It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic ice melting from below, reveals satillite

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

Reactors work by using fission in a confined place (ie a reactor) to create heat to boil water. All the radioactive waste in the world would amount to such a minute amount of heat that it would not effect world temps. same way as if u take a piece of toast out of your toaster and put it on your kitchen worktop, it wont heat your house up.One active volcano would put more heat into the biosphere than all the reactors in the world combined.
edit on 27-4-2012 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
i swear.... this whole forum has turned into a climate change bashing forum and it USED to be a place where we could talk about it. there's no discussion now. it's "climate change is a hoax" and anyone that doesn't think that way gets called names.

the OP links do not disprove that climate change is partly due to human selfishness. it's just NOT a black and white issue. it's complicated and it can't be proved or disproved with one or two happenings.

You swear?... so now that is all the proof you need?... BTW, learn the difference between Climate Change and Anthropogenic Global Warming... One is natural and happens all the time, the other is a hoax and has been proven time and again. This proof is just another nail in the coffin.

Some years back in this forum I proved that there are about 20,000+ underwater volcanoes that we know about, a lot more than there are on land and which is why people can't readily see how magmatic and volcanic activity has been increasing. There are about 1,500 volcanoes on land by comparison.

edit on 27-4-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks, I for one can't wait to hear what they find. I know it will be a few years, I'm sure, but will be anxious in the mean time.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I never said any thing about refuting climate change. Yeah, I made a joke about Al Gore but that's it. I read this article where they suspected volcanoes beneath the glaciers and thought that was very interesting.

Please don't twist my words around. There is climate change, which in my opinion, is totally different than that Global Warming theory that hypocrite Gore tries to make money off of. Climate change is real, no doubt about that.
Just enjoy the article, that's all.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I have to admit, it's pretty cool !! I just wish it wouldn't take to long before they know any thing.
Also, I do believe in Climate Change but not Global Warming. To me, there's a difference. Actually I think they are kinda toning down on that global warming crap since those e-mails were released a couple of years ago. Bad publicity for the ones pushing that agenda. Now it's being referred to as Climate Change which is more like it.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Sorry to ruin your party, but nothing in this report is refuting 'climate change'. You should read it. It's saying that warmer winds are helping move warmer water to the edge of glaciers.

Here's some of the parts from the NASA site the OP seems to have forgotten to include, as well as a link to the actual article:

An international team of scientists used a combination of satellite measurements and models to differentiate between the two known causes of melting ice shelves: warm ocean currents thawing the underbelly of the floating extensions of ice sheets and warm air melting them from above.

"This study demonstrates the urgent need for ICESat-2 to get into space," said Jay Zwally, ICESat project scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "We have limited information on the changes in polar regions caused by climate change. Nothing can look at these changes like satellite measurements do."

www.nasa.gov...

edit on 26-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

In case you didn't notice, the article was about the suggestion of volcanoes under the glaciers. No need to make this about something else. I have no agenda other than showing that the scientists are fixing to check out what the images on the satellite may have revealed. That's all. No need to turn this into some other issue. I for one am very interested in what they may find under the glaciers.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite

Originally posted by snarky412
Long after we're gone, the Earth will still be here waiting for the next inhabitants to make a go at it. Hopefully like in about a million years from now. HA!!

So you despise humanity?

You hate people?

I do.. we are a sick despicable race... if we were spartans maybe we would have honor and respect and evolve into something awesome... however we kill our best and brightest and the weak and corrupt are the ones that breed and run the countries... we are living in the dark ages... the golden age will come when we fix this system.. and fixing it would involve culture change.. which will never happen without great castrophy and death
edit on 26-4-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

You know whats sad any more, a person can't even make a joke with out some one getting bent of of shape. I put the "HA" after my remark but I guess some one took it seriously. Some one needs to loosen up. This article was to inform people, not in flame them. Just have fun, read and enjoy.

Where did the reader get that I "despised humanity" and "hate people" ? All over the million year joke? Please, some one needs to get a grip.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
You know, I am really disappointed that an innocent article about possible discovery of volcanoes under the glaciers has turned from an informative piece to a argumentative piece about climate change.

This is not about climate change, just about a new discovery that I thought I would share with others who thought it to be interesting. No hidden agenda and no, I don't hate or despise people. I am really floored that someone could say that about me because of a one liner joke. It shows poor and misguided judgement on their behalf. Hopefully we can get back on topic...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Originally posted by timetothink
I can't wait to see how this gets blamed on humans....

I can't wait to see how its blamed on Obama and liberals

Naw, Obama will just blame Bush..... HA! [joke]

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

i swear.... this whole forum has turned into a climate change bashing forum and it USED to be a place where we could talk about it. there's no discussion now. it's "climate change is a hoax" and anyone that doesn't think that way gets called names.

the OP links do not disprove that climate change is partly due to human selfishness. it's just NOT a black and white issue. it's complicated and it can't be proved or disproved with one or two happenings.

Thank you, I can't believe how this has turned into a climate change issue. The subject of the article is about the discovery of volcanoes but the discussion has gone way off track. I don't know why that has to happen. Very frustrating to say the least.....one poster had the audacity to claim that I hate and despise people. Can you believe that?! Stupid, stupid, stupid.....

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

You swear?... so now that is all the proof you need?... BTW, learn the difference between Climate Change and Anthropogenic Global Warming... One is natural and happens all the time, the other is a hoax and has been proven time and again. This proof is just another nail in the coffin.

Some years back in this forum I proved that there are about 20,000+ underwater volcanoes that we know about, a lot more than there are on land and which is why people can't readily see how magmatic and volcanic activity has been increasing. There are about 1,500 volcanoes on land by comparison.

edit on 27-4-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

The point to the article was possible discovery of volcanoes under the glaciers. That's it. How did this turn into climate change discussion? I just thought this discovery was interesting, I guess others read more into it than was expected. Sorry.....

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I'm not sure why you are mentioning volcanoes. The original article says nothing about them

Warm Ocean Currents Cause Majority of Ice Loss from Antarctica

www.nasa.gov...

Furthermore, the article in no way says this refutes AGW/climate change. It, in fact, supports it.

Again, sorry to pee on your party, but them's the facts.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Thank you, I can't believe how this has turned into a climate change issue. The subject of the article is about the discovery of volcanoes but the discussion has gone way off track. I don't know why that has to happen. Very frustrating to say the least.....one poster had the audacity to claim that I hate and despise people. Can you believe that?! Stupid, stupid, stupid.....

But you see it does have to do with Climate Change, since the melting of these glaciers has been blamed FOR YEARS by a certain crowd on Anthropogenic Global Warming, which means it was blamed on mankind...

This article shows that the melting has been occurring because underwater volcanoes are warming the ocean and this in turn has been melting the glaciers.

I have been arguing this exact point for years in this forum yet no one, at least in the AGW camp, wanted to even consider the possibility yet here we are. Now NASA says it is happening, and btw they are not going to say right out that all the melting is caused by volcanoes since they want to at least partially blame mankind no matter what.

The truth is that we are at a turning point. Climate Change will continue happening, and Climate Change is a natural occurrence. There is nothing we can do except adapt to it, and people will have to migrate to new areas just as humans have been doing for tens of thousands of years if not more.

The historical record, and even the geological record shows that entire civilizations in the past collapsed completely because of Climate Change.

There are records of floods which occurred in places like Egypt that hasn't been surpassed yet but it will most certainly occur again.

In other areas civilizations had to migrate to new areas because of drought which caused famines which we haven't seen yet in these modern times.

Unfortunately this will happen again and mankind has NOTHING to do with it.

edit on 28-4-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Furthermore, the article in no way says this refutes AGW/climate change. It, in fact, supports it.

Care to explain how in the heck does the article support that mankind is at fault for the melting of these glaciers or even for Anthropogenic Global Warming?...

BTW, use your head a bit and try to think what could be warming the oceans, and glaciers from underneath?... That's what the satellite is showing...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

BTW, use your head a bit and try to think what could be warming the oceans, and glaciers from underneath?... That's what the satellite is showing...

Well, instead of just guessing, you could read what NASA actually says. This says nothing about underwater volcanoes. It says nothing to say this refutes 'climate change'. It is discussing new technology that has allowed them to better understand HOW the changing climate is causing the melting in the Antarctic, specifically with warmer wind patterns and warming ocean waters eating away at the edges and immediately underneath ice sheets.

Isn't it great how good actually READING THE SOURCE can be?

The researchers concluded that 20 of the 54 ice shelves studied are being melted by warm ocean currents. Most of these are in West Antarctica, where inland glaciers flowing down to the coast and feeding into these thinning ice shelves have accelerated, draining more ice into the sea and contributing to sea-level rise. This ocean-driven thinning is responsible for the most widespread and rapid ice losses in West Antarctica, and for the majority of Antarctic ice sheet loss during the study period...

"This study demonstrates the urgent need for ICESat-2 to get into space," said Jay Zwally, ICESat project scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "We have limited information on the changes in polar regions caused by climate change. Nothing can look at these changes like satellite measurements do."

The new research also links the observed increase in melting that occurs on the underside of a glacier or ice shelf, called basal melt, and glacier acceleration with changes in wind patterns.

"Studies have shown Antarctic winds have changed because of changes in climate," Pritchard said. "This has affected the strength and direction of ocean currents. As a result warm water is funnelled beneath the floating ice. These studies and our new results suggest Antarctica's glaciers are responding rapidly to a changing climate."

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

This article shows that the melting has been occurring because underwater volcanoes are warming the ocean and this in turn has been melting the glaciers.

No, it doesn't:

"Warm Ocean Currents Cause Majority of Ice Loss from Antarctica"

Source: www.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I'm not sure why you are mentioning volcanoes. The original article says nothing about them

Warm Ocean Currents Cause Majority of Ice Loss from Antarctica

www.nasa.gov...

Did you even READ the article at all? The title is exactly as the source had it and the article specifically talks of possible discovery of a volcano under the glacier. The scientist aren't sure what they will find that's why they are going to investigate

“Underwater volcanism is also sublimating portions of the Antarctica ice mass from underneath. In 2004, a research team led by Eugene Domack, aboard the research vessel Lawrence M. Gould, made a remarkable discovery of a massive underwater volcano off the coast of Antarctica using a deep water submersible vehicle equipped with a cadre of sensors and video cameras. The volcano was 2300 feet (700 meters) tall. The British team findings confirmed the volcano was still active and was contributing to the melting of the ice sheet from beneath the Antarctica land mass

THAT'S what I was referring to. Please learn how to read and don't try to read more into it than that. Geez, I just thought it was pretty cool about the discovery, didn't know you were going tromping off the beaten path

The volcano was 2300 feet (700 meters) tall. The British team findings confirmed the volcano was still active and was contributing to the melting of the ice sheet from beneath the Antarctica land mass

I also stated per one of your other remarks that I believe in climate change but do not believe in global warming.
There is a difference.

I have to admit, it's pretty cool !! I just wish it wouldn't take to long before they know any thing. Also, I do believe in Climate Change but not Global Warming. To me, there's a difference. Actually I think they are kinda toning down on that global warming crap since those e-mails were released a couple of years ago. Bad publicity for the ones pushing that agenda. Now it's being referred to as Climate Change which is more like it.

Climate change is due a large number of factors involved, not just because of people. We hurt the atmosphere with all the pollution but at the same time Mother Nature has always evolved on her own. And volcanoes also can contribute to any changes, especially when more than one are erupting, sending plumes of ash in the air or in this particular case, a possible volcano under the glacier. Being as heat melts ice, the scientists are checking out what is going on underneath to see if that could be a contributing factor.

Please, I'm on your side about climate change, I was just intrigued by the article on the volcano discovery itself, that's all. We are still discovering things on this great planet Earth and I like to hear of new discoveries regardless of where it is or what it may be. That's all, sorry you got the wrong impression.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

But you see it does have to do with Climate Change, since the melting of these glaciers has been blamed FOR YEARS by a certain crowd on Anthropogenic Global Warming, which means it was blamed on mankind...

I have been arguing this exact point for years in this forum yet no one, at least in the AGW camp, wanted to even consider the possibility yet here we are. Now NASA says it is happening, and btw they are not going to say right out that all the melting is caused by volcanoes since they want to at least partially blame mankind no matter what.

The truth is that we are at a turning point. Climate Change will continue happening, and Climate Change is a natural occurrence. There is nothing we can do except adapt to it, and people will have to migrate to new areas just as humans have been doing for tens of thousands of years if not more.

The historical record, and even the geological record shows that entire civilizations in the past collapsed completely because of Climate Change.

There are records of floods which occurred in places like Egypt that hasn't been surpassed yet but it will most certainly occur again.

In other areas civilizations had to migrate to new areas because of drought which caused famines which we haven't seen yet in these modern times.

Unfortunately this will happen again and mankind has NOTHING to do with it.

Wow, I do believe you're the ONLY one that actually read this article and understood the main subject of it. Yes, I believe in climate change, Planet Earth is always changing. We are part of the factor but also other things such as Mother Nature herself can contribute to it also. Appreciate that you understood the point of this article. Some people here are down right mean. Also I believe in "climate change" but not Al gore's crap of "global warming". To me there is a difference. One is real while the other revolves around money.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

The quote you reference about underwater volcanoes is not from he NASA article.

You have taken a video from NASA's article entitled: "Warm Ocean Currents Cause Majority of Ice Loss from Antarctica" and attached it to a totally different article (which you didnt source) about underwater volcanoes.

The OP and subsequent posts contain NO LINK to a source article.

So, you intentionally distorted information.

edit on 28-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The quote you reference about underwater volcanoes is not from he NASA article.

You have taken a video from NASA's article entitled: "Warm Ocean Currents Cause Majority of Ice Loss from Antarctica" and attached it to a totally different article (which you didnt source) about underwater volcanoes.

The OP and subsequent posts contain NO LINK to a source article.

So, you intentionally distorted information.

edit on 28-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

Here is where I got it from, so maybe you'll leave me alone:

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

You will see BOTH the video plus the article itself. You are starting to be a pain in the you know what. Maybe this will satisfy you now but probably not. So no, smarty pants, I DID NOT distort information. You got a problem with what you find, take it up with the site that I provided that link to. They provide a lot of news on earth changes as well as problems around the world. That particular article will be near the bottom. Actually if you've never seen that site, you might like it. Smile, be happy!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join