It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ah, ok. Anyone Else Realize 24 Horses Die Each WEEK on Race Tracks in the US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

After being put down, he was carted off behind a barn, where he was dumped on top of the dirt next to an old toilet and some surgical gloves

I read this story and perhaps because I am not a horse racing fan (other than the big 3 races which I used to watch) I was rather suprised. This is barbarism to the exteme. I should also point out I don't think the writer of the article really did justice to the subject but it did make me aware.

Because of lax regulation, financial pressure and rampant drug use on unfit animals, dead horses have been piling up, including at least 350 in New Mexico alone since 2009

I really don't know what to say. This is a very sad story and reflects the uncaring and greedy world that we allow to exist. The animals who make these people money are nothing more than a piece of meat - once it has outlived making you money, you throw it on the garbage heap next to an old toilet and then go watch a movie.

I guess I'm not really suprised, and I can guarentee there will be the "animals are supposed to be used by US" theories - even those who will claim I am some animal rights nazi - I believe simply these beautiful animals are just that. The indignities bestowed upon them from birth should make us all feel a little ashamed. I will no longer watch any or support the Kentucky Derby or any other race - they are run by pure scum bags who simply do not care. I knew about the treatment of Greyhounds - that is whole thread in and of itself - but I was unaware of this story and its common place. Sick.

We Are Barbarians

ColoradoJens

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Dang. Didnt think it was that much. Are you advocating outlawing Horse Racing?? Or are you saying deregulation in General isnt good.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

I'm saying that this is absurd. It reminds me of the dog-sled racers who's dogs die of exhaustion while saying "they love it". I'm saying it is a sick world and maybe if more people knew about it we'd have a modicum of sympathy for these animals. Running them to death - in these numbers proves those who own and race horses care nothing of the animals that make them money.

Sans scientific reasearch, one could surmise that this number is 1000 horses a month around the world killed for entertainment. No links, just surmising.

CJ
edit on 26-4-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Is that the over/under number? Is there a place where we can bet on the real number each week?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Don't say that around here .The Kentucky Derby will be here in about a week and it's the biggest money producer here.

But I agree with with you.
It is tragic and very much an exploitative sport if there every was one.
But people don't care here if a horse dies,the are in it for the money.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

I think it's the under - if you go 24 "reported" deaths a week in the US alone, (round up to 100 a month) I think it's safe to say just between Russia, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, China and Europe alone it must be getting close. Brazil? Who knows what's going on there..just keep going.

CJ

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I know kdog. I grew up with the Derby. The triple crown. Wille Shoemaker and the other mini-peeps that rode those awesome horses. Sad that there isn't more dignity in a pretty amazing spectacle.

CJ

new topics

top topics

join