It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manifestation of the Holy Spirit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I do not make too many religious threads or posts because I believe ones religious beliefs, or lack there of, should be a personal matter and not necessarily open to persuasion based on opinion but rather personal experience and ones own life truths. Having said that, I was reminiscing about a particular experience I had many years ago and thought I would share it. It's a long read but still one of the most interesting things I have ever had happen to me, so here goes....

In the early 90's I was in the military stationed in Norfolk Virginia. I had just relocated off base to an apartment and as it turned out moved above a man of faith. He was a non denominational preacher, the kind who was much more of a listener than a actual preacher. Up until this point I had very little stock in religion, and although I was not all together opposed to the notion of a creator, I was certinly not a person of religion or faith. Simply put the truth I had compiled to this point in my life simply led no credence to a belief. Yet having someone who could perhaps answer all the questions I had with regards to religion close with an open ear, I took the liberty to utilize this/him at every turn. At first it was the kind of questioning any non believer would put forth but soon turned in to some truly in depth philosophical discussions. Never did he judge me nor try and preach but simply try and share what he could when I questioned. Truth be told, there was something about him I can not put in words, charisma does not fully cut it. I have heard tales of some men of faith having this "presence" about them due to the holy spirit being with them and if that is something real then he to had it, but I digress...

Trying to make a long story a bit shorter, this mans advice led me to overcoming a debilitating suffering I had all my life and in my reality was a true miracle, the type of Devine intervention that many seek out as proof for confirmation of faith and before I even had true faith I was given the proof. This made me start to question my own beliefs even more and having proof of the Devine all to my self now, I needed to take the plunge and pick up a bible, see what it was all about. From time to time in my past I had read here and there parts but it just never made sence to me, I had no faith and it was like reading a foreign language, but this time was different. It was easy to read, I was understanding the human nature of the message and I was no longer held up on the words as the overall message of love and human experience was shining through.

So now to the point of the thread, I was pulling a frequent all night duty watch of a hanger on base. It was a rather large hanger that stored and tested jet turbines. I had a small desk in quarter deck to which I was located when not making the periodic security rounds. During this time I began to read the bible. It was probably around 11:00pm and I just got back from a walk through of checking doors, ect and having a smoke. I sat back down at my desk and opened the book to read when from in front of the desk and seemingly coming from under was what looked like white smog or smoke. My initial reaction was that I must have tracked In a partially lit cigarette after stepping on it so I quickly looked at my boots under the desk but that was not it. I looked back up almost expecting to not see anything but growing exponentially was this white mass forming and engulfing the room quickly. Just as I was almost about to panic I had an overwhelming calming effect come over me like a tilde wave, I mean I actually felt it hit me and physically sooth me. The notion that it was the holy spirit there to make its pleasure with my newly found interest entered my mind just in time to see this white mass disparate in to nothing from where it came.

From the time I first noticed it begin to when it dissipated in to nothing was perhaps 15 seconds but that tilde wave of calm and peace it hit me with has had a lasting effect for the past ~20 years and I assume I'll take that to the grave. To this day I still believe in not only the miracle I experienced just prior to this experience but oddly enough I also still question my faith daily. What I do not question though is that there was something out there that took an interest in me and out of nothing came a savior that changed my life. I often wonder if it really was the holy spirit that night or just some freak indoor climatic "something". I suppose I can not rule out my mind playing tricks either or any other explanation other than "Devine"' but having said that, deep down I know the truth even though I still question it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar experience? Has the holy spirit been know to make his presence know to just a common person like me before? Either way I just wanted to share this experience with everyone and welcome any and all comments.
edit on 26-4-2012 by HomeBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm glad for you and I hope you have many more God experiences. I've had some and I know what you mean about remembering them.

Blessings,

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Many are called but few are chosen.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
My buddy and I had an experience last May that we could only describe as some sort of 'divine' act.

It took me from being a believer in science (I grew up in a Catholic/Christian home, but always believed it was just a story to scare kids into behaving more or less) to reading the Bible and believing in its teachings.

As for my friend who was a staunch atheist that would pretty much laugh any time someone brought up the topic of 'God' or 'Religion, well as for him he did a complete u-turn.

edit on 4/26/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You have approached the seeking of God in the right way. We must be an example to others and not try to "preach" and push so much. Then we will seek on our own, the Holy Spirit will help too.

When I pray I feel as though I am about to float. It is just Him and Me. Conversation only with our Father. I have had that Holy Spirit experience only once, it whisped over me after praying for an hour in hospital.

I'm sure if you felt it was the Holy Spirit then trust your instincts. Bless You.

edit to add: I've never seen "It" though.
edit on 26-4-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HomeBrew

Of course the Holy Spirit makes its presence known to those who seek Him,

I've had plenty of manifestations of it myself, I could explain more in depth later,

but for now I'm going to bed, I'll get you more info tomorrow, (or you could read through some of my posts I've made in the past)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
He has been with me since my earliest memories and I still can not understand how this is not the case with many people and how that must feel, I don't remember one day when He was not with me.

Thank you for sharing your very special moment S&F
edit on 26-4-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
He has been with me since my earliest memories and I still can not understand how this is not the case with many people - I don't remember one day when He was not with me.
He is always with us, it is just a question of whether or not you acknowledge His existence.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Thanks for all the comments guys, it's an experience I have all but kept to myself for a long while. Partly because it was so personal but also because I do not like to come off as one who is preaching or anything, but knowing that I am not alone means a lot to me. Oddly enough is that I am highly mathematical and science oriented, grounded in logic, so my personal faith presents a duality of understanding for me. I challenge science with my faith and also challenge my faith with science. I honestly believe someday both will support and compliment each other.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomeBrew
Thanks for all the comments guys, it's an experience I have all but kept to myself for a long while. Partly because it was so personal but also because I do not like to come off as one who is preaching or anything, but knowing that I am not alone means a lot to me. Oddly enough is that I am highly mathematical and science oriented, grounded in logic, so my personal faith presents a duality of understanding for me. I challenge science with my faith and also challenge my faith with science. I honestly believe someday both will support and compliment each other.

Perhaps, that is why you were chosen!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

If you felt overwhelming comfort and peace it was the "comforter", the Holy Spirit. He was just showing you He is real, but He always points to Jesus. Did you feel unconditional love, joy, and acceptance?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV

Originally posted by quedup
He has been with me since my earliest memories and I still can not understand how this is not the case with many people - I don't remember one day when He was not with me.
He is always with us, it is just a question of whether or not you acknowledge His existence.

I don't really acknowledge this - You know how the sun shines in the sky in the day and the moon at night, I don't acknowledge this fact - it just is.
That's how it is with God - it just is. People go searching and reading for evidence of this - I search for a reason to debunk it - just in case I'm wrong and why others don't
FEEL what I feel - but I have yet to find one reason. It is so.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

If you felt overwhelming comfort and peace it was the "comforter", the Holy Spirit. He was just showing you He is real, but He always points to Jesus. Did you feel unconditional love, joy, and acceptance?

To be honest, the feeling that overcame me was peace and comfort. But the thought that overcame my mind was one of divinity. If I had understood my faith better at the time perhaps it would have had more clearly pointed to Jesus, but I can not say it was clear at the time. What I do know is that when I pray or have moments that are faith based, I still feel and remember the same thing. It's almost like it imprinted on me. And I would be lying if I did not say I felt a bit of wonder and awe as well as childlike in amazement.
edit on 26-4-2012 by HomeBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

To be honest, the feeling that overcame me was peace and comfort. But the thought that overcame my mind was one of divinity. If I had understood my faith better at the time perhaps it would have had more clearly pointed to Jesus, but I can not say it was clear at the time. What I do know is that when I pray or have moments that are faith based, I still feel and remember the same thing. It's almost like it imprinted on me.

Well, the Holy Spirit is divine too, the 3rd person of the trinity. And He is the "comforter". Go to an Assemblies of God church in your area, the Holy Spirit when He falls on a church service is AMAZING. It's so awesome to just be in His Presence, you never want church to end. Or I prefer a non-denominational church that seeks His Presence above all else.

If you accept Christ that same Holy Spirit resides in you.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I felt that same peace and serenity last summer, about 5 months after accepting Christ as my Savior. Been feeling it ever since. The fear i had is gone and i stopped being afraid of death and i began to heal from being agoraphobic and hermitage. That day i hit my knees and i could feel him standing there in front of me. I felt joy, peace, love, and awe all at the same time and my body shook with the effort of containing the message i had to give. It was like being in the presence of the King.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

I felt that same peace and serenity last summer, about 5 months after accepting Christ as my Savior. Been feeling it ever since. The fear i had is gone and i stopped being afraid of death and i began to heal from being agoraphobic and hermitage. That day i hit my knees and i could feel him standing there in front of me. I felt joy, peace, love, and awe all at the same time and my body shook with the effort of containing the message i had to give. It was like being in the presence of the King.

Very cool, but this is the part that gets me. Back then I was still just becoming interested and had not really accepted it all. Even now, although I believe in a divine higher power as well as Jesus, I cant honestly say I have given myself to him. In fact it kind of scares me to think I may have been "chosen". I know I have been given the proof and comfort but still.... I guess I am still just trying to figure it all out.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of Father Malachi Martin, and the biggest thing I ever learned from him is this;

While listening to an old Art Bell show with him as the guest, he mentioned that if you see an apparition of Mary or others, look at their feet. Because he says that the Irish has a saying; look at their feet.

What this means is if they don't have any feet they have something to hide, such as hooves, and the apparition may actually be a demon trying to mislead people.

So if you see an apparition of any sort, look at their feet.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I to have had some strange experiences. The last one happend in December 2011. My kids will be making their first communion so I've been teaching them prayers. The church gave them prayer books and I read the whole book to them. There were like 5 prayers to the holy spirit. Well early one morning probably at 2 am. I woke up and sat up in bed. At the foot of my bed there was a gold luminous ball of light. It was so beautiful, out of this world. It wasn't there long, maybe like 10 seconds and it shot off lightning fast through the window. A few days later same thing I woke up and it was at the foot of the bed but it just faded and disappeard. I wasn't scared, just in awe. I'm still not sure what to make of it, but I thought of the holy spirit because last month I went to a retreat with my kids and we watched a movie about St. Imelda. and the ball of light that she seen is like what I seen. Then it hit me, maybe what I seen was a spirit the holy spirit, I did pray for the holy spirit to come in December. I What was odd to I recall I had two very bad nightmares that month about my children being kidnapped and harmed.I woke up wanting to fight someone and very upset. I would say that's a parent's worst nightmare.

top topics

join