.
I'd happily hover above, abduct and examine because there is no way I would want to involve myself in the species that exists as mainstream right now.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Interestingly, Cavalry, scientists recently discovered that brain-size isn't really linked to intelligence. In fact, it's the creases in our brain that give humanity it's intelligence. That's why they're all over.

Also, while most scientists thought Amber casing was to blame for dragonflies growing to such sizes (because they assumed the exoskeleton would be way too big, and the insect couldn't move) one scientist recently created a vacuum, then used it to recreate Earth's early enviroment. The dragonfly grew almost 2 feet with a 4-foot wingspan and otherwise functioned perfectly. They're even wondering how much dragonflies have evolved because of this recent revelation.

Now, I certainly do not BELIEVE dinosaurs were intelligent, but I KNOW I could be wrong!

After all, not a single monument from any of OUR civilizations would last near a million years if we were wiped out, let alone a billion. Who knows, perhaps there could have been life as intelligent as ourselves on this planet before.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Well if they're here, they haven't.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by srbouska

I'd happily hover above, abduct and examine

You know I think some of the aliens are sex fiends or just kinky.

I'm sure you've heard stories about the probing. Why would they need to check your anus? Honestly I think I'm going to carry a jar of lubricant in my pocket just in case.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join